Notices

first time posting

Old 10-16-2006, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

first time posting

hello i am new here. i have 8 1/2 months clean since i joined the program on january 29th. i am in my mid-20s and live in chicago. in short, im in AA because i cant drink safely. i will ultimately end up doing heroin. i entered detox strung out and 130 pounds with not a dollar to my name, no IDs, and just the clothes on my back. i was refered to a recovery house where i was able to do a 90/90, find a sponser, and work the steps.

approaching 9 months later i now have my own apartment, work for bank of america, and am working the 8th step. spirtually i am much more fit then i was, though my character defects flare up constantly.

from a personal possession stand point, i never thought id have the things i have now (laptop, ipod, tv, dvd player, etc) but building up the network is still my top priority. i dont have the amount of friends id like to have but im slowly getting there. ive done things in sobriety im not proud of, behavior that is the old me, but at this moment in time nothing is worth using over. im not going to say ill never use again, but today (oct 16th) you couldnt pay me to use alcohol or drugs.

glad to be here and i look forward to getting to know everybody.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Chicago, and welcome!

You should be very proud of yourself. I'm really happy to hear of the way you turned your life around.
It's great to have you here!

T
Old 10-16-2006, 05:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WTG!!!!!
As Thorn said, congrats!!!! Im glad you found the right thing for you!!!! Keep posting and reading!!! This place is awesome!!!!
Liss
Old 10-16-2006, 05:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, and welcome,
that is a great story - and an inspiration. I am no where near where you are right now - but I'm getting there, one day at a time - and today I feel better than i did yesterday.
You should be very proud of yourself for what you've been through, and where you managed to get to. Awesome job.
here's to one more day clean,
cheers
Old 10-16-2006, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chicago,

Welcome!

It sounds like you're doing great and your life is moving along nicely. Of course the old behaviours creep into being from time to time, but you just need to recognize it for what it is and to work on it.

I hope you keep posting.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Chicago,

Thank you for sharing your story. It is nice to hear that you have taken positive steps. You are an inspiration. Keep up the good work. Go Bears!

Cubbie
Old 10-16-2006, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

wow thanks for the warm welcome. i will definitely stick around. we're all in this together. now if the bears will just beat up on the cardinals, ill officially have nothing to complain about!
Old 10-17-2006, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Chicago, did you see the end of the game last night? The Bears got away with one. Unfortunately, I did not stay up to see the game winning punt return.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

yes i did see the game. it was absolutely amazing. the cards gave one away but we'll take it. if you play that bad and still win things are officially going your way.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

C H I C A G O
Old 10-17-2006, 04:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

chicago...i love love love your city...i lived in joliet for two years and i miss that beautiful city...even that freezing wind...we had a windstorm last night and i slept like a baby...

you have an absolutely amazing story...many people take years to change their lives the way you have, or they never do....you should be so proud and not so hard on yourself for your little faults...nobody's perfect after all...especially we addicts...the fact that you admit that you have faults and are willing to work to change is great...thanks for sharing your amazing, inspiring story...