Notices

Overwhelmed and Scared

Old 11-10-2006, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Simply Sweet

Thumbs down Overwhelmed and Scared

Okay, so I know I have the problem. I am an alcoholic. Because I work at a bar part-time (which I am quiting this Saturday) I have made my goal to start sobriety on Monday. Right now as I am typing this I have anxiety and my hands are a little shakey from all of the vodka I drank last night. I am scared as hell to give up my vice from reality, but I know it has to happen. I am missing mine and my childrens life. I am spending money that I really don't have to spend. My insurance will not cover an treatment centers, so I decided to go to my Doctor and get the medicine that helps with cravings. I am also going to attend AA. Other than that, I have no support through this. My best friend is worse than I am, and my other half is a joke. I am just praying to the good Lord to help me. HELP ME!!!! I don't want to be like this anymore. I need to take the control. Thanks for listening. I just feel really alone right now.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A lot of the anxiety is from the alcohol. It will get better. You're in the right place, we're here for you. Day 13 for me and hanging out here is keeping me where I want to be. You can do it! Take care.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good that you are seeing your doctor he/she can advise on the shakes anxiety and sweats etc. You are making a big change in your life and that is scarey, it is also worth it and I congratulate you on taking your first baby steps. Keep posting it's what we are here for, to try to help and support you through the difficult times and have fun (yes fun is easier sober) thru all the good better clean times. Keep us posted.

hugs indigo
Old 11-10-2006, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this and we're here to offer support and information to help you get through this. It's normal to feel anxious because I remember at the time, I had no clue how I would ever be able to live my life without alcohol.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

Welcome. Sounds like you're ready and doing everything you can. Just one moment at a time, don't pick up..
Hang in there
Anna
Old 11-10-2006, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

congratulations on seeking sobriety!

Welcome to SR!

Blessings to you and your family
Old 11-10-2006, 07:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

(((simplysweet))) You are doing the right thing, hon'. My suggestion is to get to AA right away, even if you haven't completely given up drinking yet. You will be simply AMAZED at the amount of support you will get there. The rooms will be filled with people who have felt the same lonliness and anxiety you are feeling right now.

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing!!
Old 11-11-2006, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats! on deciding to quit. Your so not alone, we understand. Hang in there!!! We can do this, you will feel better in a few days. Drink lots of water and some nice tea.
Joanne
Old 11-13-2006, 04:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Simply Sweet

So today is day 1

Here it is. My first day not to drink. I feel pretty strongly about it. Calling the doctor this morning to help me with the anxiety and to sleep. I would love to attend AA, but have two small children and no one to watch them while I go. I just lost my mom and she was the one who would keep them all of the time. I know I can do this, and with the support I have found here I feel even more comfortable about my decision. You are all wonderful people.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Some AA meetings are specifically child friendly. I would suggest that you ask rather than assume. Even some other meetings will be more supportive than you think. You may find that they will encourage you to bring your kids and a coloring book if it make a difference in helping you achieve sobriety. You've seen the alternative already.

good luck and welcome to your new life.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on this big step.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I would love to attend AA, but have two small children and no one to watch them while I go.
I was four years sober when my granddaughter was born...I took her to meetings in her baby carrier, and would sit it up on the table that we sat around for the meeting. I was able to go to a lot of day-time meetings; and, when she was a little older, I would bring little toys, coloring books, cheerios in a container...anything that would keep her occupied for an hour.

There are also a lot of women's meetings where mothers like you need to bring their young children because they have no childcare to depend on. Just start out with a couple of different meetings, and ask around. You'll be amazed at the amount of support/suggestions you'll get. Good Luck.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Simply Sweet

I am going to call AA today and see what my options are with my children. I really want this and I feel I need that extra support.