SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Am I still sober?? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/103254-am-i-still-sober.html)

Latte 09-14-2006 10:16 PM

Am I still sober??

I have a medical condition that needs treatment with pain medication (I posted a little about this in the NA) and I can only take narcotics. I cannot take any COXII or NSAIDS (motrin etc.,).

I am taking the medicine as perscribed and I think I found one that works without the "high" etc. and I am working at the honesty. I am supposed to take them as directed. The Dr. has demanded that I do that until my surgery at the end of the month. Her and I came to an understanding that during the day when my husband was not home and I was to care for the children during the day that I could not take the medication. DH and I agreed that taking them at night was reasonable.

So if I am taking them as perscribed and being honest with myself, am I still sober? I feel okay about it, but still scared.

Nevyn 09-14-2006 10:18 PM

Yes, if you are doing as prescribed, you are sober. WTG. :banana:

Dreamz 09-14-2006 10:24 PM

Yeah - if you're following the rules then yes you're sober!!!

Well Done too!!!

Latte 09-14-2006 10:43 PM

I don't keep the whole bottle either. DH takes them with him. He leaves me with one for during the day if things get really bad. I can go next door to my friends house for a few hours and sit on her couch. There I have a responsible adult and someone to watch out for me.

We put up her swing set for her last weekend. She loves us. :c031:

CarolD 09-15-2006 02:36 AM

You certainly are sober!
Congratulations!!
:c031:

Bleeding Deacon 09-15-2006 03:28 AM

I had a knee replacement surgury in 2002. One of the most painful things I've ever experienced. Narcotics were essential for healing. They felt different when I was in such terrible pain than when using things addictivly. They weren't any fun at all. My wife was kind enough to dole them out as prescribed and scolded me twice when I stubbornly tried to go off them prematurely. I learned the hard way that was unwise. AA's brought meetings to my house several times during the months I was unable to do anything and although at the time I didn't seem get much out of them they were essential to my healing and helped me stay close to my HP when I was feeling quite distant.

I continued to stay close to the steps and the fellowship and followed the advice of other sober people throughout that ordeal. They thought for me when I was unable to think for myself. God gives me opportunities to heal with the help of those on recovery paths that surround me. It is my job to recognize those people, trust them, and go with them. This gives me the strength to pull me through the rough times and in turn to be of help to others when I am strong again.

Anna 09-15-2006 04:44 AM

You should be proud of how responsible you are acting.