Notices

Any Moms Out There Keeping Sane While Not Using Part 3

Old 11-13-2006, 12:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone!

Hey Melissa, here in Portland (Oregon), we have a company called Free Geek.
I know there are some others around the country. They're basiclly "Goodwill" for computers. They take donations of old hardware, fix, and then sell or give back to non-profits and people in need. I know from my 'Googling' that Waynesboro, etc. is between 25 & 30,000 people so I don't know if they would have a Free Geek. What you could do is search the neighboring larger cities and maybe you could find one or something similar. The other thing is to see if there is a "Freecycle" group in your area. If you want to PM me, I can explain more about these things.
I'm thinking that if you expend some mental energy on trying to find a free new computer or some free repair work, you will be distracted from drinking and also be doing something positive towards helping conquer the beast. I don't do AA for my own reasons, so when I need some help I log on here. It's not a replacement for AA and I'm not suggesting that, but if you could get a computer up and running at home, at least you would be able to log in for support when you need it. I'm just full of great ideas now that I'm sober...I'll be glad to help do what I can from here. Hang in there baby....it's always darkest just before dawn.
Maureen
Old 11-13-2006, 12:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Beezy, I'm thinking of you and sending you lots of hugs.
Maureen
Old 11-13-2006, 12:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Mamma's!!

Today is my birthday, and I just feel kinda blah...

The only person that has told me Happy Birthday, is my Mom. She called me this morning... We have a HORRIBLE relationship! But she did call me...

I just want to be in a better mood!

Hugs,
Alissa
Old 11-13-2006, 12:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I hope you find something to cheer you up today. Maybe you could skip down the sidewalk a ways and it will make you smile.

Fred, sbrgrl, ayla, jane, scoot, beezy, alissa, german, SS, SJ... Holy Cow do we have a load of moms with us now. I'm so happy that all you really newly sober moms have found us. I agree that f2f is the best really early on, but doing anything to help yourself is better than sitting at home drinking because you don't know how to get help.

I think that you could talk to the women of any meeting and ask what they think of having your kids. I know there was a mom in my group who dragged her kids to every meeting for years. She's now 10 years sober and everyone remembers her kids (and it wasn't a women's group nor was it "kid friendly")
Old 11-13-2006, 12:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have been doing housework but my mind keeps wandering...I wish my daughter was home...this just sucks so bad.....
Old 11-13-2006, 12:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

(((((Beezy)))))

I wish I was there! We could have coffee and pie! Where do you live? I'm on my way!

Hugs,
Alissa
Old 11-13-2006, 12:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Alissa...I posted it earlier...but I think you missed it....
Old 11-13-2006, 01:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to Alissa
Happy Birthday to you!
Old 11-13-2006, 01:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thank you sbrgrl, and Beezy!

I'm sorry Beezy, I did see where you told me. I was mainly talking about my boyfriend! He didn't even tell me! How Rude? lol

Hugs,
Alissa
Old 11-13-2006, 01:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by janeeyre
Oh, Melissa--I'm sorry stuff isn't going well with this today! That sucks, but we're still here for you.
Books: Hmmmm.... I'd say the most valuable book I've read so far is "Beyond the Influence" by Katherine Ketcham--get ahold of that ASAP. Another one I love is "Drinking--A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp--this memoir is a real page-turner, and pretty motivating, too.
Hey Jane....i'm reading "Drinking--A Love Story" now....it's pretty good. Another excellent book is "Broken" by William Cope Moyers / Katherine Ketcham. I could not put this book down.....it's the memoir of Cope Moyers (son of Bill Moyers) and i found it very inspirational.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALISSA!!!!!!

you've got the best gift of all now--getting to know and love yourself again!

ss--reading all you can about alcoholism, coming here and posting and getting a sponsor really help if going to meetings is hard. whenever you get the urge to drink, come here and post; and if you can't, call AA. just get your mind off drink by venting it out. reading, watching, talking, posting, walking, primal screams in closet--all these things seem to help. exercise, eating right and being kind to yourself go a long way too.

i've read "beyond the influence" and "under the influence" and a bunch of aa books and literature. i also have a hazeldon daily meditations book. bti is wonderful and really helpful in explaining the medical side of the addiction.

i read "drinking a love story" back when it first came out--mid 90s? i hid it in my dresser--lol! remember thinking how much it wasn't like me i did the same with the movies "28 days" and "when a man loves a woman."
now i can see myself in them but those women seemed so different from me at the time. you know, i would never be so bad off as to have to go to inpatient treatment...you know i only drink too much every now and then... duh?

jane--i remember my male hairdresser, who is going through a divorce, telling me about his 3-year-old son's birthday party. his soon-to-be-ex-wife had wine for the adults at the party. he thought this was outrageous, saying "who would serve alcohol at a kid's party?' me, i sit there nodding but thinking "good grief, i can't remember the last kid's party where there wasn't alcohol for the grownups." wine and/or beer is nearly always standard around here at get-togethers, kids parties, halloween trick-or-treating, family dinner parties, tailgates, you-name-it. i thought it was weird not to a have it--lol! crazy what you get used to.

good night all! back to my crazy kids. we went to see the escape claus at the movies today. it actually wasn't bad. no real violence, language or bad values. my kids all 6 and under and the older kids were glued to the screen. my 3 yo was typically bored 15 minutes into it. it was raining here so i was just glad there was a suitable something to do!
Old 11-13-2006, 02:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

LOL Scoot.... I totally remember watching those movies...When a Man Loves a Woman! When someone else would come into the room I would switch the channel real quick. Didn't want anyone to make a correlation between the woman on the screen and me!

Have any of you watched the show Intervention?

Simplysweet, I totally forgot about the AA hotline. People will answer at all hours. Keep sharing with us. We all care about you!

Oops the baby is awake...gotta run
Old 11-14-2006, 05:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Simply Sweet

2 days

Thanks to all of you very beautiful women. Today is my second day. I did go to urgent care to get something for anxiety and to help me sleep. I had a lot of cold sweats all night, but nothing really extreme. The doctor wanted me to go to the ER because he is worried about me getting major withdrawl from the amount that I have drank. I must say that something beautiful has come over me, because at this point, right this instance, I do not even want to drink. It was nice to wake up this morning without feeling like I hit a Mack truck. Life has so much more than this. I will attend the one meeting a week that I can with my children, get involved with the church and get some of the literature mentioned. Then I think it is time to clean house with my relationship (if you call it that). They are my goals. They are my future and I am going to do this - successfully. Thank you sooooo much.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:49 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sbrgrl
Have any of you watched the show Intervention?
I love that show....although sometimes i find myself fantasising (sp) about that being me getting high.....and i can see myself smoking the crack & meth even though i've never done any kind of hard core drug. WTF...i'm a sick little girl.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:53 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

SS, isn't it great to have that feeling. Try to write down some of what you were either thinking or experiencing just before quitting and also some of these great feelings sober. You will probably come across a time that you will want to pull them out and refresh your memory. It sucks that our brain is wired to play tricks, and it's really good at its job.

Ig, glad to see you around a bit more.

Beezy, I'm so happy that you're back. I hope that you will take very good care of yourself during this mourning period.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:03 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!

Whew! Where to start...I'm starting to think the whole world has gone mad! My day started off with my shrieking hormonal darling having a meltdown over not being able to find her cheerleading outfits. Today is picture day and she was taking all of them because she obviously wasn't listening when the coach told them which one to wear. I launder them and give them to her to put away/hang up...so of course it's MY fault she didn't do it, thus not being able to find them in her pig pen, I mean, room. Husband was an idiot (again) and I got into a screaming match with him. We were suppose to take a little day trip today for some lunch and shopping. I opted out due to the fact that I did not want to be stuck all day with him being such a d!ck....two of my best friends are in complete crisis mode over the men in their lives, I'm on my home phone with one, and my cell phone with the other, and another one of our friends is emailing me saying can you believe what's going on with them???

I've finally decided to try my best to make it through the holidays and then tell dumba$$ I want a divorce. I cannot and should not live like this any longer. I'm trying so hard to be a good mom...he tells me I'm not and throws the past in my face constantly. His drunken tirades are getting worse and worse. And my daughter should not be walking out the door for school hearing us screaming at each other....it's been a rotten morning all the way around. So, please quick, someone make me laugh!!!!

And, Alissa, Happy Belated Birthday to YOU!!! I hope your day was as special as you are!
Old 11-14-2006, 09:44 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

no haircuts, no major injuries, (aidan hurt his knee...a little bump and he's sitting here whimpering with a bag of frozen peas on it) no, no major crisises today, except for THE BALLOON FROM HELL....aidan brought a balloon home from school today and he and sophie have done nothing but fight over it...sophie has been screaming for 10 minutes...and when she has it aidan is screaming...i want to take a pin and POP the darn thing...and as soon as no one is looking, i'm popping it and hiding the evidence...no one will ever know...oh, no!!! aidan is waving the balloon in sophies face!!! she is screaming!!!!i have a headache!!!! help!!!!aaaahhhh!!!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 09:54 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good morning/afternoon!

Happy late birthday,Alissa! I hope it turned out to be a good one

Melissa, I'm happy to hear how you're doing today. That's so good.

Wow, Ruby...what a morning. It's got to be so cruddy to go round and round with your husband this way. I'll be thinking of you during the lead-up to the holidays.

((((((beezy)))))

I'd post more--there's so much I'd like to say to you all today--but like the klutz I am, I ripped a ligament in my hand yesterday and typing isn't going too well one-handed! (You never realize how much you'll miss one of your hands until it's out of commission.) So I'll mostly read here today.

Much love to all of you,
Jane
Old 11-14-2006, 09:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Ayla (shhhhh!) from experience I know it's possible to silently pop a balloon with scissors--just cut a slit in it right near where the knot is tied in it and the air quietly sneaks out.....
Old 11-14-2006, 10:41 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Ayla...I remember those self haircutting episodes! Not pretty...

I'm having some major wrist issues, too, Jane. Only mine is carpal tunnel. I've had to resort to my ultra sexy brace at night...oh boy! Nothing says seductive like a black and gray brace with a metal splint!!