Notices

An Attitude of Gratitude

Old 11-17-2006, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

An Attitude of Gratitude

It's time to Talk Turkey. Yes, next week, most of the folks in the USA will be celebrating our typical Thanksgiving Day...too much football, too much food, usually followed by a nap, and too many leftovers.

But, those of us who have managed to put together a few 24's of clean and sober time know we have so much more for which to be grateful. One of my friends from another thread reminded me of a practice I used to participate in during my early recovery.

Many of the meetings in the area would open the doors early and have covered dishes, platters of food, etc. for the ones of us in AA who were far from home, or hadn't family with whom to celebrate.

It was such a good feeling to do that. And, we would have a Gratitude Meeting, when everyone was invited to share on what they were thankful for. It was great! I thought it might be nice to have our own Gratitude Meeting here at Sober Recovery...so, please, no matter what part of the world you're from:

What have you been able to do, or hope to do, that might have been difficult, if not impossible, while you were still drinking/drugging?

How has your life changed without alcohol/drugs?

Just share with us anything that comes to mind for which you are grateful as a result of your being alcohol and/or drug free.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I don't mind starting off:

I'm grateful that none of my four grandchildren or my three-year-old great grandbaby have ever seen me "under the influence"...I quit drinking just two months before my oldest granddaughter was born.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am grateful for finding this web-site and people like you. I have a place to turn to for help now.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am grateful for this site and the people here. And also my son, because he makes not drinking more meaningful.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I know what you mean about the SR site. Since I'm unable to make regular meetings anymore, I'm grateful I found this place a year ago...I consider it my "24/7 Meeting".
Old 11-17-2006, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Im Grateful that at the Meeting tonight the whole room asked me To be Tea Lady.......!
I make the Worst cup of Tea..!

Commitment's ....Keep ya Clean...

Im really Chuffed actually....,LOL...

And Im Very Greatful to Share this,..With ((((((((ALL))))))) of the Great Folk on SR who Help US, Everyday,....!

Ditto ((((((((((rae)))))))))......
Old 11-17-2006, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I am grateful that the aching gnawing feeling in my tummy has been removed and is replaced by laughter love and life.

Kevin
Old 11-18-2006, 05:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

rae, gratefull that i'm seeing some Grattitude, not that rotton Attitude...

as i have been show, action is key...

happy Holidays...

agw & gol............................. pattee
Old 11-18-2006, 06:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Keeper of the Stars

Smile

I am grateful for a wonderfully supportive spouse...........who has taken the vow very seriously of "IN SICKNESS AND IN HEALTH".
Old 11-18-2006, 08:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am grtaeful to ahve another chance a lot of people never get. I am grateful i kept my apartment instead of losing all my things and being homeless like lots of people I know. I am grateful there are 3 people who care about me, even if they are all more than 1000 miles from me.

I am grateful I can strat to take things one day at a time. A friend said to me today after years of knowing me, I have a real limit in my ability to cotemplate the future without simply wanting to give up and feel it is all hopeless.

For me, one foot in front of the other will get me there.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I am greatful for my warm house, which I thank every time I come home.

I am greatful for the friends I have in the Program. I am graetful for the friends I've made here.

I am greatful for another chance.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I'm grateful that I quit drinking before I was fired from an excellent job.

I'm grateful that job offered free tuition to the employees, so I was able to realize a life-long dream of acquiring a college degree. (My mother, daughter, and granddaughter were present to see me graduate "with honors".)

I'm grateful I stayed sober, even after I was "down-sized" right out of that job after 27 years there.

I'm grateful I was able to opt for early retirement which included an excellent incentive package, so that I'm financially independent and able to live fairly well between pension and social security.

I'm grateful the retirement package included a lump sum sufficient to allow me to realize another life-long dream...a trip to Europe...and, I was actually able to go twice.

I'm grateful that, although I have many physical problems, my mind is still fairly sharp...at least I am not yet afflicted with alzheimer's (which seems to run in the family).

I'm grateful that I've lived long enough to enjoy having a great-granddaughter...it's awesome.

I'm grateful I was never one for a lot of material things, so just having a roof over my head and food on the table keeps me humble and grateful.

As I promised Steve when he shared about the anticipated birth of his granddaughter, the following is a pleasant memory I wanted to share with Steve and all of you.

The granddaughter who attended my college graduation used to go to AA Meetings with me and knew the Lord's Prayer and Serenity Prayer before she even started in pre-school. One day when she was five years old, after she and I had been on a shopping spree, we decided to rest for a bit. There were kitchen chairs set up on display in two rows and we sat down. She turned to me and said, "Make betend we're at a meeting, Nonny." I said, "O.K" She jumped up to face me, put both hands on her hips, and said (in a loud little girl voice), "My name is Marissa, and I'm an alcoholic." I heard some laughter behind me and turned to see a couple who had apparently gotten a big kick out of the performance. I simply shrugged and said, "So much for anonymity."

And, who knows what the future will bring, and how many new reasons to be grateful may be waiting for me...and for all of you, too.

Just in case everyone gets particularly busy between now and Thursday, I'm sending you special
Old 11-20-2006, 12:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

So grateful that today I have 18 months clean and sober.

Grateful because its not by my will but by the fellowship of NA and AA, plus all the members here and my loving HP.

Clean Sober and walking with my head held high.

Thank you.

Kevin
Old 11-20-2006, 08:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Keeper of the Stars

Smile

BUMPING IT UP!

I am seriously grateful for the small things...........like:

strong, black coffee

finding a penny; heads up

getting a compliment; and knowing how to accept it

watching people grow in the program

a good, clean joke

an extra hour of sleep

an unexpected hug
Old 11-21-2006, 08:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

It's true, Mackie...the best things in life are free!
Old 11-21-2006, 09:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Grateful that I have experienced a moment of clairty once again...and that I want to get sober!

Grateful for my family and that I have a few sober friends that I can count on.

Grateful that I have a job, car, and driver's license.

Grateful that I found this website.