Notices

Dilemma

Old 10-02-2006, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dilemma

I just received a great job offer today. I am reluctant to take it due to the background check. I have been convicted of DWI twice, and the case for the 3rd offense is pending. I now recognize that I have a problem. I am prospecting treatment providers. Should I accept the offer and disclose all the details up front or should I politely decline? Is there a third option. I know I should focus on my recovery, but I must work to pay the bills and keep my sanity. The only thing that actually validates my existence is my work. What should I do?
Old 10-02-2006, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Well, if they are going to find out you may want to tell them first. But are you sure they are going to find out. I probably woudln't say anything. If they ask then I would explain to them, and let them know that you are sober.

I personally would keep working though.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I have worked in HR and at our company, not disclosing information and having it show up on the background check is immediate grounds for dismissal or withdrawal of the offer. Better to be upfront and let them know BEFORE they find it especially if these occurred in the same state you are currently in or are planning to work in. It may be embarassing but nowhere near as embarassing as having them call you and tell you about it.

Good luck and hugs,
Kellye
Old 10-02-2006, 04:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I believe honesty is always the best way to go. Keeps the conscience happy!
Old 10-02-2006, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that if you know or believe they are doing a background check, your best bet is to talk about it upfront.

Let them know your situation and what you are doing and see where it goes from there.