Notices

I Keep Saying Ill Stop

Old 11-30-2006, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Keep Saying Ill Stop

So, I keep saying I'll stop and then I drink again. Maybe posting here will get me some motivation. I drive home with my carpool, then I head to the liquor store for a nice 24oz Steel Reserve, so I have a nice buzz before I get home to my wife and kids. It sucks. I know the alcohol has made me 20lbs overweight. My blood pressure is too high. Oh, and it is not just one 24oz beer. I usually go out and get another while doing some late night errands. BTW those beers are equal to about 4 regular beers.

I know I am not in the league of some of you heavy hitters that do a bottle of vodka, but still I am ussuall downing the equivalent of 8-12 beers a night.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Swimming,

Welcome to SR and you're in the right place if you're looking for inspiration.

I'm glad you found us and we're here to offer you support. You can do this!
Old 11-30-2006, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hope3

Red face New Too!

Hi swimming, sounds like you are ready to face the facts like me. You made a good start by admitting it. I recently made a list of reasons for drinking and reasons not for drinking, I was amazed at how many reasons I came up with not to drink, and how few to drink, only two and they were bad reasons at that. Maybe this might help you too! I call it the ben franklin way of making a decision to either do something or not. best wishes hope3
Old 11-30-2006, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi swimming. Welcome !

Hopefully, you can arrest this disease early on. Some (well, most) of us had to hit some pretty hard times before we became reasonable.

There's a lot of sober people here that use a lot of different programs. I'm in AA myself, and find that it really works.

Good Luck and God Bless.

Edit: I used to say "Quittings easy, I do it all the time ! "
Old 11-30-2006, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Welcome Swimming...

In my opinion, if you think you have a problem, you probably do...

It dosen't matter how much or how little you drink, alcohol is alcohol...

Its best to nip it in the bud before your problem gets full blown...

One day at a time.

Steve

Old 11-30-2006, 09:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well I made it home

Traffic was bad so I was late already. Stopping for a beer would have made me really late, so that was an added push not to stop. I am going to bed right now so I cant sneak anything to drink. This will be my first day in years without a drink. *****!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you!!! You've got Day One down! Keep going. One day at a time.

Looking forward to getting to know you.

Hugs,
Candy Scratch
Old 12-01-2006, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good Morning

Woke up today feeling great. I looked forward to being able to tell you all that I had a successfull day. I think this forum might help me be successfull.

I am lucky that I did not drink enough to have any physical withdrawl symptoms. I just feel good.

One little thing. It was nice reading stories to my kids without falling asleep. Normally by story time the buzz is just wearing off enough to make me feel drowsy. They always fetch me a glass of ice water to help me stay awake. As you all know, it will be good for them too, that I have quit drinking.

Now I just hope I can start loosing my belly.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey, Swimming,

Good for you! I'm not in the big leagues yet, but I have cut back a lot since coming here. What you said about your kids really hit home for me. I only see them every other weekend, and when I was drinking, quite often I would doze off in the middle of the movie, and wake up to find they went to bed, or just went to their rooms. Now, when they visit, we watch TV, play board games, or just talk. You are so lucky to have "work up" to this while your babies are at "story time" age. It was just this year I swore not to drink in front of my children (all teens) anymore.

You have found a great place, full of knowlege, stories, but mostly, friends that have all been there.

Keep up the good work!

Have a great weekend!

S