Notices

Wow.. This is sooo hard

Old 10-13-2006, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wow.. This is sooo hard

I am actually really surprised about how much I am craving tonight.. I just have such a big urge. It hit me out of left field. I hate this feeling. I just want to scream in frustration. I am approaching day 30
Joanne
Old 10-13-2006, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((Joanne))

Congrats!!! 30 days is a bigun, emotionally as well as physically... You are in prayer, and I hope you will post re how you're doing with your "craving". I don't know you, or your Drug Of Choice, but.... The group here is an awesome one, and you will meet new friends here like you've never dreamed!!! Yes, my friend, it IS SO HARD, but if you hang on, the reward is so much more than you could dream... HOW ARE YOU??? If you're still online, please post again. Love you. K
Old 10-13-2006, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Joanne, and I hope you got through your 30th day, still sober/clean! Some of the things I did to keep the craving away was to always have hard candies and even lollipops on hand.... I had coffee, diet/decaf cola, tea, water that I always sipped through a straw. I'd also call someone, go to a meeting, read the Big Book, work Step 1 over and over again.

I hope you'll get a sponsor as soon as you can, to guide and encourage you.
Even a temporary sponsor is better than none.

I'd always (and still do) ask God for strength and courage, whenever I felt weak or helpless. Sometimes I'd ask many times over. Things will get better, if you keep on keeping on.

When I came into AA, I was hurting so badly that I would have done cart-wheels for a mile if I was so instructed... that's how strongly I wanted sobriety. I was willing to go to any lengths for it.

God bless and please keep on posting, okay? The more you share, the better,

Big hugs,
Luv
Old 10-13-2006, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am at my aproching my 30 day too and on a waiting list for one of the best rehab centers in Canada, keep it up, ill try too! GL...GB...GN

Old 10-13-2006, 09:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

this is truely the greatest group of people, laurience. try not to focus on the urge. when i was craving, and i still am but not as bad i would spend alot of time reading here and posting and it helped me not think about the urges as bad. you keep up the good work and i'll say a prayer for ya!!! god bless, and way to go on 30 days!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Those first 30 days are tough. Im glad your here posting instead of using.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

totally agree with time2--come here, vent. just don't drink.

you are doing it!!!

i found that reading alcoholism literature really helped me and continues to do so.

keep on keeping on! one day at a time. 30 days is a big deal!!
Old 10-14-2006, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I got through last night.. thanks for all your posts.. I will write again later. Busy taking care of the kids right now but just wanted to say that I am o.k.
Thank you all
JOanne
Old 10-14-2006, 06:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

GREAT!!!! good morning! im glad your better!
Old 10-14-2006, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I want to thank you ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT... Today is a much better day. I treated myself to a nice Japanese lunch, went shopping a bit (without the kids) and later in the afternoon I went for a jog. I really needed some me time because hubby was away all week.
I know I will have some struggles ahead but I will surpass them. I also realized that I need a backup plan when I get those urges. I try and think about that tonight. Last night really scared me. Your all so nice for responding and caring.. Thank you.
Joanne
Old 10-14-2006, 05:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Today is day 28th!! youhoooo!!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 06:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I also realized that I need a backup plan when I get those urges. I try and think about that tonight. Last night really scared me.
I read your post a few days ago about doing things on your own: with reading here and in books and by seeking counseling. With that in mind, I won't preach, but I will emphasize that one of the reasons so many people swear by AA or another group-oriented approach to recovery is that there's nothing like one alkie helping another, face to face.

Many people try to kick a habit thinking it's just that -- a habit. Some find that it's not like chewing your fingernails. There are physical and mental -- and spiritual/emotional -- aspects of addiction that only another whose been through it understands. And there's nothing like another warm body in front of you who knows and understands when things get rough. Or a voice on the telephone. Your books can't talk back to you, and though message boards, e-mail and chat rooms are valuable, there's a disconnectedness in internet communication. Someone on a message board can't give you the kind of healing hug you might need at times. Or pour you another cup of coffee while you're spilling your guts on the kitchen table.

I'm all for using every resource available in recovery, but I think that some are indispensible. If things get rocky and you are having a hard time holding onto your sobriety, please try to keep an open mind about building a flesh & blood network in your own neighborhood that you can call on for help.

Congrats on day 28!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 10-14-2006, 06:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

congratulations joanne

Wow, 30 days, that's amazing, good for you! I'm on day one so you are an inspiration! keep going!
Old 10-14-2006, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sugah,
I really appreciate that advice. I did try AA twice before and maybe it wasn't my time to quit or I maybe I was somewhat still in denial but didn't feel like I could relate at that time.
That was then and I am sure there are other occasional binge drinkers that go to AA. I know they are not all daily drinkers. I never, thank god got to the point where I woke up and had a drink etc..
I might go, it has been in my thoughts. I know I will relate to some of the stories or get alot of useful feedback.
Thanks again.
Joanne
Old 10-14-2006, 06:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Also, the first time I went to AA I got a sponsor who called me ALL THE TIME.. She would constantly ask me for rides and cigarettes (I used to smoke back then). I really didn't feel comfortable. I guess that was just the luck of the draw. Maybe that left a bad taste in my mouth.
Joanne
Old 10-14-2006, 07:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Laurience,

I tried AA a few times and so far really didn't like it. What is certain though, is that it is agood thing to have support. I found sometimes I had sudden upwhelings of emotion, and a lot of regrets about how i could have spent my time better over the course of the last 20 years.

Believe it or not though, it took me about 40 days before a cloud lifted from my gloom.

I still face life like a rabbit with just my ears sticking out of a hole trying to whisper to other rabbit while avoiding a really mean guy with a club that smacks the ears of whispering rabbits.

No two people are exactly alike, as long as they are individuals.

One of my favorite quotes about the devastating disease of alcoholism is this:

" Everyone starts out unique. in the end they are all the same".

Trust the fact that we are not alone in this problem, and hopefully it will also help us (me) be more tolerant of other people's problems.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hang in there, evrything passes.

Kevin
Old 10-15-2006, 01:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You cab do this!!

Old 10-15-2006, 02:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by laurience
Also, the first time I went to AA I got a sponsor who called me ALL THE TIME.. She would constantly ask me for rides and cigarettes (I used to smoke back then). I really didn't feel comfortable. I guess that was just the luck of the draw. Maybe that left a bad taste in my mouth.
Joanne
It's okay to take your time, check people out, and really listen to what they say. When you hear someone who's speaks of a level of serenity and togetherness you would like for yourself, then watch how they act. If they seem to live honestly, practice what they preach, and don't seem to be two different people during the meeting and in the social time before and after, then that might be someone you want to ask to sponsor you.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience. I wish I could say that yours was an exception, but it does happen. There's a lot of pressure sometimes to go to meetings, read the Big Book and get a sponsor! You wouldn't buy the first car you looked at if you didn't know anything about cars, would you? Maybe not a perfect analogy, but you get the idea

Hope you'd doing well today!!

Peace & Love,
Sugah