Notices

Advice needed

Old 09-17-2006, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice needed

Hello,

I've been lurking in this forum for over a year now, reading posts and trying to relate them to myself to give me the insperation to quit drinking.

I'm 34, male, from the UK. Virtually every single day for the past 8 years I have had 4-5 cans of lager mid afternoon (70 units / week max), I do not drink in the evenings (or mornings), nor do i feel the urge to do so - I work from home and over the past 2 years drinking has now started to worry me. I do not wish to label myself as an alcholic, addict or whatever, I feel this would make me feel even worse !

I am educated & successful with my own business, I have a loving family, wife, children, dream home, dream car, but am depressed. From the outside my life looks perfect and I seem normal, however from my viewpoint my life is total crap and i'm utterly fed up with it. I have GAD, I have depression, I hate leaving my house because i'm so self conscious, I wake up in the morning sweating, shaking and worrying about what the day will bring & I do not have a single friend to talk to about it - I can see that my anxiety is totally ridiculous, but I can't get rid of it - I am now thinking that perhaps alcohol is to blame.

I'm basically a nervous wreck, the only thing I know how to do is work. Work is my life, I strive to make more & more money, which I somehow manage to do quite successfully.

What would you all suggest ?, I'm not keen on AA, I'm not of a religious disposition. Shoud I just quit drinking full stop an see how it goes ? - I've never done it before so I am very nervous.

Many thanks in advance for any replies - It took me a whole year to muster up the courage to post this !
Old 09-17-2006, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

((Anxiety)) I'm so happy you are here. There are so many things I'd like to share with you about my alcoholism, depression, and recovery. It wouldn't probably take all day.

I have a degree, a job, family, house etc. But I also had a drinking problem. For you to recognize that you may want to stop, before you have lost everything is a huge step.

You don't have to say you are an alcoholic. That is for only you to decide. It was also part of getting honest with myself. I didn't care for it, so I did something about it.

There are lots of recovery programs out there. Drinking was but one thing I needed to change about my life. I didn't know how to function in the world without it. I didn't think I would ever laugh again, once I stopped drinking. But I do, more then ever. I had to learn how to handle all of my emotions without drowning them.

It has taken a lot of hard work and dedication, but I continue to do it one day at a time.

Best of luck to you. May you find peace in you heart.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is possible that the continuous drinking is causing you anxiety. And, stopping drinking may be the solution to that problem. It would be a great idea to quit and see how your life improves. It's always a good idea to check with a dr before you quit, because it can possibly be dangerous. Take small steps and don't drink today. Don't focus on tomorrow or forever because it can be overwhelming. What worked for me was changing my routines and patterns of daily life. Since you drink mid-afternoon, why not try going to a gym, taking a long walk and a break from work, take a course, do anything that takes your mind off those hours you spent drinking.

In my case, the depression/anxiety was there long before I began drinking and for me, drinking was an effort to keep myself afloat. When I finally got treatment and medication for depression, I was able to stop drinking. The depression is not usually a problem now and the anxiety is usually manageable.

I wish you well.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Welcome to SR Anxiety,.... im glad you started to post...! Im sure you WILL find lots of help n advice about yourself, and alchol, here, as many will beable to relate to you...! the alcholisum forums are excellent, ...and some great folk too give you that advice your seeking... Im sure the others are hanging around ....and wont be far away....
Old 09-17-2006, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm no doctor but the reason I quit drinking is because of anxiety and depression. It's a classic example of why everyone wants to quit drinking. If we continued to be happy I think most of us would still be guzzling our booze.

I get anxious when I cross my own inner sense of right and wrong. No one wants to think of or be thought of as a drunk. Maybe your anxiety is telling you that the booze is drinking YOU instead of you drinking it????