Notices

Anxiety

Old 10-17-2006, 03:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

Anyone have any suggestions on dealing with anxiety? Things were going OK until today. Now, I just feel like there is no way out of my current situation. I definitely have things to do, but I am having trouble concentrating on what I need to be doing. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cubbie,

Early sobriety is a hard time because you are faced with the things you've done and the life you've been living. For me, that was really hard to look at and I didn't know where to start. My suggestion is don't attempt to do everything at once. Takes things slow and try to accomplish one thing each day. For the anxiety, try exercise or yoga and breathing exercises. I think the anxiety will subside as you move forward in your sober life.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

don't put too much on your plate, do a list of all things you have to do, cross them out as you do it, but no pressure everything will get done in due time
Old 10-17-2006, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

take good care of yourself...make sure you drink plenty of fluids and take a vitamin...chamomile tea really helps me relax...quiet time to yourself...and taking things slow is always a good thing....don't stress...realise that your emotions are on a rollercoaster right now but your body will soon learn to regulate things while sober....soft music always helps me relax...take it easy and things will get better...
Old 10-17-2006, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the suggestions. I think recovery would be a lot easier if I had committed to sobriety when the rest of my life was somewhat in order. Right now, I am unemployed and in a part time MBA program (I am set to graduate in December). I am also facing DWI charges (3rd time in 5 years). I might be working soon (if I pass my background check). Today, I feel like I won't get the job and that I won't graduate. I keep thinking about worst case scenarios. The thing that really drove me over the edge today was that I called the HR lady about a training CD I was supposed to get by mail. She didn't call me back. I started thinking that I didn't pass the background check. I wish I could fast forward to two weeks from now. At least by then I will have some idea of what my future holds.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Originally Posted by liiise
don't put too much on your plate, do a list of all things you have to do, cross them out as you do it, but no pressure everything will get done in due time
I totally agree, I made a list of everything I needed to do, everything I wanted to do, what I needed shopping, what I had to pay back, what was coming up etc then just had that list. I think just having the list there makes you feel a bit more in control of your life, brings a certain organised feeling to the whole thing, and you feel better regardless of whether the list gets finshed!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

go to your Doctor and see if he can put u on drugs

GL
Old 10-17-2006, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cubbie,
It sounds like your mind is going into overdrive right now. I hate that feeling eh!! Try and change those thoughts around. Maybe something like "If I am meant to have this job then it will be and if not there will be others". Congrats on your MBA program, that is great. Tap yourself on the back, you deserve it. Your future holds whathever you want it to. Your at the controls without booze.
Joanne
Old 10-17-2006, 04:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tom Leafs, are you serious about medication? I know it may help, but I don't want to substitute one drug for another. Have you taken medication for anxiety?
Old 10-17-2006, 05:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cubbie,

This is just my opinion BUT, I think that it's still early on in your sobriety to decide you need meds for anxiety. It might turn out that you do need them, but try to be patient. The thing is, us addicts don't learn how to deal with every day life. We medicate ourselves with alcohol or something. When we become sober we have to go through a learning process and deal with all the stuff that comes along.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Cubbie, if you are having some extreme anxiety through the early recovery which I believe to be normal as I went through it my first 6 weeks or so...Try some vigorous excersise twice a day, morning and evening, drink plenty of water and definitely gwet yourself on a B complex vitamin. If you are anxious at night and have a hard time sleeping try some Chamomile tea, or over the counter Benadryl to relax you and make you feel drowsy.
If all that fails, you may want to see a doc and get some type of benzodiazepam for the really anxious ridden moments. A half milligram of Xanax a couple times a day will do the trick. Xanax can be habit forming though, I'd take only under extreme anxiety and not on a daily basis.

Just my two cents worth.

I"ve got 90 days sober today and things definitely get much better as time goes by.........60 or 70 days in was when I really started feeling in control and got back a very welcome sense of well-being.

Good luck my friend.

Scott
Old 10-17-2006, 05:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

yes I Take effexor xr , but other meds might be better for you, or help groups that your city might offer.

GL