Notices

Getting Started!

Old 12-02-2006, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting Started!

I am new here & feeling my way around. I ask for your patience & any guidance that any of you may have to offer. I'm glad I found this place today...
Old 12-02-2006, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. We can try to guide you if you tell us a bit about yourself and what you're hoping to learn from SR. There are different forums that specialized in different needs - Alcohol, Substance Abuse, Friends and Family etc. Of course you can post anywhere and someone will answer you to the best of their ability.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm struggling with alcohol. I can go months at a time w/o a drop, but when a certain trigger hits I drink to get drunk (instead of dealing with whatever the trigger may have been), sometimes even for a few days. I believe this is called binge alcoholism. Then the depression comes on strong. After a few months I get comfortable & fool myself that yet again I have no problem.

That's it in a nutshell.

Thanks for responding!
Old 12-02-2006, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hope3

Red face Sounds like me.

Wow! that sounds alot like me. We can do it. We can, we can, we can!
Old 12-02-2006, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a pattern similar to this for many years, where I could drink socialy--maybe a little bit more than others, but gradualy the amount began to climb. Then I would have the occassional binge.

Once I became unemployed for reasons which at least superficialy were unrelated to drinking, with nothing to do and all day to do it, I turned into a fullblown alcoholic where drinking was my job.

After i got another job, that really didn't stop and I was then fully out of control.

It only took the right set of circumastances and opportunity before I went out of control, and I amsure other people are in that situation.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's where I'm heading if I don't stop. That is why so far AA has been so difficult, for months I don't even get a craving so I quit going to meetings...
Old 12-02-2006, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nascar,

Thanks for your response.

I hope you don't have to suffer any more losses than you already have. I don't actually attend AA meetings for logistical reasons, however especially when you are starting out, you must get support.

I had freinds come by every night for weeks to keep me company, and a girlfriend stay with me during withdrawels.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are absolutely right. I do need support, keeping that as a part of the overall goal is my struggle. I am trying, believe me. How long have you been sober if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.