Notices

I need some quick help!

Old 11-23-2006, 10:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need some quick help!

First off let me say that I am not an alcoholic and I have never had any dealings with an alcoholic until now. I am currently the caregiver for a 69 year old native american male. He is a recovering alcoholic. He has just gotten over strep where he was given an expectorant that contained alcohol. I did not realize that something as minor as that could cause "set backs" for him regarding his alcoholisim. His son and daughter actually clued me in to this. None of us thought about it until the poor man was begging us all for a drink. As far as I know, his alcoholisim has been a battle but he has been sober now for a number of years. The problem I am having now is that since the cough syrup issue, he has begged anyone who will listen to bring him alcohol. He is also very angry, very depressed and very aggitated. I do not know what to do. This is actually the last thing he needs with all the other health problems he is experiencing at the moment but it is now unavoidable. He is pretty much bed ridden. Do any of you have any advice or any ideas of what I can do to help him? Anything at all would be graciously accepted and I thank you in advance. At this point, I am willing to try anything.

Thank you all,
Jeff Chilton
Old 11-23-2006, 10:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you contact your local AA? There should be a local # around here somewhere and have a person from that local AA to come to your location and speak to him.

I know that you can access the Big Book online.

You are great for being so compassionate.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Click the Resource link up at the top left corner of this page. I found an entire page worth of information.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here's the link to the Resource page
http://www.soberrecovery.com/links/resources.html

you can then find a wealth of options to help this gentleman. He's lucky to have you with him. Whatever you do, please be strong and don't give in. It's as good as death for him right now.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Perhaps talking to his family dr or anyone like that would be a good idea? Good luck to the dude, btw.

Marte