Notices

Day 4.. hanging in and recipes anyone

Old 09-21-2006, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4.. hanging in and recipes anyone

HI! Everybody,
First and foremost, thank you all so much for helping me get through these rough times. I always really look forward to hoping on the site and reading all your posts. I am doing o.k. and keeping very busy. Still have an empty feeling in the pit of my stomach and cravings but I am gonna keep strong. I have a big interest in cooking however am only a beginner cook. I think I will go full swing and through my energy in that direction. Does anyone like cooking or would like to share recipes?
Joanne
Old 09-21-2006, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

That is exactly what I have done. I started cooking because it gave me something to occupy my mind, something to work on, and something I could improve (I was pretty bad before!!!)

I am the cook now at home - I always make little cakes and muffins for our friends and there's usually dinner on at our house because we always have something different!

On Monday I'll bring in my recepie book and I'll send you some of my favourite things to cook - I love love love cooking! This will be a fun thread!!!

Old 09-21-2006, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cool

Dreamz..Do you like to try all kinds of stuff?? What is your favourite kind of food? Mine is Japanese. That is another addiction that I have.. hahaha
Joanne
Old 09-21-2006, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I read your post

First thing I though of is I love to have friends over or go to friends and drink some wine and have a nice meal. uuuggghhhhhh....
Old 09-21-2006, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey I put my energy into cooking when I got clean...i will get you some recipes to ya...
Old 09-21-2006, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks

Cool, thank you...
Joanne
Old 09-21-2006, 07:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Originally Posted by laurience
Dreamz..Do you like to try all kinds of stuff?? What is your favourite kind of food? Mine is Japanese. That is another addiction that I have.. hahaha
I love trying new stuff - I haven't had alot of Japanese although me and me sister do hang out alot at sushi train - I love chicken teryarki - YUMM!!!

Originally Posted by laurience
First thing I though of is I love to have friends over or go to friends and drink some wine and have a nice meal. uuuggghhhhhh....
Sorry If i was provoking thoughts - didn't mean it, but if you cut the wine out of that it still is a great night. I spend alot of times at my friends house - brothers that still live with their parents and are an Italian family, and I'm loving italian food right now!!!

I have never made much Italian food so I think that will be the next think I conquer.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dreamz

Don't be sorry... Any conversation I have right now reminds me of drinking.. lol.. Anxious to share recipes.. take good care..
Old 09-21-2006, 08:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love, love, love to cook and to entertain. Would love to share recipes. One of the very best sites I've found is: AllRecipes.com

The reviews are great because you can see what people thought about the recipe and how they may have changed it to make it better, etc..
Old 09-21-2006, 08:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

love all recipes.com

I frequently go to that site... Well I think tomorrow night I will post a few of my favourites and we can all share. Awesome, thanks for helping me keep my mind preoccupied. I dream of being an amazing cook... I looovvvee food..
haha
Joanne
Old 09-21-2006, 08:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also like all recipes because the recipe adjusts itself to how many people your cooking for by a click of a button. Pretty cool and yeah those reviews by the people that tried the recipes are great help.
Joanne
Old 09-21-2006, 08:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Yeah I like that site too!!! Whats your speciality? I make pretty good lamingtons!!! I also make a killer roast dinner - and my sister makes AMAZING mouth watering just enough flavour Spare RIBS!!! Man I'm starving just thinking about them!!!

Old 09-21-2006, 08:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dreamz, you can't be posting beautiful mouth watering ribs like that.. lol... yumm.. I always do that, I watch the food network channel all the time and then I am starved. haha.. I am surprised that I am not overweight. As for specialty, hmmm.. Well, I am still a beginner but I have a really good pork tenderloin recipe and couscous, stir-fry, some really good japanese recipes..I always struggle with roasts.. I recently tried slow cooking one and it turned out o.k. so I would appreciate any help. What are lamingtons?
Joanne
Old 09-21-2006, 08:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Oh lamingtons are this Aussie cake/slice kinda thing. Very yum.

Its like a mini square sponge cake, covered in a choclate sauce coating with coconut around the outside - I make them with jam and cream in the middle.

Lamingtons were named for Baron Lamington, Governor of Queensland in the late 1800's to early 1900's. Originally slang for the homburg hat which was worn by the baron, the lamington became known as a small square of sponge cake that was carefully covered with chocolate icing and lovingly sprinkled with dessicated coconut
Old 09-21-2006, 09:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I used allrecipes for chicken and dumplings last night and it was even a hit with my pickiest eater. I love to try out new things. I have had some things go in the disposal but all in all..it's been fun.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Excellent broccoli dip..

3 cups broccoli fleurettes (chopped finely)

1 red pepper (chopped finely)

1 small onion (chopped finely)

2 cups cheddar cheese (grated)

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

1 cup mayo

1 cup sour cream

pepper (to taste)

Mix all ingredients together, reserving 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top of the dip. Pour mixture into an oven-proof dish. Sprinkle top with remaining parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 F oven for about 25 minutes. Serve hot with tortilla chips. Please note that the smaller the pieces of broccoli the better the results.

Enjoy!!!
Joanne
Old 09-23-2006, 12:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just want to say that the above recipe is EXTREMELY GOOD. I always get compliments when I make this and it disappears in no time. If anyone decides to try it, let me know what you think.
Joanne
Old 09-23-2006, 04:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
To Life!

A different spaghetti and clam sause dinner.

Ingredients:

1 TBSP butter
1 med zucchini cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2-3 large cloves garlic minced
1 large tomato diced
1/4 tsp dried oregano
2 cans clams drained, broth reserved, (or equivalent fresh clams, chopped.)
Water
2 TBSP Argo Corn Starch
2 chicken bouillon cubes
8 oz linguine
1/2 Cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Melt margarine on medium high heat
Add zucchini and garlic; stir for 2 minutes
Add tomato and oregano. Stir for 2 minutes
Combine clam broth and water to make 1 3/4 cups
Stir in corn starch until smooth
Add to skillet with bouillon and clams
Bring to boil; stir constantly for one minute
Toss with linguine and Parmesan cheese.

ENJOY!

Shalom!
Old 09-23-2006, 04:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

cooking is a big trigger for me too! i always had a glass of wine while cooking a nice dinner. good news is the cravings start to go away a bit the more you cook...

anyhow, i make a lot of pasta--bolognese, wine clam, etc. also have a killer osso buco recipe if you're in for italian. here's a recipe that i haven't tried yet, but a friend made it for us and it was absolutely wonderful--fine restaurant quality. good luck!

Oven-Braised Salmon or
Halibut Steaks

2 pounds salmon, halibut, swordfish, or other fish steaks, about 1 inch thick (I used fillets and they worked fine)

a little flour for dredging the fish

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

3 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced

1 garlic clove, minced

1 or 2 bay leaves

1 teaspoon salt or more to taste

½ teaspoon sweet paprika

juice of ½ lemon

Lightly dredge the fish steaks in a little flour, shaking them to remove excess. In a pan over medium-high heat, fry the steaks in 2 tablespoons of the oil just long enough to brown them, 2 or 3 minutes on each side. They will not be cooked through. Transfer the steaks to an oven dish that will hold them in one layer. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, and salt to the pan in which the fish cooked, together with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Stir to mix with the oil and cook, covered, over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft and golden brown – about 10 to 15 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, remove the bay leaves and stir in the paprika and lemon juice. Mix well and return to the heat just long enough to warm up the lemon juice.
Distribute the onion mixture over the top of the fish steaks, covering them as much as possible. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the steaks are thoroughly cooked. Makes 8 servings

Nutritional Data, per portion

Calories 209 Carbohydrate 7g Saturated Fat 2g
Protein 19g Sodium 318mg Monosaturated Fat 6g
Fat 11g Cholesterol 51mg
Old 09-23-2006, 07:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

o.k. I am loving this post. I will definetly try your recipes... Thanks for sharing.. Now I am hungry, the recipes sound sooo good. lol
Joanne