Notices

Recovery/Physical changes ???

Old 10-12-2006, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Recovery/Physical changes ???

Hi, everyone. My name is Kim, and I'm a gratefully recovering alcoholic. 2 years of severe (half gallon + 1/5th daily on days off, "home" nights were 1/5 +, vodka or gin) drinking, 30 day res June - July 05, relapse in Sept 05 (hospitalized, HBP), and Dec 05. (hospitalized, HBP, CNS depression, A/LOC) No alcohol RT since, though odd dreams persist often enough to give me the creeps. I live in a weird town of elite or dirt poor, not much in-between, and feel out of place at local meetings, with upper-crusties looking down their noses at me, and my few peers, so am very thankful to have found this forum and met some people more like me.
I now have hypertension, medicated and in the care of a PA-C since Oct 05, and while she has been a huge blessing to me, and isn't at all like the er docs who hate drunks and would sooner kick me to the curb than help me, she is at a loss... I'm 40 now, if it makes a difference, and she's fixing to say it's all in my head. Maybe it is. Please, anyone here who can give me more substantial ammo, do so now. ?
A year of clean diet, lowered cholesterol by 34 pts, lots of water, (minimum of 165 oz, usually more, I blamed on HBP med, she says no way, but renal function is fine), regular exercise, supplements, (multi, B-complex, calcium, and C), and a surgical repair to a poorly healed ankle bone have left me in bad shape, and I'm at a loss... I was a strong, physically active, hard-worker, flushed down the toidy. I'm weak, shaky, lethargic, fatigued, uncharacteristically grumpy, forcing myself to be functional, having learned the 24 hour naps do no good, but neither does exercise. I've poor balance, fall when not placing each step slowly and deliberately, postural hypotension, mild vertigo, (lifelong, and now I think of it, absent the 2 years I drank???) frequently lose a word, sometimes an entire train of thought, poor general recall, and very poor reading recall now, having to re-read numerous times, and still losing most of it(I used to learn quickly)... The odd tremors, some rigidity, slow and deliberate gait, sometimes quick-step compensation for faltering, while alarming, are easy to blame on the not-quite -finished ankle. I so don't want to go back to her and whine more, she's gonna do the normal "Physically, you're fine. I strongly think you're depressed". DUH!!! (Bad words, lots of them)
She did labs last week, all is well. Minor things "off", nothing to point a finger anywhere direct. Only questionable is thyroid hormone conversion, (I've many hypo s/s but tsh is "normal", no real indicator.)awaiting results. Last year, witnessing my tremors, she was concerned about the possibility of Parkinsonism, and I explained it away as nerves. (Didn't want to be there, and really I was nervous, unsure if she'd be the type to mutter about stupid drunks wasting time or treat me like a human being. Glad she was the latter.)
So I wonder about the damage from long term alcohol abuse, also from taking haldol and thorazine as a young teen, if anyone here knows about the atypical parkinson's syndromes? Or? Thiamine deficiency, whether it is long-term or permanent damage, which could be the source of most of my s/s, or whether it is something which stabilises after a period of abstinence.
I'm not physically good right now, and emotionally I'm nearly done. I NEED to know what is wrong, and say honestly the only thing I have left to offer myself is to quit smoking. I know I need to, but I can't lay all my troubles on smoking.
A simple hormone supplement or vitamin bringing me back to a decent level of health is, in my humble, "too good to be true", but I can't help but hope. Does anyone here know about this stuff??? Even those not knowing the "whys", I'd love to hear from folks how their experience of health altered when they quit drinking???
Thank you all for neing here. K
Old 10-12-2006, 10:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Kim...

I have no ideas to share...Sorry.

I can tell you that for me...my mind and body
took about 6 months to become balanced.

Blessings...
Old 10-12-2006, 11:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Tell her to look up ALCOHOLIC NEUROPATHY. Or you can do a google search also.....................

It's caused from excessive drinking. The alcohol literlly burns the coverings off the nerve endings and the nerves start to send erroneous messages to the extremities....................I know I have it. The coverings never regrow. In time those messages turn in to very sharp stabbing pains from the heel up the leg, or the leg will all of a sudden feel like someone has just thrown a bucket of burning gasoline on you. However, if it is alcoholic neuropathy there is an anti seizure drug that does help a great deal it is called Neurontin. I am actually walking better than I was for many years and I do not get the 'flare ups' of pain as long as I take the Neurontin. Years ago, they use to call it "Jake Leg."

As to the memory and brain problems, alcohol really plays hell with the frontal lobe of the brain and it can take over a year from our last drink for our thinking, short term memory etc to start to come back.

Hope this helps a bit.

Love and hugs,
Old 10-13-2006, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, Carol & Laurie! I will check into this, and refer my PA if she doesn't already know. Pretty astute, going after the PD thing, backed away when I excused it, that may be the idea she had in her head. Will find out. Still have to wait until next week, but hoping the labs come in today so at least I'll know what I'm waiting for! Take good care, and be blessed! K
Old 10-13-2006, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Thanks for shareing Kim,...

Yep sorry, but lot's of that sound's like Dr stuff to me, and I really hope that ALL the Health things work out..! So carnt really give you any info, Just,

A Big Hello n Welcome to the Board,..........

.......xXx...!
Old 10-13-2006, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Arura,
Thank you. You're kind to me, and I am grateful. Yeppers, I'm on da phone to my PA today, leaving mssg for labs, appt next week to get what is buggering me and crying / whining b/c they shut down early on Fri. How DARE they take time out? LOL Dag my foot looks infected again, but I dunno. Some urgent care doc said "Oh yea, all the red is infection" last month. Now it's red again, weeps /bleeds, I don't wanna go take dumb abs (potty time) for no cause, rather let my reg PA tell me yea or nay... But grrr I'm tired, and tired of waiting. If I pray for patience, I will regret it... LOL
Old 10-13-2006, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Now it's red again, weeps /bleeds,
That is not something to wait until Monday on. I would suggest you get to an ER and have it looked at, cleaned, and checked out. You may need to be on antibiotics again and for longer than previous. I don't want to scare you, however, an infection in the foot could end up in amputation. Wouldn't it be better to go get it checked instead of waiting the whole weekend:?

Love and hugs,
Old 10-13-2006, 05:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Laurie. Thanks for the note. Maybe I'll go to U/C in AM. No way I'll go to ED, it isn't serious, and some folks are. B/C of the problem, I keep it clean, no worry. Don't want to talk about amputation, wanted that a year ago b/c of the pain, dr's wont do it. I just recall the pile of meds from last time, still don't know if I was really infected or not, and resistive to the idea of drugging patients b/c they think they NEED to do something, yanno? 2 days ain't gonna kill me. But mebbe I'll go just to see if another Dr says the same thing. Grr... God is answering prayer, I was dumb enough to ask for patience, LOL!
Old 10-14-2006, 12:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Hi Kim I do hope your foot is'nt too painful,.....can you go to a chemist n get some bit's n get it cleaned up,...! if its weeping or Bleeding still this morning..!

I dont know the health option's in the state's,...???

I have Varicose vein's in 1 leg mainly n there from my past IV use,...I thought i might of got away with that one but my leg hurt's,...! n i wear a knee sopport to help me as it aches,....The gernrel prospect of losing my leg in later life is Quite high,....Gutted... ...!

My Grandma has also just lost her leg,...!

Thank fully she's home and back with us........

Any how just wanted to cheak in n see if you had got it sorted ...
Old 10-14-2006, 05:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Kim -

Welcome! I agree completely about going to the doc.

It could be diabetes , could be anything. I'm no doc.
Time to take care of the self.
Congrats on 'bing' sober, do what the doc says, ok?
Old 10-14-2006, 06:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

hey
many of the things you are describing is what i had from hypoglycemia--very common among alkies --even in sobriety--i had blurred vision--tremors--seizures-sweating--clammy--constant dull headache--shaky--felt terrible--finally found out it was hypoglycemia and now all my symptoms are gone because im on a hypoglcemic diet--you said you are on a special diet--i dont know if its the same as a hypo duet, but you can look up hypoglycemia and compare--good luck yo you my friend--glad your sober
Laura
Old 10-14-2006, 11:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Arura,
thanks, my friend. I am blessed to have full coverage with a local hospital, and can go to any doc, ed or urgent care under their umbrella. US chemists don't do anything without a DR order, but I am used to this and keep it clean. Not supposed to use rubbing alcohol or mercurochrome or the like, (They kill living tissue, so they tell us nowadays just soap and water.) It is just raw, I have to wear a neoprene wrap to keep from rolling, and it rubs/holds sweat. I use diaper creme to keep it from getting hold, but periodically I gotta get infected. But I trust my reg practitioner to not drug me up, and those uc docs think they gotta give lots of drugs, make a person feel they got their money's worth, yanno? So I'd rather wait. Can't walk w/o the wrap, so I'm on my fat one this weekend... But I'm ok, this isn't a new thing. I just wish I KNEW if it was, it doesn't smell funky, and I've no temp, so I think the UC doc was just not on it.
Barb, thank you. I will do what my practitioner says, I'm not gonna argue with her , just want her to say it, not some fart who thinks he HAS to prescribe something, yanno? Antibiotics are lifesavers, yes, but if overused, they can cause serious troubles.
Laura, thanks. I am curious enough about the hypoglycemia. Check my sugar frequently b/c diabetes in the family, and if anything, I run borderline hypo. Never had a fasting over 115, or a random over 160, so not diabetic. Just that I sense the shaking of large muscles is "hunger" and while I never have gut hunger pains, I know those shakes mean, "Feed me", so I wonder. But I never have a reading that is "critical" so ???
Would you describe the hypo diet? Or if it isn't ok here, pm me? I eat lo fat, 10 - 20 %, lo sodium, for the hbp and trying to lower cholesterol. Lots of beans, whole grains, and fruits and vegies. Poultry, eggs, fish, only once a week, meat once in 2 weeks, very little white flour or sugar. I'm really curious about the hypo diet? Is it similar, just smaller and mroe frequently?
What is on my foot is honestly from the wrap, I know what diabetic ulcers look like, and this ain't it. So no worries. K
Old 10-14-2006, 02:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi,

I have been unwell since January this year..my problem isnt alcohol, I was addicted to codeine and sleeping meds. I had a virus in January and my joints became painful to the point of not being able to move, also had some neurological involvment including numbness, also have rapid heart rate and extreme fatigue..I was given a partial diagnosis of chronic fatique syndrome but to be honest they only say that when they dont know what it is. I have also been suffering badly with depression for the last 4 months or so.

Sorry I am rambling, couple of weeks ago I had some blood tests and the came back showing a vitamin b12 defiency, when I looked it up it can cause all of the symptoms I have, so I have started injections, tablets dont work if you have b12 problem as your body doesnt absorb the tablets...whilst I was reading up on it...it said that alcholics are very prone to b12 defiency...so it might be worth looking into. I cant say I feel any better since the injection but at least I maybe have an answer...cos it is so frustrating being ill and not being given an answer as to why.

Chloe
Old 10-14-2006, 02:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(((Chloe)))
Thank you for your reply. The B-12 is something I will revisit with my PA next week. You're right, it causes a multitude of s/s,and in alcoholics, it mimics parkinsonism, and a host of other disorders. What I've not been able to find out is whether it is a permanent thing, and could thus be at the root of my troubles, or if it subsides upon return to a normal diet, which I've done for almost a year. How is your diet these days? Have you noted any improvement with it before being treated with injections? There are lots of good info sites, but none of them indicate the timing factor. I don't want to go say these things without knowing if they're likely, what chances I have left are related to having real likelihoods in hand at next visit. If I fail, or lead her on a wild goose chase, I fear I'll end up with antidepressants just cause she's backed into a corner and feels the need to "do something", like your Doc with the CFS. Garsh, I hate those things.
Give your treatment some time, and know that I will pray for your recovery, hoping that you will soon find yourself feeling better. I don't know about the physiological results of your drugs of choice, but from what I'm gathering, no recovery is overnight, and we must be patient, and above all, encourage each other. Thank you. Take care of yourself, and let us know how you are. K
Old 10-14-2006, 03:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

When I was using, I had some symptoms. I brushed them off to drug abuse, but now that I'm in recovery I have found out it was MS.

Please get a workup. If nothing, it will ease your mind knowing what, if anything, is wrong.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

hey
well your diet seems pretty good--you can look up hypoglycemia and the web will give you all you need to know--i know that its no fat or sugar (or minimal)--frits--protein is a big one to eat--whole grain breads--lean meat only--boneless, skinless chicken,potatoes no gravy,veggies--cheese ok--1% milk--use sugar substitute if you can --basically an etrenely healthy diet--it turned life around from those horrible symptoms and now i feel so good--now of course i eat an ice cream here or there or a hearty steak meal but very minamally--hope this helps-
Laura
Old 10-15-2006, 05:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

oh and it is six small meals a day--one every few hours to work the best for sure
Old 10-15-2006, 12:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It seems like you might be experiencing depression. I had such bad depression that I had poor cognitive abilities for quite a while, and my alcoholism really got rolling during that time as well. I am taking a supplement regime involving a great many amino acids mentioned in the book Seven Weeks To Sobriety and I feel much better. I take SAM-E, Tryptophan, GABA, Taurine, Methionine, Rhodiola Rosea, Evening Primrose Oil, and Tyrosine for my depression and a great many vitamins. I also have hypoglycemia and I am going to start a diet for that but I am only 45 days sober and I am changing so much right now I want to have a firm footing in my AA program, a literally clean house and my crap together before I begin any other lifestyle changes so I don't quit on them. But I am so excited about the changes these supplements bring I just want to shout it to the world!

I hope your foot gets better and that you get some relief from all these symptoms. You're in my prayers!
Old 10-15-2006, 12:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

UnusedPortion! Thank you. I have been for one year taking a multivitamin, a calcium/magnesium/zinc, a b-complex, and for the last 4 months, a C supplement, advised to aid in fighting infections. Initially, I took those plus CoQ-10, Brewer's Yeast, and Kyo-Green, stopped because I noted no differences to justify the added expenses, plus was made aware that the Brewer's Yeast & Kyo-Green might raise my WBC, and keep me from having my surgery.
I will not put anything in my mouth again without my practitioner's consent, I know vitamins/minerals are vital, but also know herbals and mega-doses can be harmful if one isn't aware of their metabolic effects.
I am so thankful for this forum, and for the advise from fellows, that I, too, have the urge to go on the roof and shout! I KNOW in my heart that continued abstinence is primal, and that in addition to continued commitment to exercise, I need to quit smoking... And I'm currently devouring info on helps/aids in that regard.
I know my HCP is looking after my best interests, and know I prolly need to shut my piehole and listen, but also know that there are things that get swept under rugs, and they're human, they look for things but tend to find "depression", "CFS", "MS", etc., when they're stumped, so I'm in a zone of avoidance.
IF I'm clinically depressed, and I permit her to say it and RX tx, how long does it take to see results? How long should I let her lead me with antidepressants, and how do I determine the effects??? Before I say, "Not working for me." I've no experience with those meds, but hear bad news about them, and I don't want to be swept under a rug. I also would like to know, what about herbals? St John's Wort? How would I bring it up? Cuz a dear friend quit smoking, and her dr gave wellbutrin, and instead to gain she lost weight. So I don't want wellbutrin but heard st john's wort does good?
Well. God is in control. I go one day this coming week, and I'm gonna do whatever I'm told, even if I don't agree. I have to trust someone, and I think my HCP is a good starting point. Just i'd love to have some data to take with me.