SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   TOPIC: Are You From The "Old School Days, Ways Of Living? Or Is It Family Traditions? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/108241-topic-you-old-school-days-ways-living-family-traditions.html)

aasharon90 11-19-2006 07:48 AM

TOPIC: Are You From The "Old School Days, Ways Of Living? Or Is It Family Traditions?

Hi im Sharon and im an Alcoholic.

By the Grace of my HP and people
like you here in SR i havent had
a drink of alcohol since 8-11-90.
For that im truely grateful.

This came to mind moments ago.

Reflecting on my life and things I
have carried into this life from
my childhood and things my parents
taught me, i was wondering how
many of you still follow those "old
school" ways like i have?

For example....as a child I use to
go to church on Saturday afernoon
at 4pm. then out to eat for supper.

We carried that same tradition when
we had our own kids until we moved
here to Houston 10 yrs ago.

The time of the mass here at the
church around the corner from us is
at 5:30 pm on Saturday....sure we
began attending at that time, bringing
the kids and then listening to them
play their Trombone and French Horn in
the choir....

Now that they r off in college I don't
attend church any longer....not that i
dont miss it, because i do....im just so
set in my "old school" ways of life that
i won't give it up.

And its not just that....there are countless
other things in my life that i continue
to cling onto because of the "old school"
ways my parents brought us up on.

Are you one of those people that
live from the "old school" ways of life.

What about family traditions? Is family
traditions the same as "old school ways?"

Would you like to share you "old school
ways or family traditions with us if ud like.
Id like to here ur ESH on this topic, please.

Thanks for letting me share.

aasharon90 11-19-2006 09:26 AM

Did your parants ever tell you they use to walk
miles to school in the snow? I use to walk to grade
school and church lots of times....not in the snow
tho..as we dont have that white stuff much down
south here in Houston and Louisiana. : )

Lollipop 11-19-2006 09:38 AM

LOL Sharon,
YUP actually my grandpa's favorite was..... "You kids these days.....when I was a boy, we had to walk 3 miles UP hill EACH way in a foot of snow BAREFOOT just to get to school!!!" hehe thanks for bringing up that memory....funny, I have told MY kids the same story, and got the same reaction from them that Gramps got from us......much laughter!!!! :)
Liss

aasharon90 11-19-2006 10:20 AM

...if the kids today just knew how hard it was back in the day...

They just don't know what hard is till theyve lived it...lol

That is funny Liss..lol i can hear my parents saying the darnest things that they use to have to do when they were growing up.... lol

Penny candy as to what it cost today...

Wooden stoves...lol

You worked hard, played hard, slept hard....everything was hard...lol for them...lol

....and we complain so much about today.... : )

Maybe if our kids had a taste of what life was back when i wonder if they would appreciate things today? funny isnt it..lol

Hanzade 11-19-2006 10:35 AM

Hmmm, I would say no, because my father was/still is a very abusive person, not so much physically, but emotionally. I have debated whether or not to contribute to this topic, as I didn't want to bring you down. Feel free to remove it if it brings the mood down.

But, on the positive side, I have been dealing with this issue and I was finally put it to rest and forgave everybody involved. :)

Looking forward to reading more.

Jersey Nonny 11-19-2006 02:48 PM

Uh, huh! Guilty, as charged, on both counts!

I'm even "old school" with regard to AA...and, I'm sure it must annoy some of you young uns. But, as with everything else...with change comes progress (or is it the other way around?)...hopefully, it's all for the best.

I know, when I was a kid, it was still the age of "neighborhood schools", and the furthest anyone had to walk was about 10 blocks. Now, everything is so spread out, most of the kids go by school bus. It was a big deal, when we got into junior high and high school, and had to ride the public transportation buses...there were no school buses.

Family traditions seem to have gone the way of family togetherness. The extended families used to live very close together, if not all in the same house. Now, everyone is spread out across the state/country, doing their own thing. It's a big deal if everyone manages to get together for holidays...usually, it's weddings and funerals.

I'm afraid at my age I tend to wax a bit nostalgic...longing for "the good old days and the good old ways"...but, who am I to thwart progress?

BTW...I do "arm-chair mass" via tv...that's if I wake up on time...ah, well.