Notices

Pissed!

Old 10-31-2006, 12:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well I prefer to be out at a bar, with some risk, that be in my dorm room depressed with self pity, and just thinking BS.

The AA Book is only a suggestion. It doesn't mean that YOU HAVE to do everything that's in the book to be sober. Some things work for you other don't. AA is not the only way to be sober. I have friends that are alcoholics but they've stopped by themselves. Another friend he's a DJ he's in the middle of drugs/alcohol all the time and he has been sober for 5 years+.

Different things work for different people. I only take what I need from AA. I don't like AA 100%. In my opinion it has flaws and things I don't like. But anyway, who am I to judge. I use what it works for me and up until now it has been great for me. I feel better than I have ever felt in my life.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For me, not drinking is about 1% of the problem.

You?
Old 10-31-2006, 01:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Oh, I failed to mention defiance........

Most alcoholics are very defiant!

You?
Old 10-31-2006, 01:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey Indigo,
The next time someone acts nasty like that, just walk away from them act like they just plain disappeared. Don't waste so much time on anyone that is ignorant like that.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

What other people think of me, is none of my business. If I continue to do the next right thing. Their "complaints" about me are just that, "Theirs".

How I react to them, is my business.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

requiredfield
Assuming we are spiritually fit, we can do all sorts of things alcoholics are not supposed to do. People have said we must not go where liquor is served;
IndyNA... i have to say, i too go bars, and clubs on ocasions....i'm a muscian... not by profession, it was a big part of my story...
after almost two years into recovery, i ventured back... i worked my (_|_) off to able to do what i love... play music...as mentioned, i was shurly spiritualy fit before i did... it was the best experiance of my life... doing it sober for a change... i must admit... its stil risky business... the smell, the atmosphere, the mood lighting ect... none were triggers... YET!!!....

good wishes, .................................. xxoo, pattee
Old 11-01-2006, 01:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IndigoNA
Well I prefer to be out at a bar, with some risk, that be in my dorm room depressed with self pity, and just thinking BS.

The AA Book is only a suggestion. It doesn't mean that YOU HAVE to do everything that's in the book to be sober. Some things work for you other don't. AA is not the only way to be sober. I have friends that are alcoholics but they've stopped by themselves. Another friend he's a DJ he's in the middle of drugs/alcohol all the time and he has been sober for 5 years+.

Different things work for different people. I only take what I need from AA. I don't like AA 100%. In my opinion it has flaws and things I don't like. But anyway, who am I to judge. I use what it works for me and up until now it has been great for me. I feel better than I have ever felt in my life.

“Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program………….”
Old 11-01-2006, 01:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead
i'd like to chime in here - two things i wish to address, IMHO.....

1) i first got sober in '87, and after a year or so, i too returned to the bar scene. not a problem i said. and for a long long time it wasn't. until at 7 and 1/2 years sobriety i choose to drink again. funny, i was IN the bar at the time.
This is exactly my point. Great post anvilhead! Some of us think that if whatever self-prescribed program is working for a little while,...then we must have found our permanant nitch. Like,...if I get sober after 12 years of drinking, and after a while I start going back to bars, but not drinking,......and THAT lasts for a few weeks or months,....I start thinking, ..."Huh,...I must be successful at going to bars and staying sober at the same time". Wrong. Just because I lasted a while doesnt mean by a longshot that Ive found some loophole. Anything can seem great for a while. And where did you hear that you dont have to follow AA thoroughly to be a part of it? Then why bother? Are you working the steps, even? Sitting in on "Enter Sandman" doesnt make me a member of Metallica.