Notices

Trying to Quit Methadone: Questions

Old 09-14-2006, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to Quit Methadone: Questions

My name is Ted, and I'm an alcoholic and an addict. This is my first post as an addict requesting advice. I thank you in advance for your help.

Three years ago, I beat the alcohol for good. That was the hardest thing I've ever done. In a way, it was harder than Marine Corps boot camp. But I got through it, cold turkey. I was feeling better and happy within 6 days of quitting. I had been drinking heavily for five years. AA and my faith got me through, as well as a helpful anti-depressant.

Then there came the pills a few months after the alcohol. I had used pain pills in the past to get past hangovers. Well, I started using them to face the day. That got out of hand, and before seeking help I was taking 30 pills a day, 10mg hydrocodones. My life was pretty much in shambles, but I still had my wife and newborn child, and my career as a lawyer was not yet in mortal peril. I went to a methadone clinic for help.

I've been on the methadone for over 2 years now. It allowed me to straighten my life out, and become a good father and husband. But methadone has its own problems, and does not cure the addict, it only acts a crutch to help the addict appear to lead a normal life.

But the methadone disgusts my family and my wife, and she will not tolerate it any longer. I quit the methadone cold turkey about 5 days ago, and I'm feeling horrible. All the withdrawal symptoms of opiates are apparent. Unlike the pills, which I could quit from time to time in about three days, this is different.

Does anyone know how long it could take to shake these withdrawals, especially for a person who usually gets through these types of things rather quickly? I know I have other healing needed, and I have been building my support group--family, narcotics anonymous, friends, and therapy. But these withdrawals are hell. The worst is the anxiety, everything else I can handle.

Does anyone know when I might hit the "downhill" phase and feel more able to cope with these feelings? I've always been quick to recover from individual drugs, but my research shows that methadone withdrawals can be lengthy.

Thank you all for your help. It feels good to be here.

Ted.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Ted, and Welcome to SR!!

My story sounds almost the same as yours! I started taking hydrocodone, about 20 a day. And then I tried methadone! That was it, I was in love. I took methadone for about 4 yrs. I was taking 240 mgs a day. It was pure hell toward the end. It literally got to the point where I couldn't imagine my life with or without the methadone, but without it... I was VERY, VERY sick. I went to a medical detox where I stayed for 10 days. They gave me medicine to help me through the worst of the withdrawals. But that was not the end. I still felt pretty lousy when I got out of the detox. My doctor told me that because methadone is synthetic, your body (liver, bones, etc.) stores it for a long time. He told me that I could actually feel bad for up to 6 mos. Thank goodness that was not the case for me, though. After I got out of detox, the worst part was over. For about the first month, I just didn't have any energy. It took everything that I had to get up in the morning.

Methadone detox is not fun! How much were you taking? And quitting cold turkey is very dangerous!

What kind of symptoms are you having right now?

Alissa
Old 09-14-2006, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Alissa

Alissa, What a quick reply! Can't tell you how much I appreciate that. Thank you for your warm welcome.

I was taking 65mgs per day (started at 100, but went down gradually over a few months about a year ago). But let me be honest about something. In my county they allow "take-homes" as long as you prove you are "clean" for a period of time. After about 1.5 years, I built up to 6 take-homes per week. So I go in and dose on Friday, and get 6 take-homes to take the rest of the week until the next Friday.

Well, here's what evolved over time, starting about six months ago. I would dose on Friday, then dose again Friday night for fun. Then I would dose once every day following (around 8-9pm). Obviously, I couldn't dose on Thursday, because I'd already taken all my doses. So I'd grin and bear it until Friday, when I'd dose again and get my take homes. Well you can probably guess what started happening. I started eating up my take-homes more quickly. I started running out on Wednesday, then I'd run out by Tuesday, etc. Each time I did that, it would be harder and harder to wait until Friday.

Well, this week, like the last few weeks, I blew through all my take homes by Saturday night (that's right, I got my six take-homes on Friday, and used them all by the next night following--3 on Friday, 3 on Saturday, and then nothing on Sunday). Now here I am, having gone Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, and today without anything. I can start the process all over again tomorrow if I want, but I'm going to try and stop. I'm already in withdrawals, and hating it, but i'm pretty tough and think I might be able to stick this out, depending on how long.

But do you think it might be a better idea to just tell the clinic what I've been up to and request a medically safe withdrawal dosing schedule? I'm a little torn between the two.

Here are my symptoms right now: Gut-wrenching anxiety, depression (but still hopeful), bowel issues, no nausea as of yet; Runny nose, hot and cold feelings (i.e. sweats and shivers), and fatigue and lack of motivation to do just about anything (except care for my child, which I would do no matter how bad I felt). AND constant thoughts about possibly dosing again tomorrow, which I really do not want to do.

Thank you for your help, and God bless.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Have a look down in the substance abuse forum...!

I was also on methadone for a long time so i can understand how you feel, and so will many others...! So your not alone honey... WE do understand...!

Welcome to SR...
Old 09-15-2006, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

everyones gonna hate me for saying this-but mabye you could look into burenorphine...it is SOOOOOO much easier to get off of...seriously..just get down to 30 mg of m-done,then switch,and come down over1-3 months.....
it is much easier..
t.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

sorry i didnt read you were already off it....there are a few things that could help..bupe being the best,,,i dunno...better nothing,though...srry for that previous post!
t/.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try to find a doctor and talk to him about Suboxone. W/D from methadone can last for weeks and you can have cravings for years unless you cleans them out of your system. This is some bad stuff and you can't take anything lesser (like other pain meds) because the methadone makes them not work and you could overdose. I read all of this today because my AH is on day 4 of cold turkey from 30mg a day. I wish you the best! We are trying an all natural approach. Maybe this will help him.

GP