Notices

being new to sobriety is tough relapse is worse

Old 12-01-2006, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

Unhappy being new to sobriety is tough relapse is worse

I was feeling really depressed and alone and after neary a week of sobriety I replapsed. Haddnt even planned on it. Went to make dinner and found some beer inthe fridge and ended up drinking it. Damn, I thought I was doing better w meetings, posting, asking for help and tryng to keep busy. Gusess Im starting over today. Hope today is better than yesterday emotionally and recovery wise. I feel depressed, anxious and sick just thinking about it.
Looking into aftercare and more help from doctors today.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try again and keep working at it. You can do this!
Old 12-01-2006, 05:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you made it back so quickly though. That's a good sign for your determination.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Just think of this as a learning experience. I know that I have relapsed and sometimes a relapse is good for us if we live through it and sometimes it helps us to put much more effort into our program. I am glad that you are here and try not to be too hard on yourself.

With Love and Respect

Vic
Old 12-01-2006, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You made it almost a week and you'll always have that. Just put the relapse behind you and don't drink today.
I'm a chronic relapser, so I know the feeling. Today is day six for me after my last two day binge.

Things will get better!

Hang in there,

Thorn
Old 12-01-2006, 06:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

Unhappy thanks all please keep em coming ! I need the support !

thanks to all
lucky thanks for the just for today posting
please keep the encouragement coming !!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had many slips, perhaps 400-500. I finally quit with the help of AA and have over 21 months now. If I can do it, you can. Don't quit before the miracle happens. I'm proof that they happen.

Jup.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Every sober day is a good one, keep at it, I do. Over time, I am beginning to learn that more and more, it's not worth it. Not all of us get it the first time. But dont give up, keep posting, keep reading here, and give it another try!

Have a great weekend!
S
Old 12-01-2006, 09:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Frstnm, in sobriety & AA we don't shoot our wounded. Just keep coming back, OK? There are those who go out and never make it back, and some of them suffer needlessly or die.

I guess I was lucky in the sense that sobriety "stuck" with me the first time. I have the attitude that if I choose to pick up again I'm going to go hard, and that will mean death. One thing I do understand though, is that I have to guard my sobriety, follow a program, and work the Steps. I too have just over 21 months, living proof that the program does work.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Like you I also have fumbled, stumbled, and grumbled. Point is once we know it can't be done without a huge price to pay you know it has to end. Just today I won't drink.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

don't just abstain.......get help...

hi.....don't beat yourself up over your recent relapse....we've all done it....many times...i am on day #7 after my recent relapse.....I was 35 days sober,when i felt like a switch had been turned off.....i got so depressed and was feeling so alone.....and being sober didn't give me any comfort.....so i went to the only thing i know to make me feel better...even if it was only for a few hours.....i realized my depression/anxiety was the root of my problem,with the help of a therapist.....so she and my doctor got together and put me on an antidepressant.....I feel more hopeful now,that i can stay away from alcohol.....i don't like feeling so depressed and hopeless all the time....and the alcohol just makes the depression worse(it is a depressant)...so....get help for the depression....whether it's from a therapist or a doctor.....and be good to yourself...
Old 12-04-2006, 06:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

frstnm, be easy on yourself. It is a process, learn from your slip and move on.

I recently, after a long period of sobriety, slipped. I did my best to learn from it and I put it behind me.

Peace, Levi