Notices

Hello out there!

Old 10-28-2006, 09:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello out there!

Hello-My name is Melissa and I am an adult child who has been in recovery for 2 months...I have been attending Al-Anon, and ACOA meetings regularly, and am hoping to find help and support online as well.

My Story...

My mother is an incest survivor who started abusing pain meds while married to my father when I was two. She abandoned our family when I was three. She found recovery and came out that she was a lesbian when I was five, but still lived 500 miles away from me and my older sister. She was in therapy and AA for 10 years and was truely a respectable and amazing woman...I chose to move in with her for the first time when I was 15 years old. One month later she relapsed. At first, she said that she had fibromyalga and her incoherence was attributed to her "fibro-fog" which she said was a symptom of her disease. She got on disability and it went down from there. She used/uses adderall, oxycotin, and benzos and I'm not sure what else. She even got doctors to install a morphine drip in her lower back for a time to ease her pain. I took refuge in my "pot head" boyfriend who I was addicted to. My mom let him move in with me at 16 years old and we danced a "coaddict/addict" dance for four years. It has been ten years since my mother's relapse, and things have gotten so bad, fearing for her life and her potential homelessness, that I had to stop trying to "save" her and let go of her for my own sanity. My biggest charactor defect from growing up with this dynamic is my perfectionism and judging myself without mercy. The only good thing that I can see right now, is that at least my drive to be perfect has led me to get a college degree (of course in psychology) and be responsible (even though its inflated)...Anyways, for the first time in my life I have hope that I can change, and am starting to believe that I am not inherently flawed and alone in this world...I hope to hear other's experience, strengh, and hope....Thanks for listening...
Old 10-28-2006, 10:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to SR!

As I have no personal experience with your situation...
I'm an alcoholic in AA recovery..
I suggest you take a read around.

Others will reply later as they log on.

You certainly are a strong woman..I so admire that trait!
...Blessings
Old 10-28-2006, 11:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Midas

Welcome Aboard, Melissa Rose! You might want to check out the Friends and Family section, or the Nar-Anon forums. Glad you're here.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Smile

Old 11-04-2006, 07:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello...
Welcome to SR. I'm an addict, ACOA, severe codie who found this site about a year ago.
Lots of support and information for many different issues here!
Keep comming back!