Notices

new here and starting again

Old 11-20-2006, 06:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
not a greeter

new here and starting again

I drank too much, too often. I've slurred, stumbled, fallen, blacked out, passed out and hurt the ones I love with my actions. I need to stop and I am really trying.

It's been only 6 days so far w/o drinking.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
fix my brain!!

6 days is a great start! Each day is a day closer to a better life.
I myself just found this site yesterday. I looks like a great place to be for support and caring! Let us know how you feel, what ur going thru, whatever and we'll be here to listen and help in anyway we can!

Stay Strong! You can do it!
Old 11-20-2006, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Midas

Welcome Aboard! We're glad you're here. Congrats on the sober time so far!

Old 11-20-2006, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

6 days sounds great! Are you using any support group?
Old 11-20-2006, 07:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on seeking a solution.

Blessings
Old 11-20-2006, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by michski
6 days sounds great! Are you using any support group?
Well, this and I went to 2 AA meetings last week (Thurs & Fri). I'm leaving for an evaluation at an "intensive outpatient" treatment center in a few minutes. I'm scared.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I'm back and I'm stating there tonight. I'm leaving in a few minutes.

This place suggests their group treatment as well as AA. I'm going to do as much as I feel up to right now. For tonight I will go to this meeting and for tonight I will not drink. Hopefully tomorrow will find me at an AA meeting sometime during the day.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

there is a solution ...

see big book online. search.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

sounds like you are doing great, good for you and maybe check out the thread starting with 'what i don't miss about drinking' it reminds me everyday why i quit
Old 11-20-2006, 04:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad that you're here!!

Reaching out and getting as much support as you can is very important! There is strength in numbers.

You will find lots of support here... hope you will stick around!
Old 11-20-2006, 05:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Great you found us
Old 11-21-2006, 06:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Malfunction, thanks for the bb online suggestion. I do have a "little" book I received from my 1st AA meeting though and I went to Barnes and noble and actaully bought what I'm pretty sure is the Big Book. I have been reading some and will continue.

Liise, thanks for your suggestion too. I haven't checked out that particular thread yet.

Hope4life,Carol & Nogard, thanks too for your replies and support.

Now... I have a problem, in addition to my "problem". I went to the group thing last night. They call it IOP (intensive outpatient), so I will too (less typing LOL). I felt really good about starting and feel like it's going to do me some good.

My problem is my spouse. He wanted me to stop drinking. It was causing marital difficulties to say the least. We fought because I wouldn't see it, because I couldn't accept it. Now I have. I have agreed to finally do something to get better for me, for us, for our family. We have insurance. This place is covered. It is going to cost some $$$ though. He now wants to shop around and see if there's a less costly place I guess. He says he pays good money for his insurance plan, so there's no reason to have to pay more out of pocket for treatment.

I feet comfortable with the counselor, and the group seemed fine last night. I don't feel his full support towards my recovery. I feel kind of discouraged this morning about it because of his comments and attitude to me when I came home last night. Why do I have to fight about trying to get well when it's something I think we both want???

Any suggestions or comments?
Old 11-21-2006, 05:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Sorry to be bumping up my own thread...

I am feeling so, so low right now. I just came back from court and I am facing a possible 6 months in jail + $1000 fine. I'm scared and upset. My husband is supportive one minute and then blaming me for EVERYTHING the next.

I have to get a lawyer. The next court date is January 9th. I'm going to keep going to the IOP I started last night (as long as the husband doesn't make me find someplace else) and try to get better but I don't feel so hopeful right now.

I'm not drinking, and I'm not going to, but I am crying and very down .
Old 11-21-2006, 05:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Court and the prospect of jail can be really scary. Hopefully they will suspend most or all of your jail time. They most likely will appreciate that you're getting help before they force it on you. Do they have any kind of deferred prosecution in your state?

What ever happens, you'll get through it. Hang in there.

DK
Old 11-21-2006, 07:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Thank you doorknob. I'm not sure what deferred prosecution is. I do know that by the date of the next court appearance I will have made it through most, if not all of the IOP. I hope the court sees that as a positive.

I have to deal with the uncertainty of the outcome. My husband doesn't seem to want to understand my emotions at all.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Funny, your life is going to get better and the one that wanted you to go get help is now concerned about dollars? That is wrong. Go to the treatment centre and get better. Money be damned, it is your health that is important. If the counsellors are supportive and work for you, why risk going some place else where you don't know that will happen.

In terms of whether the Courts will take into consideration that you are in treatment and doing something about your situation, YES. I am a lawyer and deal with sentencing all the time.

Courts take it very seriously when you are doing something to deal with the situation... that means that you will likely not end up there before them again and they like that.

Peace, Levi
Old 11-22-2006, 04:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Leviathon thank you. I read your post last night before turning off my computer. It calmed me enough to try to get some rest.

Today is another day. Day 8 of not drinking for me.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sure Gypsy. I can relate to the situation. I have struggled with this affliction for a while now. I recently slipped and drank ... twenty four hours of that crap and I feel like a train wreck, even though I am not. I just know the symptoms of depression and stuff that I have to go through to get to the other side of this and I hate starting over again, but the good news is that it was only 24 hrs.

Keep up the good work and you will end up sober for life. That is my dream.

Peace, Levi

PS I am glad I could be a source of comfort. The law and judges are predictable, that is why I can comfortably tell you that they will take your efforts into account. I cannot predict how they will decide the situation, but the more you do to help yourself the more the court will do to help you.

L
Old 11-22-2006, 09:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I suggest you take a small notebook into AA meetings.
Note the name of the meeting..time... date..subject

and have the chair person or another member sign it.

That way you can show the court you have been attending.

Way to go on day 8!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Originally Posted by leviathon
Sure Gypsy. I can relate to the situation. I have struggled with this affliction for a while now. I recently slipped and drank ... twenty four hours of that crap and I feel like a train wreck, even though I am not. I just know the symptoms of depression and stuff that I have to go through to get to the other side of this and I hate starting over again, but the good news is that it was only 24 hrs.

Keep up the good work and you will end up sober for life. That is my dream.

Peace, Levi

PS I am glad I could be a source of comfort. The law and judges are predictable, that is why I can comfortably tell you that they will take your efforts into account. I cannot predict how they will decide the situation, but the more you do to help yourself the more the court will do to help you.

L
Welcome Gypsy Tears...

I agree 100% with Levi...

My suggestion is to stay sober, find an AA group that your comfortable with and hopefully a sponsor that you trust and can confide in. Do these things until your trial in Jan. Maybe the sponsor can accompany you to court and be a character witness for you...

I agree with Carol, keep a log of meetings you have attended. If you attend meetings that sign slips, maybe they will sign your log...

Like Levi said, we can't tell you what the judge will do, but if your follow these steps, it sure can't hurt...

Best of luck to you...

One day at a time.

Steve