Notices

My Sponsor Thinks He's a Psychiatrist...

Old 11-05-2006, 12:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Sponsor Thinks He's a Psychiatrist...

He asks me if I still take Prozac, and I was like yeah I still do.

Then he says, are you thinking on getting off of them any time soon.

And I was like HELL NO...

He then SUGGESTED I stop taking them, because I have to go through emotions. He also said that he thinks it's BS that I have anxiety attacks and depression. The reason I do have them, he says, it's because I haven't done the steps to the fullest extent, only a half assed job.

I mean, the emotions I can feel them, I don't feel 100% good all the time even though I'm on Prozac. I felt like **** all the time before, and couldn't even sleep due to the anxiety. So WTF does he think he is? A Psychiatrist? I feel emotions I just don't get depressed anymore.

Plus one of the worst things for me was that I was getting lonely and depressed in my room (this was before increasing my Prozac dose.) and since he is my sponsor I used to call him because I was feeling like ****. One time he said that I shouldn't be calling him when I was feeling lonely/depressed and that I shouldn't rely on him for "entertainment", he also told me to go out in campus to meet people. He then said sorry for what he said... but anyways...

Ok, so my sponsor wants me to quit my medication that was prescribed by a Doctor, but he is not willing to help me out... f*ck him, I'm not getting off of it.. it just pisses me off his stupid "suggestions".. anyways...

I'd like to hear your thoughts... thx again!
Old 11-05-2006, 01:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Indigo, we are not doctors, DO NOT GO OFF YOUR MEDS. Instead, I would suggest looking around at different meetings, listening and watching for someone that walks the way they talk and UNDERSTANDS that there are times when anti-D meds are needed, and understands that they are not a doctor, and then ask that person to be your sponsor.

If I were to go off my anti-D meds, even though I am over 25 years sober, there is no guarantee what I would become. Probably over time a raving lunatic.

Please ignore that 'suggestion' from your sponsor and talk with your psych dr instead. Prozac is not to be taken lightly and can not be stopped cold turkey without some very serious and dangerous side affects.

I personally have been in the abyss, deep in the abyss, and I NEVER want to go back there again..........................it is a hell worse than my worst day of drinking. To again become paralyzed with anxiety and paranoia is not something I would like to experience ever again.

I would suggest you speak with your pdoc about some of the 'newer' meds that might help you deal better with the anxiety that sets in. Just a thought.

Each of us grows and changes at our own rate. A good sponsor knows that. There is no rule that says you cannot fire a sponsor rofl. And you have that choice of keeping him or letting him go. Some folks in the fellowship will probably never understand the concept of 'outside help' but that is their problem not yours. You do what you need to do for you to live sober and clean.

Remember Indigo Alcohol is but a symptom of deeper underlying problems, and those problems for many of us ranged around the disease of depression of one kind or another that we 'self medicated' for. It's not until we get sober that these problems begin to surface and for some of us they can be more horrendous than the alcoholism.

If you trust your pdoc then by all means listen to that person over laymen in AA.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 11-05-2006, 03:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

INA:
Laurie is right on. Please do NOT take medical advice from anyone but a doctor. As much as these people mean well, they do not have the experience and the training to dispense medical advice.

And it could very well cost you your life. Depression is nothing to fool around with.

Wishing you the best,
Shalom!
Old 11-05-2006, 03:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hiya Indigo,
Wise advice from Laurie. I wouldn't go off my meds for anything. You definitely need a sponsor who can relate to your situation. Sounds like this guy can't. I'd get away from him asap. He's only going to make you fell bad. I guess it's lucky for him, he doesn't know that there are worse, far worse, ways to feel that on his lowest, most pathetic day with alcohol. Hang in there and do what's right for you.
hugs,
Maureen
Old 11-05-2006, 03:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your sponsors only job is to guide you through the 12 Steps. They are not there as a psychiatrist, although they may have insights. No one except a doctor should tell you to get off your meds. Taking antidepressants when I was in early recovery actually helped me work my program.

It IS perfectly OK to fire your sponsor. Try and look around for another one but you'll feel better down the line if you don't bad mouth the one you have now.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you were a diabetic, I'll bet he wouldn't tell you to stop taking your insulin...
or had high BP or a heart condition...he probably wouldn't tell you to stop taking your pills.
Unfortunately some "old timers"...are NA Natzi's"...and believe that you shouldn't take an aspirin if you have a headache...
They don't believe in shrinks...
Personally, I've been diagnosed with depression and have been on meds for 3 of my 5 years sober...
I know that I can't function without them...
I don't care if I get out of bed if I don't take my meds...
Find another sponsor!
Quick!
Old 11-05-2006, 04:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I use to hear from another that i SHOULD
go to my doctor and see about my anxiety
problems....I refused this request for 14 yrs
of my sobriety....I worked my program as
suggested and just made up my stubborn
mind that i didnt want to take meds like
countless others in recovery....

And so at 14 yrs sober..i was alone at home
when i saw this commercial once again....
but this time i listened to the message...

It was about chemical imbalance....and all
the symptoms related to that...and that
was when i said...hmmmmm ..no wonder
why ive been such a B**** at times...
my system is out of wack...off balance.

So seeking the proper physician and knowledge
about my chemical imbalance, i recieved
the right medicine for my system...

Now my anxiety isnt off the wall like it
use to be......If i wasnt so stubborn all
those yrs and seeked the help earlier in
recovery, i could have saves many days
of anguish and frustration in my family.

Today im a little more manageable and
tolerant of others....im more in control
of my emotions than i use to be....

it makes it easier for people in my family
to be around me.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Boy, Oh, Boy! Do I agree with just about everything said here.

It IS perfectly OK to fire your sponsor. Try and look around for another one but you'll feel better down the line if you don't bad mouth the one you have now.
Sponsorship is not necessarily "til death do us part", although many are fortunate enough to have found the right person at the right time. I've had four different sponsors over the years...each was good in their own way at that time in my life.

I'm presently taking Welbutrin daily (a mild anti-depressant) prescribed by my M.D. It has to do with my advanced age and ill health...I understand many seniors are taking this med or something similar. As long as you are being treated by a physician and or psychiatrist who knows your background and understands alcoholism/addiction, take your meds as prescribed...use, do not abuse...don't drink/drug, and make meetings.

Oh, and get yourself a new sponsor!
Old 11-05-2006, 08:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My ex sponsor acted the same way, like an armchair shrink. It really pushed me to take more responsibility for my recovery by knowing what is correct for me and what is not.

This experience will help strengthen you once you realize your responsibility and that you have choices. Always.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Indigo.

Ditto to everything everyone has said.

The fact that he sees no symptoms of your anxiety etc..shows the medication is working.

Maybe its time for a new sponsor, he is abusing his role here, who asked for his opinion on your medication anyway????

His role is to guide you through the steps, help you with the program period.

I would enforce the boundries here, he is clearly crossing yours.

Love, Rose
Old 11-05-2006, 10:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i agree with everyone here...if it weren't for my meds i would not be sane and sober today...and i probably would not be able to leave my house...there is nothing wrong with antidepressants contrary to popular belief these days...and it is no one's business what medications you take other than you and your doctor...we have a legitimate, serious medical problem and our medication corrects that problem...and allows us to live normally when otherwise our depression and anxiety would prevent it...
Old 11-05-2006, 10:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your sponsors only role is to help you understand the steps and guide you through them. If you dont think you have the best sponsor in the world, get another one. Do it today. This is your life and your recovery. If your having doubts and have post this odds are you have the wrong sponsor.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well thanks for the advice once again.

Just to let you guys know I wasn't going to stop taking them. It has changed my life completely, I'm too smart to listen to him. It just fking pisses me off, these AA Fanatics/Nazi's however you want to call them, they don't trust in medicine/technology. WTF!!! I'm totally pro-tech-&-meds.. I just laugh at people who don't believe in medicine, pure ignorance..

Anyways... I shouldn't be thinking about it... but it just ticks me off... blahhhhhhhh
Old 11-05-2006, 11:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

On another note...remember, your sponsor is only human; and, as such, is bound to make mistakes. He may have been given erroneous advice by his own sponsor.

As you move on to another (hopefully wiser) sponsor, pray for the old one, that he may learn to be more tolerant of those who need any kind of prescribed psych meds. And, keep this in mind as a valuable lesson of what not to say when you become a sponsor.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovery Network

Originally Posted by raerob
On another note...remember, your sponsor is only human; and, as such, is bound to make mistakes. He may have been given erroneous advice by his own sponsor.

As you move on to another (hopefully wiser) sponsor, pray for the old one, that he may learn to be more tolerant of those who need any kind of prescribed psych meds. And, keep this in mind as a valuable lesson of what not to say when you become a sponsor.
I would say DITTO. My sponsor is human and can make mistakes. Its my job to communicate to him what I think and If that communication is not there then I say look for one that you can communicate with.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think there is a balance of relevance and irrelevance in sponsoring as in everything.
Keep the good parts of what this one has told you/is telling you.
I think it is always a good idea to listen out for other people who would also make a good sponsor, befriend them and benefit from their interest in you.
The only things one should n't do are actually two-time, and play them off against each other.
My sponsor moved away after getting married. I wasn't seeing altogether eye to eye with him, like you over "outside help", but I hadn't finished tackling him over that and I hadn't yet reached the point where I had found him incorrigible.
Then unfortunately I lost interest in maintaining sobriety!
This time I'll be sharper and more determined (life is for learning)
Old 11-05-2006, 08:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Found
I think there is a balance of relevance and irrelevance in sponsoring as in everything.
Keep the good parts of what this one has told you/is telling you.
I think it is always a good idea to listen out for other people who would also make a good sponsor, befriend them and benefit from their interest in you.
The only things one should n't do are actually two-time, and play them off against each other.
My sponsor moved away after getting married. I wasn't seeing altogether eye to eye with him, like you over "outside help", but I hadn't finished tackling him over that and I hadn't yet reached the point where I had found him incorrigible.
Then unfortunately I lost interest in maintaining sobriety!
This time I'll be sharper and more determined (life is for learning)
I don't agree with you, that he has to intervene in this matter. In any case he can refer me to my Psychiatrist so I can talk to him.

I consider myself a smart guy, with a great deal of common sense. Imagine some other submissive guy with no common sense, and just letting himself be blown by whatever people say he could get into trouble if he just does as his sponsor tells him, if the sponsor would tell him to quit the Prozac. He never mentioned the Psychiatrist, he just said I should get off of it. He didn't say why don't you talk to him to see if you can get off of it.

Blahhh he's ignorant, anti-meds... there's nothing I can do about it..