Notices

I think it's time to say hello

Old 11-24-2006, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I feel I'm a mess

I think it's time to say hello

Hi, I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now and it's about time I said hello to everybody.

I'm 48 years old and live in a town on the south coast of England, and I have a drink problem.

Where do I start to explain ?, I work, am fairly well paid, own my own flat (apartment), have a car and a motorbike, and I drink practically every day after work. Every morning I say to myself that I'm not going to have a drink today, and nearly every day I buy strong lager or wine on the way home from work and just drink it.
Sometimes I'll go out in the evening to buy more if the local shop's still open, and every morning the cycle repeats itself, it's like a monkey on my back whispering 'go on, one bottle of wine won't hurt', and I'm really scared it'll get worse.

I don't usually drink spirits, but last w/e I bought a bottle of Jack Daniels, my little monkey was saying 'no problem, just have a couple' but of course I stayed up half the night and drank the entire bottle, and felt ashamed the next day. Most of my drinking is on my own as well.

I've read a lot of stuff on here that looks really useful, and I know there are a lot of people out there worse off than me, but I'm seriously worried about my drinking, but I can't stop.

I was supposed to meet some friends last w/e for a day riding motorcycles (which has been a great love since I was a teenager) - but I didn't go because I'd been up all night drinking JD, and I felt ashamed, but I still drank some more that day.

Anyway, that's me, and thanks for reading.

Good luck and best wishes to everyone.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

I'm glad you decided to join in the sharing!

I too was 48 when I began AA recovery.

Blessings..
Old 11-24-2006, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

The cycle of drinking and feeling the shame/guilt afterwards is so very hard to get out of. But, you've taken a step by posting here and sharing your story. There is lots of support, so keep posting.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you for posting...you will find so much support here and no judgement...you can find a way to quit and make your life better...and you have taken a very brave step by admitting you have a problem...i remember when i finally posted that was an addict, i was shaking like a leaf...even though i was doing it under a false name to total strangers...typing the words meant i was finally admitting to myself that i had a problem...and it took a huge amount of courage...you are very brave and you should be proud that you are reaching out for help..and you will find help and support here...
Old 11-24-2006, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi briggsy,

Welcome to SR and I can so relate. You landed in a good spot here and had the courage to talk about your drinking.

Keep coming back.

Kevin
Old 11-24-2006, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

Hello Briggsy, I know that Monkey well and have for some time. SR is such a good place to come. a great group of people here. Take care, and look forward to more of your post. Jay