Notices

Need Help Finding a Rehab Center

Old 10-12-2006, 07:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Help Finding a Rehab Center

Hi all.
I'm 33 years old, and I've struggled with alcohol for a long time now. I once tried a rehab center, but left after a few days. When I went in, I was drinking all day and having some bad physical symptoms. I stayed sober for awhile, but now I find myself unable to quit drinking again. I'm not drinking as much as I used to, but it is still messing with my life. I have been to the doctor, and luckily I am physically "healthy" for now.

My question is this, and please don't take offense. I personally don't think that the 12 step/AA program is for me. I feel like it forces me to constantly obsess about my "disease" and for my whole life (every week at least) I would just end up me being focused on alcohol.

My goal is really just to get away and put this behind me. I really think I could quit, if I could just get out of this rut. Get back to the old days, when I exercised regularly. Although my financial resources are somewhat limited, I am willing to travel anywhere in the US. I am looking for a sober place where I can stay for a month and just "recharge". What I don't want is too much structure, with required meeting and chores, etc. Just a nice quiet place with a library and voluntary meetings would be ideal. A counselor to talk to about various life circumstances that have left me with some depression would also be nice. Maybe such a place doesn't exist.

I don't mean to sound too melodramatic or whiny, as I know there are a lot of people here struggling with a lot of problems, many worse than mine. Anyways, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

At the bottom of our home page you will see
info that might be useful.

I have no experience with rehabs to share
as I have not beeen in one.

Take care...
Old 10-12-2006, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here you are...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/links/t...ntcenters.html
Old 10-13-2006, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

I didn't find anything offensive in what you said, but I will say that it sounds to me like you're trying to design your own treatment center.

My experience has been that, if we knew what we needed and how to achieve it, we wouldn't need to be seeking help in the first place. A quiet place with a library and voluntary meetings sounds like home, and it doesn't sound like home has been an ideal situation to help you get and stay sober.

Why not surrender a bit to the idea that treatment professionals have some idea of what works to treat alcoholism and try something new, like structure, support group meetings and all those things you're not so keen on at the moment?

Who knows? Could work. Might not. Worth a shot, methinks. From what you've said, what you're doing now is clearly not working...

I remember hearing years ago that alcoholism is a disease that resists its own recovery...
Old 10-13-2006, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Marino,
I was in a couple re-habs myself,hated the 1st one ,program from 9 to 1 mon. thru fri. and that was it.Too much time to spend in my own head.within a week of getting out I had a quart of whiskey in my hand!( although a friend in recory loved the same place.
The other one was very structured, up at 7a.m. breakfast meetings,meetings meetings, lunch , meeting meetings, dinner, meetings ,meetings,meetings with some free time mixed in.Very little time for
"The Committee" in my head.Absolutely loved this place(my same friend was a guest here too and hated it).Iguess what I'm saying is when youre ready, youre ready.If you really want to get and stay sober,... surrender!
What do you have to lose but the bottle.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the advice. I'm going to see what type of program I can afford as I don't have insurance.
I just know I have to stop drinking. I'm wasting my life (and health) away.

Congrats to those who are staying sober!

Last edited by marino; 10-13-2006 at 05:52 PM.