Notices

Salvation Army Rehab?

Old 11-14-2006, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Salvation Army Rehab?

I am living in Virginia at the present time with my mother. I am a recovering alcoholic and I was evicted from my house in Kansas in 2004. I cannot find a job here and I hate the mountains and the cold. I do not want to stay here. I have talked to the Salvation Army people in Jacksonville Florida about going in to their mens alcohol treatment center there for 8 or 9 months.
Does anyone know about this place? From what they tell me its a good place however you have to work in their stores for your room and board and this gives you no chance to find a job. I am not lazy or anything I just need a fresh start and I thought Florida might be a good place to get a fresh start on life. I have some telemarketing and aircraft assembly experience and I can do alot of things...I am fearful however..I have a car and some other stuff....my computer, tools etc. I just need a chance and no one around here will hire me...I am very depressed and I want out of here....any input would be appreciated...esepcially about the Salvation Armys' program...
I am just a bit apprehensive of having to work for nothing...what do I do if I need something they can't provide?...I am a bit nervous about it but I have to do something...
Old 11-14-2006, 08:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by kcathometaz
I am just a bit apprehensive of having to work for nothing...what do I do if I need something they can't provide?
You would not be working for nothing. You will get rehab, food, and a bed as payment for your efforts. You won't get any extra but you are getting paid.

They will provide for your "needs" Our wants are where the problems lay.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My cousin just completed their program in Southern California...He has a fresh start an I am grateful that they helped him....I wish you the best.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yeah I know they would supply my needs..I just dont want to end up in a cult type environment...I have no trouble working for my room and board but my "needs" may not be what they believe are needs...I think it sounds like a good program though and I would be a good and helpful "soldier"..........no good is goig to happen to me here stuck in poor Appalachia...
Old 11-14-2006, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I thought this is what you wanted from your earlier post.

A fresh start..rehab..warm weather..a different city.

If nothing else..the job market is better there.

Just go. Let HP handle the outcome. Blessings
Old 11-14-2006, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah I got to do something,..I am not very trusting in a God or anything else for that matter however...
Old 11-14-2006, 06:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

i went through a recovery house for 8 months but i chose not to do SalVa. like you stated you work for room and board and they give you literally $1.00 a week. personally a recovery house worked better for me. the one i went through had a schedule like this:

MON: 8-9pm (peer group) 9:30-10pm (General Inspection)
TUES: 7-8:30 (family meeting/AA meeting) 9:30-10pm (General Inspection)
WED: 8-9pm (peer group) 9:30-10pm (GI)
THURS: wanders AA meeting 9:30-10pm (GI)
SAT: 8:30-9am (GI)
SUN: 9:30-10pm (GI) 10:00-11:00pm (wrap-up)

the rest of the time your free to find a job of your liking. at my house we had 18 guys. peer group is when the house splits up into little groups and everyone shares about where they're at. on thursdays everyone travels as a house to a different AA meeting each week.

the requirements were do a 90/90. get a sponser and work steps. pay $120 rent weekly. once you do your 4th step and schedule your 5th step with your sponser, the managers and the sponser talk and you get off curfew. curfew is 1am but once off curfew you can take up to 3 overnights a week if you choose.

it was the best thing i ever did.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What is the Salvation Army experience like? I live near Cleveland Ohio and am thinking of getting in their rehab program. I have detoxed 3 times in the last year and a half. I'm an alcoholic and need a lifetime type of commitment. Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sorry, Relapser, but this thread is over eight years old.

You might want to start your own thread introducing yourself. You'll find a lot of support here. Welcome to SR.