Notices

To say or not to say

Old 09-20-2006, 09:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To say or not to say

I am definetely not Shakespear.. hahah.. Well I made my decision to never drink again. This is day 3. I am just still reluctant to talk about it to my good friends and I wonder why? Is it because when I say something there will be no turning back (being exposed). Some of my friends know that I struggled with alcohol in the past after seeing how drunk and stupid I was. I feel so out of sorts the last few days and on edge. Anxious to be able to relax a little.

The kids are sleeping so I feel that I should go for a nap but I am so on edge. The coffee I drank doesn't help. Just thinking out loud however would appreciate your suggestions or if you told others etc..
Joanne
Old 09-20-2006, 09:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I learned fairly early in recovery that for me to say I'm never drinking again was to set myself up to fall somewhere down the line, so.......................instead, each morning when I arose, I would say "I am just NOT DRINKING TODAY."

You know that One Day At A Time has worked pretty well now for over 25 years. I was able to tell friends early on "I'm not drinking today" or "I'm having a no alcohol day". Even my friends that were quite obviously also alcoholic seemed to be able to understand that one and wouldn't 'nag' or 'push' at me to have a drink.

Just a 'little' tool that has worked for myself and countless others.

"NEVER" can be so overwhelming. "JUST FOR TODAY" is and was a more realistic goal for this alkie.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 09-20-2006, 09:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi laurience! Welcome to SR! Yes, I told everybody, co-workers, friends and family. BUT that is me. I am an open right out there person. Only you can decide to what extent you want others to know. Family, I believe is important and close friends.They will be support for you. Acquaintances and co-workers, maybe not. Use your discretion. If you think you need to tell someone your an alcoholic get to a meeting there are plenty people there that you can tell!! :-)

Best wishes!!
Star
Old 09-20-2006, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Joanne,

I have told my friends here and my children. No one else. At least, not yet. It simply hasn't come up. Maybe subconsciously I'm afraid to tell too. I mean, I'm not afraid to say I have quit drinking, but might say for health reasons or in tribute to my brother, who died of alcoholism. I still have trouble saying that I am in recovery or that I am a recovering alcoholic.