Notices

residential - Pacifica

Old 11-24-2006, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question residential - Pacifica

(not sure if this is in the right place; feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate)

I'm headed into a residential treatment centre for the first time in a few days, after a couple of tries at AA and intensive outpatient programs. I've resisted going inpatient for a long time, but it looks like I'm not going to manage out here in the real world without a couple of months of sober time with intensive treatment.

I am terrified.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences they want to share about residential treatment, expecially at this particular facility, Pacifica Treatment Centre in Vancouver, BC. It is a co-ed facility, and I will start in their 'Level I - Stabilization' program where they will design a treatment plan and help me deal with whatever barriers I have to making treatment a success. 'Level II' is a four-week program including individual and group counselling, education, meetings, and activities promoting a healthy lifestyle and peer interaction.

The biggest fear I have (that I hope will be addressed during Stabilization) is that I am a Dual Diagnosis patient - I have Major Depression and an eating disorder, and other compulsive behaviours, as well as my primary addiction to alcohol. In residential, I'll have to give up all my coping mechanisms at once. This may well be the best way for me to address the underlying reasons for my addiction(s), but I am afraid that giving up control over all these behaviours, especially food, will be overwhelming.

My eating disorder is not severe lately, as long as I am allowed to make my own neurotic choices about what I eat, but I am afraid that without my (slightly bizarre) staples, and with free access to abundant food and a private washroom, bulimia will come back full-force to replace alcohol.

Also, depression usually seems to come up within a couple of weeks of sobering up. Of course, the staff will be trained to handle this, but if my motivation wanes and the blackness takes over, will I be able to make the best use I can of the treatment?

If anyone wants to share, either by pm or in this post, about their own treatment experiences (including details like how you deal with food, privacy/lack thereof, structured time/lack thereof, or anything else that might be helpful), it would be a comfort to me.

Thanks to anyone who got through such a long first post.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

I have no experience in this situation.
However..
I commend you for making a wise move in
seeking professional help.

Blessings..
Old 11-24-2006, 07:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Thumbs up Good For You

Sounds like you are serious about recovering ! When you go to Pacifica..and as with Recovery in General we need HOW...Honesty, Open-mindedness & Willingness...we need to be willing to go to ANY Lengths to Live...I have a couple of girlfriends who were on their deathbed with their ED and Alcoholism when I met them a few years ago..They had to treat BOTH...they actually went to the BC Womens Hosp ED clinic. Apparently Excellent..They have arrested both and are Serene and Sober - One is even fighting off breast cancer at the moment..and succeeding..Our recovery really depends on how badly we want it - how willing we are to follow the suggestions of those who have gone before us...whether or not we are willing to stop trying to do it OUR WAY...

If you tell the People at Pacifica Honestly about all these things that you are worried about..and ask them to help you deal with them..They Will
I will pray for your sobriety and Health...Good for you !!! Don't give up!!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have no personal experience with inpatient but have a family member who did as well as some friends in AA who have gone that route.

My best suggestion to you is this. Be totally honest during intake. Tell them everything you have just told us. Give them the information they need to help you. Give yourself every chance for success.

Past that, go in with an open mind. Look for the similarities in the shares you will here and look past the differences. Journal. You will probably have lots of worksheets and reading. Do them 110%. You are WORTH this!

Best of luck!
Kellye
Old 11-25-2006, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Best of luck to you...

I have no personal experience but I agree with everyone here that said to be honest with the people there. I'm sure they have heard every con story in the book...

You have to be true to yourself so don't hold anything back. Your life depends on being 100% truthful...

Stay strong and positive...

One day at a time.

Steve

Old 11-25-2006, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, you've gotten good advice here.

Be honest and be open-minded and you will be fine.

Please keep in touch as much as you can and let us know how you're doing.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

i went to impatient treatment at hazelden's rehab in MN back when i was 19. it was one of my fondest memorys. immediately upon returning home i used and spent the next 5-6 years out there REAL BAD. but i had alot of fun during those 30 days. my last 2-3 years out there using i wished i could go back to Hazelden. but i had burned my bridges with my parents so i had to do it the hard way (public detox for 3 1/2 days followed by public recovery house for 8 months). thats what i needed to go through.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't have any experience with treatment centres but wanted to wish you good luck. I suffered from Bulimia in my teens and it was horrible. Just be as honest as possible with your counsellors and with yourself. Hang in there..
God bless.
Joanne