Notices

I am starting to think about AA meetings

Old 09-26-2006, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am starting to think about AA meetings

HI!!

I have previously attended meetings and didn't feel like I fit in. The only reason I didn't feel like I fit in is because I am not a daily drinker and most members seemed to be. I am more like a binge drinker. So I am worried about long term and not tomorrow. I need to keep reminding myself why I quit but I just don't know if meetings will help me. Opinions anyone?
Joanne
Old 09-26-2006, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think being a daily drinker or binge drinker at the end is the same thing, only different patterns of behavior but the same problem. So if AA helps you out regardless of your patterns of drinking go to AA...

Regarding about being worried about long term, you should be worried about everyday because the first drink you take will unleash "the beast" and you won't stop so... it's not long term, just think about today... long term is too much to think about... cheers!
Old 09-26-2006, 10:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you want to remind yourself why you choose to be sober..
listen to the drinkers who progressed from social to binge to daily.

You will find them in meetings.
You will also see them under bridges
and on park benches.

The latter locations are for those who did not see
AA as a solution.

Think of AA meetings as classrooms for sobriety.
The more you attend the quicker you learn.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The thing about AA is that there is only one thing that is required. You don't have to make any set amount of money, you do not have to drink a set amount of alcohol. You are only expected to have a dersire to stop. In the meetings alot of people talk, at first you may not identify with them. Keep in mind there are many people not talking, if you go enough they will and you will, before you know it, find someone you can idetify with.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Just so you hear both sides of the story...

I don't go to meetings, I have actually never been to a meeting. I have nothing against them I just don't think they're for me. If you're thinking about it though whats the worst that can happen - you may aswell go along to one and seewhat it is like if you're interested.

I have heard wonderful things about AA so many memebers here swear by it.

I just wanted you to know that there are also people who survive without meetings incase you were scared or unsure!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Laurience

I was also a binge drinker, I go to meetings because I don't want to drink, doesn't matter to me or anyone else how often I drank.

I used to think I didn't belong there either, I thought no-one believed I was an alcoholic (ego problem) and because I didn't drink daily then I didn't really have a problem. The longer I stayed sober and went to meetings I knew I had earned my seat.

Doesn't matter how, or how long you drank for, its the feelings and thoughts you have that lead you to pick up a drink, and that I think everyone can relate to.

I too thought about long term and that is fine, but there may come a day when you really want to drink and "just not today" is priceless to get you through it.

Love, Rose
Old 09-27-2006, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

my sponsor was only a weekend drinking, i found him in AA, hes been sober for 21 years. seems to help him.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The 12 Steps are a program for change. Lots of others use the steps to recover from over eating, grief, quit cigarettes and learning how to make good choices for yourself instead of bad ones.. including loving people who are bad for you. So, I don't see where it matters how much you drink. I only see how much it matters how much you want to change.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

I was not a daily drinker, and surprsingly enough, I hear that ALOT in AA meetings, along with people who were. I can't honestly say I had the desire to stop drinking when I got there either. I just went... listened, identified, and began to learn that it's not how much I drink, when I drink, or what I drink.. it's what happens to me, how I feel, and that I always drank for effect... I never drank ONE glass of anything just because I was thirsty or something.

You stated you're worried about long-term and that's a great point I can definately identify with. Although I know I can only stay away from that first sucker drink today, I know that I can get sober... but it's the staying sober that's the tricky part. Give it a shot... do baby steps. Introduce yourself to some women. The friendships I've made in AA, are like footprints on my heart and soul. It's given me so much more than I ever could have predicted.

Anna