Notices

TOPIC: "Recovered" Or "Recovering"

Old 11-08-2006, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question TOPIC: "Recovered" Or "Recovering"

Hi my name is Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.
By the Grace of my HP and people like u
here in SR I havent had a drink of alcohol
since 8-11-90. For that Im truely grateful.

As you know we are alcoholics and addicts
who naturally share our own experiences,
strengths and hopes because that's who
we are.

Over the years Ive heard other members
use "recovered" to describe their sobriety.
For me, that not the case. Why? My smart
brain will form some kind of sophisticated
reasoning similar to this:

"Recovered drunks or addicts no longer
have a drinking or using problem. I am a
recovered drunk or addict. Therefore, I
can drink or use without a problem."

It's my brain and the booze that are
cunning, baffling and powerful.

And like ive heard another member say,
"that's the way it works for me."

Would you like to share ur own ESH
with me and others about ur thoughts
on this topic?

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Ah, yes...the old "recovered vs recovering" controversy. You say to-may-to...I say to-mah-to.

OK...this is the way I look at it (and, it isn't original; because I learned from those who came before me, who learned from those who came before them).
I believe alcoholism is a disease...and, I have it. This disease can be controlled/arrested, as long as I do not drink.

Since I also believe staying sober is a life-long process, it follows that I will never be recovered from the disease...thus, I will always be recovering. My name is Rae, and I am grateful to be a recovering alcoholic.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I thought I had recovered, lasted twenty years by which time i was totally mad and then relapsed.

So for me, never recovered and always recovering.

Kevin
Old 11-08-2006, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Sharon...it might also be interesting to ask how folks describe compulsion and/or obsession. These terms are often considered one and the same or interchangeable.

As it was explained to me:

Obsession is mental (i.e., one becomes obsessed or pre-occupied with the thoughts of drinking.)

Compulsion is physical (i.e., it takes place only after the alcohol is ingested.)
Old 11-08-2006, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have to agree! I do not ever want to think of myself as recoved. It just seems to risky to me! I'll stick with recovering!

Hugs,
Alissa
Old 11-08-2006, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Oh...you may have heard this one, "Once a cucumber is turned into a pickle, it can never be turned back into a cucumber." Translation: Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by raerob
"Once a cucumber is turned into a pickle, it can never be turned back into a cucumber." Translation: Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic.

My goodness raerob! I've never thought of it that way, but it makes so much sense! Kinda scary, huh?

Hugs,
Alissa
Old 11-08-2006, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You go guys and girls..! LOL And that's how it's worked..! : ) Sharing and Caring.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This isn't original, I found it in another group ... but for me, it says it all. (I will always be "recovering")

If you consider yourself "recovering" in order to maintain the consciousness that you must never drink, so be it. If you consider yourself "recovered" because the Big Book says that's the way we get, then so be that, too. Either way you will be a winner—you won't drink, and you will base your program of recovery on the teachings of the Big Book.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The basic AA text uses the term recovered 87 times.

I think I drank alcoholically for 5 years.

I noticed that about 10 years into sobriety I began
thinking of myself as recovered.

I still have not had a drink..nor want one..years later.

It's a non issue for me what others consider themselves.
"To Thine Own Self Be True"
Old 11-08-2006, 05:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thread Sharon.

I am still recovering, however, I hope to be recovered some day.

My definition of recoveryalcohol):
1) I no longer have an urge to consume alcohol.
2)I do not think of drinking often.
3) Most importantly, I will never drink again.

The thought of whether I can have a few and call it controlled drinking does not enter into the equation. I will not drink.

Recovery to me does not mean that I can occasionally use alcohol, as the past has proven. I would consider myself to be recovered with those 3 criteria.

So yes, I feel that I will be recovered and no longer an alcoholic. The thought of my past behaviour being a disease does not sit right with me. This is how I feel about my current condition, and applies to me only. As I've stated many times, recovery is up to the individual, and there are as many paths to recovery as there are recovering addicts.

Keep well everyone

Ron
Old 11-08-2006, 05:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

After thinking some more (whirr grind ) I realised that recovered is ok so long as it means that I realise I still have a disease and always will have thats what I meant by recoverying.

Recovered and no longer an addict and an alcoholic will never be true for me but I understand that there are many different ways to skin a cat! or many paths lead to the same destination or what the beep am I talking about

Kevin
Old 11-09-2006, 08:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was at a Big Book study last night. I thought about yall, as we read this...

we have recovered from a hopeless condition of mind and body.

So you see, as I still don't consider myself as a recovered alcoholic, I do believe that I have recovered from that hopeless condition!

Just a thought!

Hugs,
Alissa
Old 11-09-2006, 10:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

I feel that I am still recovering from recovery.

I was a addict/user for so long I don't think I would know when and if I had recovered.

In other words I don't know what it would feel like to be recovered as I don't remember how I felt before I became an addict/user.

I am clean/sober and free from the demon cigarette as of today.

That makes this a great day!
Old 11-09-2006, 10:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

hi all--
it doesnt make any difference to me--im sober today , thats all i know--lol
Old 11-09-2006, 11:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

One can argue over semantics till the cows come home. As Alissa stated, with the Big Book quote, recovered refers to that hopeless condition of mind and body. It talks of recovering in the sense that our minds not only no longer obsess over the drink, but recoil from one as if from a hot flame. It never describes being recovered in terms of no longer being an alcoholic or of recovering to the point where we can drink with impunity.

I'm a recovered alcoholic in terms of the hopelessness I felt while drinking. My life is full of hope and purpose today. I will never recover (nor do I believe I ever had) the ability to drink like a "normal" person.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-09-2006, 12:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

The basic AA text uses the term recovered 87 times.
Remember that the book was originally written over 50 years ago...and, so much more has been learned about alcoholism since then.

AMA only recognized it as a treatable disease a little over 25 years ago. I know because my nephew (a recovering alcoholic) sent me a clipping about it and "hinted" that it was now possible to be admitted into the hospital for detox. I had no idea that he was trying to clue me in to my own alcoholism.

Thank God, I finally "got it" and my hospitalization plan paid for it.

So yes, I feel that I will be recovered and no longer an alcoholic.
Mongo...I must respectfully disagree, in that you may no longer be an active alcoholic; but, we will both hopefully always be alcoholics in recovery.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ahh.Semantics.

Ron
Old 11-09-2006, 06:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Remember that the book was originally written over 50 years ago...and, so much more has been learned about alcoholism since then.
Hmm..I still use the BB as my guide for living.

AMA only recognized it as a treatable disease a little over 25 years ago. I know because my nephew (a recovering alcoholic) sent me a clipping about it and "hinted" that it was now possible to be admitted into the hospital for detox. I had no idea that he was trying to clue me in to my own alcoholism.
The BB discussed the disease concept before the AMA's decision.

However...Sorry Sharon. I got off topic.
Back to recovered/recovering my friends.

Last edited by CarolD; 11-09-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Recovered or recovering?

That is the question.

Time for a rambling story me thinks...

I was at a party a while back, chillin' out, hitting on the barely legal girlies running around the show (as you do) and generally just being my usual friendly self. At any rate, at some point in the night I've ended up in the living room and as it was all cool to smoke in the house (and I hate people trying to bludge) and it was out off the way of the main party out back, I'e decided to sit down and have a toke or three.

So times passed and it's turned into a full blown session. So the next thing I know the lounge room is filled with the biggest pack of junkies you've ever seen - off white skin, gaunt faces, track marks that look like razor cuts, the whole shebang.

Being the non-judgemental guy I am, I don't pay them too much mind, say hi and then struck up a conversation with the girl who sat down on the couch next to me (she really got to me, even through all the drug ravages, she was absolutly stunning, if she was clean she could have made a mint in the model game).

So these guys set up their mirrors, spoons and crack pipes and got to it. Let me tell you the speed was flowing like water that night, I swear these nutters must have had a whole ounce of the stuff, but I digress. After chatting with this girl and her friends for about an hour it suddenly dawned on me that I didn't have the slightest urge to partake in any of there powdered joy. Hell, I'd even said no to a line without even thinking about it.

So from that I'd say I was recovered.

The booze however is another thing entirely...

The only reason I was in that lounge room was because out back in the party proper they had commenced the funneling, a sport I was quiet partial to and quiet good at in my drinking days.

So from that I'd still say I was recovereing.

On a lighter note however, it got quiet a laugh when I went back outside after the funneling had finished and slipped and went arse over tit in a pool of someones vomit.

love always,
your friend,
Fred