Notices

Feeling Angry

Old 09-26-2006, 07:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Angry

Did any of you ever go through a stage where you were feeling angry that you couldn't be a normal drinker? I just wish I could drink normally, attend all functions and know when to stop.. To be honest, I still hate the fact that I needed to give up booze. I still think, if I try harder maybe I will be able to control myself. That being said, I have not drank in 9 days.. Thanks for listening to my pity party...
Joanne
Old 09-26-2006, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I loved going to friends house for nice dinners and wine and alot of the times I was o.k. and stopped because everyone else did or party was over. See that is the part that creeps up saying well, 80% of the time you were o.k. but boy oh! boy it is that 20%..
Joanne
Old 09-26-2006, 10:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Joanne...
If I could drink with no problems
I would drink.

Untreated alcoholism
is progressive
chronic and fatal
No exceptions.

I want to live in the joy of recovery.

Do you?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to feel that way. Not anymore. The thing that changed my mind was at an AA meeting a young 20 something newcomer but admittedly alcoholic man said he resented not being able to "party" anymore even though his was still in his 20s.

Another member responded with the usual AA drunkalog -- lost jobs, ruined relationships, legal and financial issues, etc. He finished by saying we wished to God he did not have to drink until he was 40 something to find out what the newcomer had learned at 20 years his junior.

Now that put everything in perspective for me and I no longer get angry or resentful about not being able to drink.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

I think alot of people would go through that stage. I've heard alot of people talk about the difference between YOUR mind and your ADDICTION mind. I think the anger is coming from your ADDICTION mind. I think its just another thing you have to overcome. I don't think that feeling will last forever!!!

Sorry I can't be more help, I just wanted you to share my thoughts and provide support if needed!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 04:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we've all gone through that stage and felt anger and remorse. I think it's a stage you have to go through. My favourite book about drinking is called "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp. It's a memoir of a young woman's love affair with alcohol and the pain involved in giving it up. It truly is like losing a friend.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, I did feel like this, like I was missing out and my life sucked because I couldn't drink.

I got over it, I can do anything I want, I just choose not to drink with it. The longer I stayed sober and made new sober friends I realized that life was as good, even better than sitting in a bar for 12 hours talking the same bs with the same people. Now I know when I am having fun.

Give it some time, its a huge thing to get sober, you may feel a little sad for a while but then your going to feel great and happy, and drink won't look so attractive.

Love, Rose
Old 09-27-2006, 06:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anna, I have that book and it is a very good book, I havnt read the whole thing, but I do agree it is like losing a best friend and I think I am also angry about not being able to drink normally- I often would think sometimes I can only drink a couple, but other times I can't and realized when I did only drink a couple it was cause that was all that was there or cause it was a family gathering and didnt want my family to see me drink a whole lot. I have been having troubles quiting I have to admit , I did good for awhile when I went 33 or 34 days and once I relapsed the first time it seems like I will go a few days maybe 3-8 days and then I will slip again and drink, any suggestions and I am also taking campral.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody, as long as I keep things real and keep addressing those little voice I will be fine. I can and will do this... for me foremost and my family..
I will get that book.. I just got the book Co-dependant no more and will start reading that.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

for me, anger is nothing but fear.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

yes, I too got angry about not being able to drink again.. I was sad and felt like I had lost my best friend. But, as time went on I got MORE angry that my life and my feelings and my anger and the concept of my best friend revolved around a stupid ounce or 12 of a dumb butt liquid substance instead of myself, my loved ones and my dreams.

Hope you're feeling better about the good choice you made for yourself. Congrats on your 11 days!