Notices

Confused

Old 10-26-2006, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confused

Hello to everyone,
I am new to this forum, and lately I have been wondering if I have a problem, maybe someone here can steer me in the right direction. I am a 36 year old male in decent health, in 1993 I had major surgery for Deep Vein Thrombosis in my left leg, which left behind some nerve damage. Needless to say my doctor prescribed me with varous painkillers over the years. I haven't considered myself an addict, until now. I don't use everyday, sometimes not every week, but I do find myself taking painkillers when I don't need them, and I do like the feeling that they give me. I know that this is at least the beginning of a problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
free4all
Old 10-26-2006, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Welcome to Sober Recovery, free4all. You really don't sound at all "confused" to me...sounds like you may be looking for confirmation of what you've already figured out on your own.

I don't use everyday, sometimes not every week, but I do find myself taking painkillers when I don't need them, and I do like the feeling that they give me.
Keep posting and asking questions...you might want to check out some of the forums here that deal with addictions, particularly with respect to pain killers. At any rate, I think you've found your way to the right place. Welcome!

I just checked, and there's one called Substance Abuse that you might find helpful.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome to SR. Yes, there is a forum specifially for substance abuse which might benefit you the most. Of course you can post questions here and you'll get lots of advice. Take a look around at the threads in Substance Abuse and see if you can find some of your answers while you wait for posts on this thread.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by raerob
sounds like you may be looking for confirmation of what you've already figured out on your own.
You are a wise man. Catching a possible problem before it becomes a problem that is extra tough to handle is a very wise thing.

Drugs, alcohol included, as well as RX meds all have a progressive nature to them. Pain kilers that stop the pain by taking one..over time you could find that 2 are needed to reduce the pain. The body gets use to them and they don't work as well.
For those who take pills for the feelings they get from them...the same happens.
One pill or one beer becomes 2 or more for the same feeling to come from taking them over time.
Have a look about. As I remember, there have been a few posters who have some info on pain management that may help you as an alternet to the pain pills.
I am sure you will find much help on the NA board and the substance abuse board.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us!

You're lucky to be aware at the beginning of the problem, rather than to let things go along further. You'll find lots of support here and I hope you keep posting.