Notices

So here is my first post

Old 11-09-2006, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So here is my first post and first attempt to reach out and tell my story.

I am 37 years old. Have been drinking since I went to college at 18. I would say that I realized I was an alcoholic 10 years ago, because I could no longer go many days without thinking about it. Now it is a struggle to go just 2. I feel so good when I do not drink, I tell myself to remember the feeling, but yet I find myself with a 12 or 18 pack in the beer fridge. My demon is beer, it is all I like. I like the "Ice" type beers now becase they are higher in alcohol. I am happily married with 2 children. My wife has never said anything about my drinking, but I know it is on her mind. So far it has not made me do something really stupid. I do not get violent or anything like that. I will though, I know this progression, I am a highly educated person, I know where this road goes. My children are not old enough to realize my problem yet, but they will soon. I am ready. I have been diagnosed with diabetes. I know it is because of my beer drinking. Many in my family have it. Funny thing I never craved sweets, probably cuz I drank so much, never wanted it. So my journey begins here. I quit tobacco 4 years ago by using a web site, maybe the hardest thing I need to do I can do here. People cannot know about my problem. If they know I will lose my job. Where I work they will fire me for this. I must keep it on the down low. Wish me luck, and ya, by the way I am drinking a beer right now...
Old 11-09-2006, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I moved your post so more members could find it.

Welcome to sR!
Old 11-09-2006, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm HOME!!!!!

(((Loco)))
Welcome to SR. More will be along shortly to welcome you, with words of wisdom and just to say hey!
NSW
Old 11-09-2006, 08:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That was fast. I looked at the numbers and there are a lot of people like me here... Do Doctors really have to keep your information private? No matter what you tell them? That is my 1st ?. And the best thing to get a good night's sleep? I toss and turn when I go a day or 2 without the demon.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Locoserveca,

I have done so many similar things, they go beyond count. Talking to friends who come over to see me by answering the dor naked, talking off my clothes, jumping in the water and throwing up, the list goes on and on.

Oh, well. You don't have to think you are alone in that. Insominia is a common problem for alcoholics. Sometimes over the counter sleep aids can really help provided you take them as prescribed.

talk to your doctor. mant states have strict confidentiality laws. Next, your employer by now knows you have a drinking problem--and probably already knew before.

If you are a good worker otherwise, many employers will be more than inderstanding--and many, and I do mean many people know someone or have some previous experience with addiction.

Give that a chance.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Perhaps you can just ask your doc about his confidentiality rules. I worried about the same thing, but finally needed to tell someone so I could get better. I don't think insurance is affected and I don't know how your employer could hold it against you if it never affected your work.

Anyhow, we're glad to have you here looking for a solution. It's tough, but can be done.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ms. Heidi

Hey I'm 22 and even worse than you are about drinking. It is so inspiring to here that you want to quit. I do to. Good luck. Its so exciting to find more people joining. I'm new too. My name is Heidi. I appreciate you're courage.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi;

You're not alone in this beer drinking habit. I am beer drinker too. I can not drink any other type of beverage but beer. I love the taste of beer yet I am trying to quit. This site is great for encouragement. When you said 18 to 21 pack beers in the fridge, how many a day? I drink 4 sometimes 5 beers in the evening in high in alcohol 7.5 %.

Welcome
Old 11-10-2006, 03:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

loco
I am a highly educated person, I know where this road goes.
and your right on that... loco, you can make it two days before you drink again... what happens when its one day?.. then one hour... get it now, before its too late... me, i couldnt...
i hit the skids...now, sliding back up again...

good wishes loco................................... xxoo, rz
Old 11-12-2006, 11:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

On my 2nd day. I always feel ok till dusk/evening, that is my drinking time. I am trying to find things to do and I find that there are a lot of liitle projects that can keep me busy. i am also thinking about doing a more rigerous excercise program. I noticed that I am drinking a lot more water, or just anything to keep me more confortable. Sleep is wierd, will try a OTC sleep aid soon to see if that helps, any suggestions on this? Thanks for the support. - LOCO
Old 11-13-2006, 11:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lococerveza
On my 2nd day. I always feel ok till dusk/evening, that is my drinking time. I am trying to find things to do and I find that there are a lot of liitle projects that can keep me busy. i am also thinking about doing a more rigerous excercise program. I noticed that I am drinking a lot more water, or just anything to keep me more confortable. Sleep is wierd, will try a OTC sleep aid soon to see if that helps, any suggestions on this? Thanks for the support. - LOCO

As a sleep aid diphenhydramine (benedryl) always has worked for me. I usually take 50mg and it works great for me... Also, don't buy products labeled as a "sleep aid", they are usually just benedryl in a different package. Regular old generic diphenhydramine is the cheapest.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi LOCO,
Welcome. I'm on day 2 as well and I was always "only" a beer drinker. I didn't even like wine or hard liquors. I always needed the cold, bubbly German beers to get my buzz. How many were you drinking a day? Heck, I thought I had "cut down" on drinking when I "only" had 8 beers instead of my usual 12-16. Crazy, huh? Now, I quit cold turkey and dealing with depression and anxiety. I know this will ease up a bit when I feel better physically and THEN I'm really going to need help keeping that devil beer away...But today, this minute, I'm sober.
Good luck to you!
Old 11-15-2006, 01:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I drank from 12 - 16 beers a day, sometimes more if it is a weekend. Not everyday, but I say about 5 of the seven. I am on day 5 now, I feel so much better. I feel lighter. More agile, and seriously more sharp in the mind. But sleeping is still hard. I feel that since I am only getting 4 or 5 hours a night it should catch up with me and I will be able to sleep all freaking day. I am running out of things to keep me busy at night. My wife has said nothing about my sudden beer stoppage. I told her I was cleaning my body out and trying some new ways to lose weight. I need to lose about 30lbs I assume. Talk later...
Old 11-15-2006, 01:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi lococerveza, I'm new here too, (1 week) but I'm from the other side of the coin - my man was the alcoholic. I never knew. He, like you, would have lost his job if 'it' was discovered. He did talk to his doctor, and yes, I believe it has to be confidetial, unless there is chance of someone being harmed I think. I don't think he was honest with his doctor. He too was diabetic, due to drink, and then other probs...no one knew he had a problem, and he was never 'drunk'. But he recently died, and I'm left in total turmoil, alone and lost and despairing. You couldn't know how it would hurt your family, but I'm sure you would never knowingly want to do that, it's so hard for you all.
Please look after yourself. At least you're aware and trying to sort things. That has to be an important step. Be proud of your achievements honey.