Notices

Hopeless

Old 10-24-2006, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hopeless

I just joined the forum today and envy everyone who seems to have a nice life ahead of them. I hate what alcohol continues to do to me and my family. I pray daily, most of the day, for the craving to go away. I am basically a weekend binger, drink about 3 days straight and spend the week guilty, ashamed, recovering, etc. I don't know what else to do at this point. I don't wish this on my husband or children anymore. I want free of this monster so badly. Any suggestions would be so appreciated.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wekcome to SR!!

It's great to see you are seeking answers to your drinking.

Have you tried to quit before with a program of recovery?

There is hope and there is healing...Blessings
Old 10-24-2006, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Dazed, welcome
Old 10-24-2006, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It was very hard for me to stay sober...and I did not know
WHY...
then I read a book..

"Under The Influence"
and it has a sequel..."Beyond The Influence"

Both can be ordered from Amazon.

That info+God+AA has worked great for me!

Here is a link to excerpts...in Alcoholism

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html
Old 10-24-2006, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Dazed. I just posted to you in the AA Forum that my answer to continuous sobriety is my Higher Power and the fellowship/program of AA ...

<---- That smilie has nothing to do with this post ... I just happen to like it!!
Old 10-24-2006, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dazed,

Welcome!

You are not alone. I understand how hopeless it feels to be so frustrated with yourself and your drinking.

You can do this and there's lots of support here.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Frustrated

Thanks for the kind words. I hve been in recovery one time four years ago. I was sober for one year but have not been since. I have called to find where AA meetings are in my area but have not yet attended. Fear, I suppose. I am afraid of finally exposing the problem as I am a nurse at a local hospital and don't want anyone to think horribly of me. I can't go on this way, though. I know life can be happy, I just can't seem to get there.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

go to a meeting....they are there to help you ....regardless of your profession.....
Old 10-24-2006, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Welcome Dazed.

Have you talked with a doctor at all? There are medications available that can help with cravings. And a psychologist or counselor can be helpful in providing objective feedback and motivational enhancement.

There are a variety of support organizations you may want to check out:

Alcoholics Anonymous
http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/?Media=PlayFlash

LifeRing Secular Recovery
http://www.unhooked.com

SMART
http://www.smartrecovery.org/

SOS - Secular Organisations for Sobriety
http://www.secularsobriety.org

Women for Sobriety
http://womenforsobriety.org/

LifeRing offers email support groups, several daily online meetings, and although not available everywhere, has a growing number of f2f meetings.

SMART Recovery offers a variety of tools to challenge your beliefs about the role alcohol plays in your life. SMART also has online meetings, forums, and f2f meetings in some areas.

And I can't forget online recovery communites like SR. Check out the various boards here. There's something for everyone!

DK
Old 10-24-2006, 04:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

me too

i was a weekend binger, once every week or two weeks then would feel like crap for 4 days after. i don't keep alcohol here and i avoid and social situation till i'm ready.. that's it , be selfish!! maybe talk to your dr about paxil or lorazepam, would stop the bad anxiety/cravings
Old 10-24-2006, 05:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can do this. There is always hope!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dazed
I am afraid of finally exposing the problem as I am a nurse at a local hospital and don't want anyone to think horribly of me.
Dazed,
AA changed my life. I was very afraid to attend a meeting because of my profession and my standing in the community. I got over this fear, and I'm so glad I did. I realized that I can trust people in AA. The few people who found out I was in AA didn't think bad of me at all. In fact, these people were very supportive!

Now that I am sober, I realize that my fear of going to AA was silly. When I was drinking, everyone around me knew I was drinking. I acted like a jerk and didn't care what people thought. Why should I care if they know I'm in recovery now?? Most people don't fill their minds with thoughts about me anyway....

I found that who attends AA and what is said in AA, stays in AA. I totaly felt comfortable with the program when I realized that " (sp?) anyonomity is the spirtitual foundation" of AA.

I hope you can stay sober, and find freedom from your monster. I had my own monster which tortured me.... AA helped take it away.

If you want to talk, you can PM me.
God Bless You,
chip
Old 10-25-2006, 12:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Dazed! Glad to see you started your own thread. It's a great way to get out there and hear what lots of different people have to share. Getting and staying sober is a tough thing to do, but it's not impossible. Lots of people who were worse off than me were able to do it, so I know that I just need to work at it and I can achieve the same results.

I too tried to pray constantly. I think I was waiting for a lightening bolt to come out of the sky and burn the glass of vodka in my hand. I finally came to believe that this "thing" we're praying to doesn't DO the action. It fills us with the knowledge of the right decision and the courage to take the actions ourselves. For me the right decisions were to call AA and learn everything I can about alcoholism and the war it's raging in my body. Then came the actions. I call my sponsor just to talk. I go to meetings and listen to what other people have done in situations similar to mine. I read and post here all the time and I've researched other recovery programs. I keep a journal so I can see the progression of my slide down and my climb back up. And when I think taking a drink is a good idea, I take even more actions.

I really hope that you continue to post and learn about what's happening to you.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi dazed -

welcome!
AA saved my life. It could well save yours.
The only requirement is a desire to stop drinking.
Please keep us up to date with your progress!
Old 10-25-2006, 09:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey, Dazed--

I have to second Carol's recommendation of that book ("Under the Influence"), as well as another, "Beyond the Influence." For some reason, reading those books FINALLY helped solidify my decision to be sober.

And remember, you are not alone in this!

Take care,
Jane
Old 10-25-2006, 09:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Dazed,
The suggestions here are bang on. In addition to finding some sort of support for yourself, you can also try to get past the cravings one craving at a time. By that I mean, when you get a bad craving, deep breathe through it. Breathe in like a baby breathes, so your abdomen puffs out and then exhale and suck your belly in really far. Do this a few times and it really helps relax you as the immediate craving passes.

The book suggestions are fantastic -- and they usually have them at the library if you can't get out and buy a copy.

You've said it yourself - you "want free of the monster so badly" - That is enough to get you through this. The worst is right now. It all gets better from here.

Hugs,
CS
Old 10-25-2006, 09:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

you can do this...if you have done it before you can do it again...do it for your family...but more importantly...do it for yourself....you deserve a long happy, sober life and i know it will come if you try...good luck...
Old 10-25-2006, 11:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Dazed,

I know how you feel. If you don't want to get sober for yourself, please think of your children. They would greatly appreciate it. Try to substitute drinking with activities with your kids.

Cubbie