Old 10-16-2006, 03:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Katie.....
Chk Your PM sweetie!!!!!!

Love Liss
Old 10-16-2006, 07:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

****, hang in and give time time...

i'm a muscian, a drummer... the bar, club, collage circut was a real big help to my demise... i waited over a year to be in the right state of mind to be able to go back up on a stage, booze, drug free... and i must say... the first night was a real awakening to the power of sobriety... doing what i love to do. sober... what a trip... after puting tons of work in my recovery, working w/Big Foot (sponser), the rooms and the steps, and my online sites... i now can do what i love, and go in a club for the right reasons.. i'm not chic shopping, looking for drugs, and certantly not get'n pie-eyed...
****, what i have been show is called motives... mine are now in all the riight places... and ****, letmetellya, when the tequila flows by my nose, i do sit up and get a few flashbacks... so ****, even after a few 24's, it's stil flurt'n with disaster for me to get behind the old drum kit in a club...

good wishes ****...xxoo, Zip
Old 10-17-2006, 07:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I thank all of you for posting in reply to my desperate need to try to be talked out of not wanting that drink. I haven't had one yet, but the desire to drink is far from subsiding. I am going to try my best to hang on until December...(my signature)...I hope I make it.

I sincerely thank you for all of your support.

Katie
Old 10-17-2006, 08:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Katie!

Ya know, when I started contemplating sobriety and trying to imagine my life not drinking I painted this whole doom and gloom picture where I would never get to go dancing, go to cookoffs or sing kareoke again. I was sure I was going to be miserable sober. I could not have been more wrong.

At a little over 2 years now I do all the things I did before with one major difference. I don't drink! I found an AA home group that likes to have fun and I have never had so much fun as I have since joining. We go to sober dances, we go out to eat, we go to each other's homes and play games like taboo (now that's a trip, getting a bunch of sober drunks together playing games) and just recently I have taken up kareoke. My soon to be fiance and I went on our first "date" to sing. Since then we go every Saturday and are joined by anywhere from 10 - 15 members. We sit totally away from the bar and drinking doesn't even enter into the picture. We have a blast, we socialize and laugh and then we go home..................... safe and sober. We remember everything the next day. It's so cool. In the summer we go to the river and have bar-b-ques, during the holidays we stay open 48 hours non-stop and play poker.

Life doesn't have to end just because you stop drinking. Life is so much better sober. Get out and enjoy the sober life BUT before you do make a safety plan for yourself. Whenever you go out, make sure you have other sober people with you or confide in someone that you can't drink and why. That gives you extra accountability. If you have a sponsor then call before you go, while you're there and when you leave. Decide in advance what you're going to drink and then guard your drink like a hawk. Don't set it down and risk grabbing up the wrong one. Plan an escape hatch for yourself so if you get squirrely or just can't handle it anymore you are free to get up and leave. Pray before, during and after.

If anyone close to you appears inebriated, watch that person, see how disgusting they are acting and remember you used to be that way too but today you are not and you don't ever have to be there again if you don't choose to.

I hope this helps!
Kellye
Old 10-17-2006, 10:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Kellye D wrote:
"Life doesn't have to end just because you stop drinking"

Absolute truth. Only then can LIFE ... begin.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

BTW... ****

I can completely relate to where you are coming from right now. Reading this post has been helpful. I'm quit back at the beginning of July. Now that the initial days of quitting is over I've been thinking about the whole I can never do this again. It's a really hard thought for me.

I'm settled and wouldn't change anything for the world right now - my life is amazingly better now - I have lost the last 15 pounds of weight I gained drinking (I gained 35) since July. I am focussed at work. My relationships are a 100% better. I am feeling really good.

But I'm 30 so the thought of never drinking again is pretty hard.

I'm not giving up and this maybe a warning sign which is good.

Thanks for starting this thread.