Notices

Can anybody relate??

Old 10-30-2006, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can anybody relate??

Hi! I just wanted to know if anybody can relate to my situation. Every day or so I will find something to worry about ie: something I think I said wrong to a friend. I then feel anxious. Most of the time, I didn't say anything to offend and if I did Oh! well! I can't always be perfect.

I have lots of friends so obviously I have good manners, it is just that sometimes I over analyze and this drives me nuts. Always trying to burn out imaginary little fires in my head.

I am making a concsious effort not to worry or obsess about silly things anymore. I even put an elastic and whenever I start entertaining silly thoughts I snap it and change my thought process.

Can anybody else relate to this? If so, what helped you?
Joanne
Old 10-30-2006, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by laurience
Hi! I just wanted to know if anybody can relate to my situation. Every day or so I will find something to worry about ie: something I think I said wrong to a friend. I then feel anxious. Most of the time, I didn't say anything to offend and if I did Oh! well! I can't always be perfect.

I have lots of friends so obviously I have good manners, it is just that sometimes I over analyze and this drives me nuts. Always trying to burn out imaginary little fires in my head.

I am making a concsious effort not to worry or obsess about silly things anymore. I even put an elastic and whenever I start entertaining silly thoughts I snap it and change my thought process.

Can anybody else relate to this? If so, what helped you?
Joanne
((((Joanne))))

You are NEVER alone that is for sure. So many times I will let something into my head and just dwell on it. Like giving someone or something permission to rent in my head for free. This is the obsessive and compulsive part of addiction. Usually what I do is to like you said reconstruct my thinking, maybe prayer seems to help, putting the situation in my God Box helps! (believe it or not) focusing on the principles, anything to divert my thinking at the time. Sometimes I like to see how long I can give them the permission to live in my head until it drives me nuts (not utilizing the Steps) and then when I am desperate enough then I will do something about it. Anyways just keep moving forward and nothing is worth using over.

Love Vic
Old 10-30-2006, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do this all the time.

When things are calm and peaceful, I can start to get anxious. I was so much more comfortable around chaos for such a long time. I have gotten used to a peaceful life, but I do find, my mind wanders and searches for problems. I have to pay attention and tell myself to stop. I think it's a question of being aware and focusing on something positive.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeap. I do it too. Obessive thinking! A typical alcoholic I am!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's only my first day sober, but I can so relate, sometimes I will think and think and think and drive myself crazy over something so silly. I guess this is part of being an alcoholic....
Old 10-30-2006, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Make The Most of 2nd Chances

Yep, I know what you mean. I am a chronic worrier myself. Worry bout the kids, worry bout the bills, worry bout my job. It's all cool, but I can't see it. Maybe I need to take up Yoga.............
Old 10-30-2006, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have this program, and others from this site as well, it works.

www.stresscenter.com

Last edited by Anna; 10-30-2006 at 02:16 PM.