SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Why do I want a drink? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/103055-why-do-i-want-drink.html)

OnceNice 09-12-2006 09:11 AM

Why do I want a drink?

Today is day 20.

Anyone know why still want a drink.

I think I do. I feel like crap and I want to forget and I want to be able to control myself. I'm a failure at everything. Its not even a living thing. Its just a liquid. Why do I want to control it.

I have to admit. I like the taste of my ole friend MillerLite.

I've no control

Even though I haven't had a drink in 20 days. Lets just say I have. CAuse its gonna happen.

I hate me.

artboy 09-12-2006 09:21 AM

wow..ease up....I know exactly what ur feeling:beerchug:

girlindc 09-12-2006 09:23 AM

i'm only on day 9, and i'm thinking about it every day still too.

but then i just think to myself. i just can't, i just can't.

before, i would let my legs walk to the liquor store/bar/whatever, now, i MAKE them walk to a meeting instead. it helps a bit.

just try to keep yourself busy as to keep your mind off it. trust, i know it's hard. good luck to you. don't give up.

RubyT 09-12-2006 09:25 AM

I don't know, Rose. I'm still new at this myself. Could be because we're addicted?? My Dad hasn't had a cigarette in 18 years but he still wants one. I guess we're always gonna want the Miller Lite, we'll just have to choose not to have one (or in my case....well A CASE!)

igfan 09-12-2006 09:33 AM

it's your disease......the obsession to drink does not go away over night (believe me). You're setting yourself up to fail IMO......instead of saying you're going to fail, why don't you try saying "I'M NOT GOING TO FAIL". Wish i had more to give you than that, but i still struggle too with the compulsion to use, but i tell myself "Not today......i will not use today"

Try it, what can it hurt?

artboy 09-12-2006 09:43 AM

That nailed it igfan

NEEDTOBESOBER 09-12-2006 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by OnceNice
Today is day 20.

I think I do. I feel like crap and I want to forget and I want to be able to control myself. I'm a failure at everything. Its not even a living thing. Its just a liquid. Why do I want to control it.

I have to admit. I like the taste of my ole friend MillerLite.

I've no control

Even though I haven't had a drink in 20 days. Lets just say I have. CAuse its gonna happen.

I hate me.

I understand my old friend is Budweiser and I understand if you become weak and drink cause it has happened to me- this disease stinks!:uzi2:

NEEDTOBESOBER 09-12-2006 09:59 AM

feel good when drinking

Anyone experience the feeling of feeling more confident and better, no depression, no anxiety, no stress when drinking- I think that is why people get to where they have the mental problem of not drinking cause when you quit all those other feelings of low self esteem, depreession, anger , stress and all the bad feelings you have about yourself come out and we don't know how to deal with real life- I guess.

NEEDTOBESOBER 09-12-2006 10:03 AM

OnceNice, I sent you a PM/

OnceNice 09-12-2006 10:16 AM

That is a great quesion Needtobesober. About when do you start not feeling so much. When do you not have your emotions on your sleeve.

Ngokpa 09-12-2006 10:34 AM

Alcoholism really is a disease. We didn't get it on purpose. But if we want we can give ourselves a really hard time about it so that we feel crummy and then find an excuse to drink. But we don't have to.

Living with the desire isn't easy, but it comes with the territory, though it eases up over time. Part of it is physical, and part of it is because alcohol fulfilled so many of our needs, or at least seemed to. Learning to live a different way means gradually getting better at it, so that we have new ways to feel good that don't give us hangovers in the morning.

One day at a time!

NEEDTOBESOBER 09-12-2006 10:39 AM

so how do we get past feeling all these emotions and not drinking and I know they say it takes time but I dont know if I can ever get to that place where I dont go overboard w/ my emotions- any one know?

Steve58 09-12-2006 10:39 AM

Hang in there and keep busy, drink lots of fluids, try to involve yourself in a project that requires you to be sober. This is a very critical time for you, to retrain yourself into other behavior patterns.

Come here and talk to us as much as you want. We're all in this together, I'm just over a week, and the beast is already starting to haunt me.

Take Care!

Love,
S

OnceNice 09-12-2006 10:47 AM

What if you have other problems along with alchohol., like bipolar, or depression or anxiety attacks and stuff. How do you know what to handle.
Food has become a great addiciton for me right now. I'm trying to eat the right things but I'm really eating too much, even of the right things.

That voice that nags and says forget it makes me sick.

miss communicat 09-12-2006 11:10 AM

Hi Rose,

20 days is really great. Did you know it takes 21 days to reprogram the brain? You want (or THINK you want) to drink Miller lite because you are alcoholic. Thats what you have done before now. You have built in neuronal pathways in your brain chemistry that respond to Miller Lite and trigger the "pleasure" response in your body.

Recovery is about not continuing to respond in the same old way.

Keep not drinking, and those old pathways get weaker. Soon, the obession may lift.

The reason AA works for me is because it offers me reminders on all levels, especially spiritually, of how to accept that I am alcoholic and what the solution to this is. For me, the solution has been to not drink, become open and willing to change, and to ask for help.

You, Rose, are doing all those things too. I am 9 months sober and am now just addressing the food issues. Don't hate yourself. Accept yourself as we do.

Big hugs!!!!

michski 09-12-2006 11:15 AM

20 Days! :You_Rock_

I know why you want one...CUZ YOU CAN!

I also know why you can't have one...CUZ YOU CAN'T!

This my darlin is what makes recovery feel cukoo!!

You're body is saying "I've been feeling this way for 22.78 and 1/2 years and NOW I DONT FEEL GOOD AND I NEED MY HIT AND I DON'T LIKE IT ONE FRIGGIN BIT. GIVE IT TO ME NOW!

Your mind is saying " Look azzhole, if you pick up again you truly WILL be the worthless piece of chit I always knew you were"

c'mon girl.. are you chantin the "this too will pass mantra?" :e044:

Keep up your sober days and the day WILL absolutely for sure without a doubt come that your mind and your body get on the same page!!! You will soar, because you were born to soar!

I heart ya and I want some cookies..:abct:

OnceNice 09-12-2006 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by michski
20 Days! :You_Rock_

I know why you want one...CUZ YOU CAN!

I also know why you can't have one...CUZ YOU CAN'T!

This my darlin is what makes recovery feel cukoo!!

:

Mischski that is the smartest think I think I've seen on here. To the point, logical an it doesn't belittle or judge me. And its true

And recovery does make me feel like I'm nuts. especilly now. I really don't feel like its getting easier. I'm trying to trust everyone here. It must get easier or some many people wouldn't be sober for so long right.:c031:

mygirls_mylife 09-12-2006 11:57 AM

I'm trying to trust everyone here. It must get easier or some many people wouldn't be sober for so long right.:c031:

EXACTLY!!!!!

I dont know what your religious affiliations are but, I pray. I dont think I would have gotten this far without God and prayer. He has simply lifted my desire to drink. You may think , oh well good for you. But I tell you, it's true. TRY IT!! Pray every day whether you feel like it, whether you mean it or not. Pray for your compulsion to be lifted. At night, thank Him for not drinking.

What's to lose??

I am so proud of you for not drinking. Think back to your first couple days and the miserableness and how badly you wnated to drink......yet you didn't. You have come a long way.

Like ifgan said, don't set yourself up for failure. Instead of saying,chalk me up for a beer; say No way. No how am I drinking a beer.

You really are doing great. Keep it up!

NEEDTOBESOBER 09-12-2006 03:35 PM

SORRY DONT AGREE TAKES A LOT LONGER THAN 21 DAYS TO REPROGRAM YOUR BRAIN THAT IS A CROCK OF ****!!! yOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!

michski 09-12-2006 03:39 PM

((( once nice ))) you will be thrice nice soon! You are working such a good program and you've changed immeasurably in the past 20 days. You sound like a woman who knows what you want and you know, there's no reason in the world you can't get it!. The most important thing is to remain sober.. because only time will make the rattling between your ears stop.

Better sugar than booze. Gaining weight is the price we pay for good health. You're just gonna have to join the rest of us out here fighting every morning to not pick up that doughnut! I have a cookie crisis every day!
I get fat
I buy new clothes
NO PROBLEM!

I get tired of being fat.. I want romance in my life.. I go on a diet, I loose weight and fit into my "skinny clothes" then I start all over again.

I so prefer my conflict over whether or not it's gonna be a doughnut this morning.. to that first thing in the morning shot of booze.

Let's face it it's all sugar....there are books written about it and the inbalances it causes for us. But as I already said, I'd rather battle sugar than a bottle of booze and you're going to feel the same way soon!!!