Notices

DUIs or DWIs

Old 09-23-2006, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DUIs or DWIs

I've been lurking for a long time. I have my own life to figure out but I need to say:

When will people realize that driving while drunk or high will not only influence their lives but others?

So, you need to get home? Take a frickin cab and if you can't afford a cab you should've stayed home in the first place.

I hate self-centred people.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree with you AWR. I have never driven drunk but my ex was caught and charged repeatedly. Thank God he never hit or killed anyone. I can't tell you how much money he wasted on lawyers and trying to get "off" and he never did. Just before we split, he lost his licence for 3 years.

What I will say about it, though, is that I don't think he made any sort of rational decision because he was drunk. He was drunk. He thought he could drive. If he was in any way thinking, he may have taken a cab or stayed over where ever he was. In his mind, though, he thought he was fine and his idiotic friends let him get in his car and drive as drunk as he was because they were drunk too.

Whether consciously or not, I would always make sure I was not going to be driving or need to be driving BEFORE I started drinking. ie/ I would never drive to a bar or to a party where I knew I'd be drinking.

CS
Old 09-23-2006, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

In my experience, good judgement is one of the first things to go away.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR..

Blessomgs
Old 09-23-2006, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi AlbertaWildRose,

I'm glad you found us.

We are a non-judgemental group of people, who help each other and help ourselves through this journey we are on together.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your responses.

I'm sorry if I came across as harsh, Anna. I was in a mood and didn't choose the best way to get my message across.

When I was younger, I used to do the very thing I complained about. Only by the grace of God ...

Anyway, I wanted to say I love this site as I can relate to so many people here.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR

Thing that used to get to me was the way the ground would wobble late at night when I was trying to get home. Much as I told the planet to stay still behave and stop abusing itself it never worked.

Kevin
Old 09-23-2006, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

CS, you're right. He probably didn't plan ahead on how to get home. I used to do that too when I was younger. I'm still an active drinker but I make plans ahead on how to get home. Having said that, I've been very fortunate that my plans have worked.

Kevin, you made me laugh out loud at your post. Haha, I can so relate. I wish I could say those days are past but I'm still stuck in the same rut.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

i was always guilty of dui's and dwi's--dialing under the influence and dialing while while intoxicated--lol--sorry just being silly
Old 09-24-2006, 10:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have had 3 DWI's total in my life and noone ever plans on this happening, it is just that your judgement goes out the window and you think you are ok to drive. No one says ok I am going to get drunk and go out a get a DWI- think about it.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Drinking and poor judgement go hand in hand. I did many things drunk I would never do sober.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with the topic starter. But I always take my bike when I'm short of money and wanna go somewhere and drink.

Marte
Old 09-24-2006, 02:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenTea
In my experience, good judgement is one of the first things to go away.

Let us make no mistake about this. This has nothing to do with weighing not driving drunk against driving drunk and deciding that driving drunk is ok. Drunks know they are drunk when they get in their cars. We addicts are extremely selfish. The thought of having to be inconvienienced by having to get a cab and leave our cars overnight and then come back in the morning to get it is far more than we want to do. And lets face it....we arent staying home when there is a good time to be had by going out. So we say to ourselves..."Im ok to drive" or "I only live a few blocks away" or "I wont get caught". It does, however,....now that I am sober,.....seem to be pathetic how much damage we see driving drunk does and still there are people who do it. People that just dont care.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kami

DUIs

I am new to this site. I just started attending Al-Anon meetings a month ago. While I am aware I have a lot to learn, but I do know something about DUIs. My husband is currently serving jail time for a DUI conviction. He is fortunate he hasn't killed himself or someone else. He drinks so much, so often, I think he is in a blackout a good portion of the time. Usually, it can be really hard to tell. In the past, he has gotten stopped for a taillight being out, and the officier let him go with a ticket because he couldn't even tell that he was drunk when he was actually so wasted he couldn't walk across a room, yet he could somehow hold a coherent conversation and still even drive OK. Other times, it is obvious enough that it's no surprise he got his current DUI. I've read it described as a "cunning and baffling" disease and I can relate to that. It is obvious to me that his drinking is routinely endangering his health, relationships, work, freedom, sanity and life.
Of course, getting DUIs make no sense. To me, asking myself how he can risk his life and that of others by driving drunk is not much different than asking myself how he can do any crazy behaviors while drunk or asking myself why I do the many crazy things I've done because of the alcoholic in my life.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

AlbertaWildRose,

Taking a cab is the right thing to do when someone has been drinking or using drugs. This comes from my rational, sober mind. I have something very scary to share. I have been arrested for DWI 3 times. The last case is pending. I do not remember getting into the car and putting the key in the ignition during any of the 3 incidents. I am not sure how I managed to avoid hurting someone else or myself. If I had been in control of my drinking (i.e. not blacked out), I'm sure I would have made the right decision. I have done so many times in the past. However, my drinking episodes are unpredictable. Some nights, I drink and recall everything. Other nights, I black out and do not realize what I did for hours until I talked to friends the next day. I should have sought help after the first time I ever blacked out, but I was arrogant and I did not want to stop drinking. Now, I do want to stop. I have not had a drink in two weeks. I hope to continue this trend.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
GURUJAKE

Welcome KamiKae - very insightful first contribution. Keep sharing!
Old 10-01-2006, 09:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BSPGirl
I agree with the topic starter. But I always take my bike when I'm short of money and wanna go somewhere and drink.

Marte

I actually know someone in a near by, but still small, town who got a DUI while riding his bike in the downtown area...