Notices

Hi from Chris

Old 10-25-2006, 01:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi from Chris

Hi. I'm Chris. I like to drink. Actually, I love to drink. My wife and boss think that I am an alcholoic though. My wife told me that she is gonna leave me if I don't give up the booze. I told her that I don't have a problem. Then my boss was on me because I was still drunk when I showed up to work other day. I really wasn't that drunk just a little buzzed, but anyway, I got to thinking that maybe I do have a problem. Can someone point me in the right direction as to where to poast about my problem?
Old 10-25-2006, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome Chris

You are making a wonderful choice here by looking into the things others are trying to tell you.
Re-read your own post and think on things.
Just a little buzzed...
You are blessed to have a boss that has put up with such and not fired you outright.
You will find support and info here that will help you make choices as you feel the need. Your not alone in this. Many of us have stood in your shoes and found answers to the questions you are asking.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Chris and welcome!

Denial is a wonderful thing.......................NOT!!! Denial almost killed me and it took my mom getting all over me for the thousandth time (exaggeration here!) coupled with my realization that I had a problem that I could not control and that I could not find a way to drink SUCCESSFULLY anymore that propelled me to reach out for help a little over 2 years ago. For me I found that help in the rooms of AA and then when I was a year sober I discovered SR which has vastly enriched my recovery experience.

If your loved ones and employer are telling you there is a problem, then chances are there is a problem. I spent the last year of my drinking convinced that I didn't have that big of a problem, that I could control it but that I just hadn't found the right method yet. It almost killed me!

My suggestions would be to check out the Alcoholism forum on Sober Recovery and especially read the stickies at the top of the posts (lots of useful information). Check out AA, Rational Recovery, SMART (you can find out more about these on the Alcoholism board). The Big Book of AA is good reading (and you can read it online from the AA website!) and a lot of people on here swear by a book called Under the Influence (which can be ordered from Amazon). There are some online questionnaires you can find that ask about your drinking habits and the effects and if you answer them HONESTLY you can pretty well assess whether or not there is a problem.

If you are convinced you do not have a problem, then why not quit cold turkey for a specific period of time (30 days, 90 days, 6 months or a year) and see how you do? Sometimes people are problems drinkers who have not YET progressed to full-blown alcoholism. Only you can make the call whether or not you have a problem and I hope you will utilize the resources mentioned as well as others that I'm sure will be suggested and search yourself honestly (after all, nobody can read your mind so you only have to decide for yourself) and that you get the answers you seek.

Sit back, get comfy, and take advantage of all that SR has to offer!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 10-25-2006, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Chris if you have to ask i think deep down you know, it will just get worst and if you didn't have a problem, giving it up would be nooooooo big deal ya know
Old 10-25-2006, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're in the right place Chris.

If your wife and your boss and questioning you, I'd say you have a problem. Just take a look around here and read and learn. There's lots of support.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Chris,

Unfortunately my boss did not take the proper action when I came to work still drunk from the night before. That was years ago. Since then, I moved onto a bigger and better career, but I never addressed my alcoholism. Now, I am not currently working, and I am facing a charge for my 3rd DWI offense. I now realize that a lot of people enabled me and treated me delicately because of my personality, work ethic, intelligence, etc. They forgave my mishaps related to alcohol too easily. Therefore, I never thought to myself that I had a problem. I don't blame these people. I should have realized what I was doing was wrong. I now realize I have a problem, and I'm going to have to go through hell to get back to where I was. Please take heed of the warning signs and take steps to correct your mistakes. Your wife and your boss will really appreciate it.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome , you're in the right place! Just remember. If you're drinking isn't a problem, then it shouldn't be a big deal to give it up. Especially at the expense of your job and marriage. Just something to think about.

Showing up for work still drunk (buzzed) from the night before isn't "normal" behavior. It goes to show how skewed your thinking gets. Give yourself a break from booze and let the fog clear. Best wishes!!!
Old 10-27-2006, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses, everybody. Wednesday night I got picked up on a DUI even though I thought I was Ok to drive. I only blew a .14, but I got to visit the local jail for the night. My boss lent me $1000 to post bail, but he said if I screw up one more time, I was fired. So, I'll be trying to straighten up and fly right even though I could actually use a drink today. I'm tryin not to though. I wish there was somethin I could drink to make myself feel like I don't need some alcohol.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Wow... You got picked up not too long after your first post. Anyway, been there, done that, times three. My tolerance for alcohol has gone down over the past few years. At .14 I'm most likely in a blackout. The lights are on, but nobody's home...

I'm still struggling to not drink. It's damn hard sometimes. But it only seems to get worse if I keep drinking.

Welcome to the forums!

DK
Old 10-28-2006, 11:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chris_M
Thanks for the responses, everybody. Wednesday night I got picked up on a DUI even though I thought I was Ok to drive. I only blew a .14, but I got to visit the local jail for the night. My boss lent me $1000 to post bail, but he said if I screw up one more time, I was fired. So, I'll be trying to straighten up and fly right even though I could actually use a drink today. I'm tryin not to though. I wish there was somethin I could drink to make myself feel like I don't need some alcohol.
Chris
Come on. Have you read your own posts? I think that you need to get honest (really brutally honest) with yourself and then decide if you want to drink or if you are ready to get sober. I know if took me many years to make the decision, and it wasn't easy. We can't make you get sober....the choice is yours, are you ready?
JMHS
Old 10-28-2006, 05:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Chris,

It's great that things haven't gotten any worse thanthey are now. The sad part is, your wife and boss don't seem to realize this i probably not a matter of will power or concious control, if you are indeed and alcoholic.

here's the one thing to think about. Can you really give up alcohol to save your job?

If you feel like this is a dilema and problem, you may be in trouble. I lost both an engagement and my job before I started to straighten up. Maybe it won't have to go like that for you.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Chris, Welcome!

I suggest you call 404..525...3178
and ask for help.

Take care..