Notices

Is AA enough?

Old 11-05-2006, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AA Member

Is AA enough?

Hi, This is so hard some times. I know I have a long way to go. I have been drinking since I was 11 years old heavy drinking for 23 years I hope I can fined some kind of reality.. going to aa tomorrow its been a year since I have been there. also going to court for the first time in years this Thursday for a drunk and disorderly hope I don’t get jail time. I will lose my job if I do. I just keep hiding from my self. And now I have 23 years of crap to go through …hanging on for the rollercoaster ride of emotions ..sorry for rambling, Jay
Old 11-05-2006, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

AA, as in going to an AA meeting, in my opinion, is not enough. The willingness to get sober and do what it takes to make some life transforming changes is necessary. The willingness to open yourself to the concept of a higher power is also necessary. A decision that enough is enough may not be enough on it's own, but combined with a solid program of recovery, including AA meetings, is much more than many people embarking on this journey are willing to do.

Bottom line: do you want to stop, or don't you? If the answer to the first part is yes, get yer butt to meetings, open your ears and your heart, and take some suggestions. One day at a time, my friend. We all have a long way to go when we get there, most of us with a lot of crap to clean up, but if we just put one foot in front of the other, we soon find ourselves walking in the sunlight of the spirit.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-05-2006, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi J,

Early sobriety can be an overwhelming time. It's hard to face all the messes that we've created in our lives. Just takes things slowly and do what you can do. I wish you well.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it takes a lifetime to face a lifetime of messes.
Remember what you've already decided and are already thinking, and take things in a practical way.
Best wishes,
Old 11-05-2006, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

Thank you all for your insight.. i am glad i found this sight. i need to get to bed hope i can sleep after eating 20 pounds of Candy zoomm.. Good night all.Jay
Old 11-05-2006, 10:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA, as in going to an AA meeting, in my opinion, is not enough. The willingness to get sober and do what it takes to make some life transforming changes is necessary. The willingness to open yourself to the concept of a higher power is also necessary. A decision that enough is enough may not be enough on it's own, but combined with a solid program of recovery, including AA meetings, is much more than many people embarking on this journey are willing to do.

Good comments, would like to add/emphasize the issue of: life transforming changes.

If all we do is take alcohol away, we still have the disease of alcoholism. We are the same people, but simply w/o the alcohol.

For me, THAT is not inner peace, serenity or happiness.

This includes not only doing/working the 12 steps, but applying them in your life, by working with a sponsor.

Tom
Old 11-05-2006, 10:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

well to me AA isnt going to meetings. AA is a 12-step program in which you work through the steps with a sponser. meetings are good for many reasons, but AA itself is a 12step program. if you should work all 12-steps in the suggested order in a thorough fashion with a sponser who has worked through them all...yes it is enough. if properly working the program, you will ultimately experience a pyschic change and develop a strong faith in God.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I must say, it continues to amaze me the notion of "working" the steps. This is not to diminish working them, however.........

Whenever the APPLICATION of the steps is discussed, it would appear to go unnoticed.

Just my alcoholic observation............lol...........

Tom
Old 11-06-2006, 10:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Tom I agree, first I had to 'work' the 12 steps and then I had to learn how to LIVE the 12 steps. This helped me a lot in achieving that:

Principles Of The Steps

1. Admission of powerlessness. / Honesty

2. Reliance on a Higher Power. / Hope

3. Total surrender to God. / Faith

4. Moral inventory. / Courage

5. Admission of the exact nature of our wrongs. / Integrity

6. Commitment to total change. / Willingness

7. Prayer for wholeness. / Humilty

8. Total willingness to amend. / Brotherly Love

9. Making amends where possible. / Reconcilation

10. Continuing inventory. /Perserverance

11. Prayer meditation, leading to improved conscious contact with God. /
Awareness of God

12. Spiritual awakening, carrying the message and practicing the
principles in all our affairs. / Service.

The Fellowship of AA (the meetings) is not the program as outlined in the first 164 pages of the Big Book of AA, however, for me they did serve a great purpose. It was in the meetings I felt SAFE. It was in the meetings that I gained HOPE. It was in the meetings I found my sponsor (a wonderful lady who walked the way she talked as did her husband). It was in the meetings and the meetings after the meetings that I made new and life long friends. It was in the meetings that I learned about continuing to search for 'tools' to take with me on my journey down the Recovery Road.

Is AA enough? I don't know.......I am sure for many it is. For this alkie it was just the beginning of a journey that has been more wonderful than I ever dreamed was possible.

AA was a great way for this alkie to start her sobriety!!! I hope it can be the same for you!

Love and hugs,
Old 11-06-2006, 09:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Jay,
Are we willing to go to any lengths to get what they have.
They are those who are living a happy sober life.
If you want what they have listen to those who have it.
Meetings are where you will find this.
I love discussion meetings.You don't have to talk just listen.
They say take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth.
Sobriety don't come easy it's hard work.
So work it.You get out of the proram what you put in it.
Sometimes the best meetings are the ones before and after the meetings.
And you'll also make aloy of new friends.Real friends.
Bob