Notices

the progession of the disease

Old 11-04-2006, 11:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool the progession of the disease

It is amazing what is out on the internet, and I'm grateful I came across this group. Based on circumstances around me today, I decided to type in "progression of alcoholism" in the search engine, and this group was one of the links that came up.

As a result of the progession of the disease of alcoholism, my husband suffered a head injury this summer. He had a miraculous recover. I have to be rock-bottom honest, I had mixed reactions to. On the one hand, extremely grateful that he recovered to where he could be independent, to where he received physical rehabilitation to where his cognitive skills were restored. He was the most sober he had been in his thinking in the last several years. He was excited to be sober and swore by his recovery. I was cauteously optimistic with him staying the course on his recovery. I have enough Al-Anon under me to be careful with what I say, and to be as encouraging as I can, using the tools of the program.

Last Sunday my husband had obviously taken some sort of medication. His behavior was completely changed, and he had the effect of being drunk, but hadn't taken in alcohol. He's taking something, though, because he is definately not sober. He's trying to keep himself asleep, is staying in bed, is not eating.

Over the last 3 years I have chosen to stay. Right now I choose to stay with him one day at a time. I don't know what tomorrow will bring. But, I know I have choices, even though the thought of leaving him scares me completely. I'm on a yo-yo ride of should I stay or should I leave?

I'm also scared for his safety right now. I don't want to go through the roller-coaster ride again of alcohol related illness and injury. I'm so close to walking out the doors, and that may be the best thing for both of us. My staying, I sometimes wonder how much that hinders him from finding his own recovery. By my staying, I feel like I'm telling him his behavior is acceptable to me.

Am a bit crazy in my thinking at the moment. I've got to go back to the first three steps. I am powerless (oh, yah). God, I need you to restore me to sanity. Ah, the third step, I'm still holding on to my will rather than letting go.

Thanks for reading. I'm glad this group is here.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

i lizzyp

welcome!
Sorry about your hard times.
I know about the waiting and worrying, even though I am also alcoholic, that didn't stop me from marrying 3 of 'em.
I just have to let you know that I'm impressed that you're keeping yourself within your own program. It shows a degree of focus that I'm not capable of yet.
We're here if you need us!
please keep us informed, and thanks again for sharing.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Liz... so many new people come to post on SR... cant get to them all... i read your post, and just wanted to say hello to you...

1-2-3, 1-2-3... keep doing the dance to your sanity...

good wishes, ... xxoo rz