Notices

Should I do research??

Old 09-15-2006, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should I do research??

Well I know eventually I should, but I have a spouse who thinks because he has sat through training for his job on addiction that he knows about my disease. I'm an alcoholic and an addict and while he understands that it is a disease there is so much he doesn't understand. I cannot force him to go to alanon or narcanon but if I read more about it..is it possible that I could gently pass him information. Seriously I am eligible for alanon as my father is an active alcoholic himself and my birthfather (I was adopted as a toddler) was an addict an an alcoholic and died of his disease.

I don't want to take from my recover and working my AA/NA steps and working my program, but I do wish to help my husband if I can. His recovery is not my responsiblity, but I am hoping I can help him understand my disease. I know I can't force it, but what do others do?
Old 09-15-2006, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Latte,

Thanks for your post to my other thread!

I think you should learn all you can, as often training in a field is not not based on the latest information. And it is often focused toward getting the trainee to do a particular job, not neccessarly fully understand the subject. Just look at what the "experts" say about nutrition.

I find the more I learn, the better it helps me stay away from alcohol. Yes, I have had relapses, and may again, but knowing what is happening to me, and what I am doing to myself, is a definite help.

I have yet to get the "under the influence" book (gotta figure out how to get it without wife knowing...long story) But someone quoted it in a forum here, and that was some good stuff.

Keep up your programs, and keep learning, know the enemy!

Take Care,
S
Old 09-15-2006, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I take care of myself. My husband did not want to be involved in getting any help for himself. He still doesn't.