Notices

Topic: What's Going On With You Today?

Old 09-09-2006, 09:38 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi Doc. Cool on the counciling bit. What is ur day like there at the dorm? Do these kids go home after awhile?

Like u call ur wife "saint" i too think of my husband an "angel with the halo" Calm in my storm of life.

We went to a nearby Mexican resturant yesterday afternoon for chips and salsa and beef enchilada's. Yum.

How old is ur grandson? He must be a cutie... : )
Old 09-09-2006, 09:47 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Recovering perpetual kid...

Johnny is 17 months old... The weekends are usually pretty mellow here. We have a capacity for 1320 students on campus. After the students have been here 90 they can go home if they are local. The other students from around the nation go home for two weeks, twice a year during Winter and Summer Break. The ones who have a home to go to anyway... Karen should be Sainted for putting up with my crap for over 21 years! That's how she got the nickname...

Hang loose, Doc.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:12 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Not too much going on here on this lazy Saturday....it's misting outside so, its a good day to be inside watching good tv..... : ) Since im a kid at heart i l love old Disney movies.... on the Disney channel they are showing the movie THE RESCUERS.....about 2 mice...voices of Bob Newhart and Eva Gabor....its a 1976 movie animated....lol its soooo cute....lol

Then earlier i watched Fast Times at Ridgemount High...lol Judge Rinhold , Sean Penn....1982 movie i think....lol

I love reflecting back to those good old days.... : )

So Doc, do u just watch these kids all day or do u have activities set up for them...maybe group sessions....???

17 mos old...Christmas should be lots of fun for ur grandson this year. : )
Old 09-09-2006, 11:19 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I've been compared to Spicolli (Sean Penn) in Fast Times at Ridgemont High in the past... We hold a group meeting everyday in the dorm, and I deal with and counsel individual students as needed. It's usually never a dull moment around here. Lil' Johnny is the light of my life, and we have another Grandchild on the way expected in the Spring! Being a Grandparent is awesome...

Hang loose, Doc.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:25 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

We're not at the grandparent stages in life yet....just getting the kids out the house is pretty awesome in itself. My son lives in an Apt, near the U Of H campus..he's 22 and my daughter is 19 and in her second yr at the U of H. Also staying on campus in the dorms.

We've always incouraged the kids to finish school before anything else in their lives...so far that is their top priority. Me, i attended LSU for 2 yrs before dropping out to play and was in the early stages of my drinking career. My husband finished at LSU and most of his family did ...and i dont want to exclude my dad, but they all have been shining examples of what a college degree could do for them.

Anyway....me, i always wanted to be an at home mom and it was a wish that came true. Of course i didnt wish to be an alcoholic, but in my early childhood stages of physical abuse i had wished i was born a guy and could have become a priest. At least they could work very close to God up there on the alter. I suppose being an Alcoholic is doing the same kind of work. I am doing God's work here on earth. Doing His Will and not mine. : ) Hey im cool with that.

Well....i think i will go snooze for a little while...my eye lids r geting heavy on this lazy Saturday afternoon.

Doc...not too much time left at work before u head home on ur skate board. : ) I never had a skate board but i did roller skate at one time....they where the skates that u had to tighten with a key...lol

Anyone besides me remember those?
Old 09-09-2006, 02:32 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

has to be past tense im afraid..
daughter at ballet this morning and taken bob junior to a local country park, feeding the ducks..on the playground..

in the afternoon helped daughter jennifer with some homework...6 and first week back to school a mini project!. Had to do a poster on a famous person.. with some test.. She wanted a ballerina. So Anna Pavlova it was. You know the one who invented the cake! Anyway research done...poster and writeup tomorrow.

This evening Ive been working on my acceptance speech for berkshire massives father/husband of the year award.. ok just an incy bit ahead of myself!.. Was a nice sober day anyway.. Also no betting..mm heads clear.

just finishing off with some chocolate milk and some real chocolate....
Old 09-09-2006, 03:19 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Boy do i remember those days.... : ) both my kids Ken who is 22 and my daughter Jennifer 19 are 3 yrs apart...so when one began school i had the other one to carral. Id take her to the park or to an AA meeting with me. She brought her coloring books and colors and sit there till it was over....very content.

I love the park, esp with the Fall/Autumn season approaching. With the leaves changing...falling....of course many have allergies due to this...so they look forward to the first frost to kill eveything outside. : )

I jog at a nearby park at dusk and the tempts have dropped from the 90's to 74 right now in Houston...... im sure it will be lower when i get out later. I figured if i can make it around the track which is 2 miles in the heat then when its cooler i should be running instead of jogging...lol I dont know....will have to see how this body holds up at my age. : )

Anyway...it is good to be sober and clear headed. Its also nice when we can get thru the day peacefully....We cherish those days with all we have.

And then with a family, kids....for me, i am glad that mine are moving on with college and their lives because that is all i really hope from them that they make something useful of their young lives. To make a difference. But i can also say that im glad i had them when i did..even when i was drinking till i got sober. They are the ones that kept me busy and occupied so i didnt have time to think about drinking when times were rough. They too have seen the ups and downs of me in recovery and I thank God that their little lives so far have been spared from this disease. They may however experience relationship problems down the road but i hope they know that there are all sorts of help and knowledge available to them if they should ever need it.

Now to a lighter more healthier subject....FOOD... lol We had these HUGE round steaks on sale at our grocery store where i work for 1.37 a pound. It was a value package with 2 maybe 1 to 1 1/2 inch thick steaks....were talking like dinner plate if not larger size cutes of meat....Anyway...i put 2 of them in a pan on the burner this morning and it didnt take long for them to get tender. I just drained it off, added a can of beef gravy and a can of mushrooms to it....along with that i have a can of field peas....not sure what else to have with it....

Hey anyone can can bring something to add to this meal and ill serve it up around 6ish. We need bread...dessert....sodas....anything ud like. : )

Ill be waiting for u guys. : )
Old 09-09-2006, 04:24 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90
Bowling parties are fun for the kids. They love it....Do u think the other parents and ur sister will drink there at the party around the kids? If not, then ur in good safe company. The party is for the kids, so if u decide to pop in for a few minutes or for the whole party and have some cake,,,then id say its cool. If ur going because theres beer there...if i were in early recovery, i would go with thoughts rolling around my head. What do u think?
WELL, we ended up just dropping my son off at the party, I know my sister won't be drinking , but didnt know about the other parents, i figured it would be best for me not to stay, I didnt want to get tempted.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:45 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I crashed and burned pretty good skating home from work... My board went out from under me and I landed on my head and back. Fortunately I had my helmet, pads and wrist guards on. If not I would have been knocked out and probably broken my wrist! It did knock the wind out of me, and I strained my back. I feel a good case of whiplash coming on. This happened about 1 mile into the ride. I laid on the grass next to the road for about 20 minutes and then continued on my way the last 4 miles... It sucked, and I had to walk allot, but I finally made it home. No more skating home on the weekend, way too much traffic! Time to go put an icepack on my neck and back!

Hang loose, Doc.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:14 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Im sorry Doc to hear of ur crash. OUTCH..! Im not sure if i could ride a skate board or skates at my age without crashing myself. : ) I commend u for trying...lol Many lessons in life are hard to learn. Its not until its too late or when something tragically happens to u the we finally surrender. Thats the case with alcohol. I know for today im glad im sober. Im pretty sure if i were still out there drinking....well....i just dont want to think of it as i can so close to calling it quits twice before surrendering to my own disease back in Feb and Aug of 90.

Im glad u r sober today and that u will be able to recall ur crash even tho its painful. Can u imagine this happening if u were drinking? It could have been worse.....

Now all u need is some TLC from ur loving family. Im sure they are glad u r home safe and sound even with a few minor bruises. : ) Hope u heal well and get a good nights sleep after ur ordeal coming home.

Dont forget ur Thank Yous to the Man Upstairs for guiding u and keeping u somewhat safely on ur way home today... : )
Old 09-09-2006, 07:03 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Well i spent the entire day inside today. : ( Not good....I don't like to be cooped up like that. But i didnt have anything on the agenda planned and just styed close to home and here in SR.

I thought about going to jog...and i blew that off too. Instead I had a pint of of Blue Bell Moo-linium ice cream. Yum..! Now as i visit here in SR i can also listen to the movie behind me on tv....an old time favorite... FATHER GOOSE...WITH CARY GRANT. lol

Hope u had a pleasant sober and clean day today.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:41 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Starting a New Life

Originally Posted by luckyv2
Well I am waiting for my NA Basic Text and How and Why Book cover to get here hoping that it will be today. But nothing too exciting going on here, actually I would like just to let off some steam but I know that this isn't a good place for that so I will just keep everything to myself. Hope everyone has a good day.
I need to actually order mine as well!
Old 09-10-2006, 05:33 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Not much going on today, had to get my oldest son up at 6am so he could go to work, i may take a nap, later wash some clothes and wash dishes and make sure my youngest son doesnt have any homework, if he does I will be making him do that and if I can and have time go to church later this evening.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:27 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

manic times this morning gettng jennifer ready and along to swimming lessons... except the swimming term dont start till next week..ugh!
young bobster is catching a nap after celebrating with his crew the man Omaris b-thday by having a rave
at a local warehouse.. 3rd b'party..init..checkit.. okay it was a warehouse childrens activity thing..
jennifers just finished the anna pavlova poster and it looks great
shes off to a party later.. well the kids are having a good time!..
Old 09-10-2006, 06:51 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

Im gonna watch some foootballllllllllllll sober, like they say theres a first time for everything.
GO BRONCOS
Old 09-10-2006, 06:51 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

At work again... At least until 3:30 PM unless I end up having to work a double-shift. I ordered the 4 set of books for DRA (Dual Recovery Anonymous). I did not want to get my butt out of bed at 6:00 AM this morning! I'm not nearly as sore as I thought I would be today after my gnarley spill yesterday. All the same, I'm walking home today. Then I'm going and getting some stuff for my mt. bike so I can ride it home on the weekends. Way too much traffic on the weekends to skateboard!

Hang loose, Doc.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:58 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Yay...football! Have to deal with my pre-game jitters all day. My Colts don't play until tonight. Suppose to go to a tailgate party, but that may be a bit too tempting. Better to stay home, I think!
Old 09-10-2006, 09:06 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

Might be a good idea stay home, I love the Colts, but i like Eli to so it wont be an easy game to watch, i followed Eli through Ole miss and have always loved all the Mannings they are awesome people. My Broncos play in a hour so i better go feed my horses before the game ...weeeeeee i love footballll.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:13 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi Ruby T.. Good morning. I understand about those football tailgate parties...never been to one..thank God....my parties were always here at home by myself....lol Start drinking way ahead of time get the chips, dip and Im already.... yeeha...! Get a little bit into the game and im bored...lol drink a litlte more and im numb and off to bed id go....lol dont think id be a good tail gate partier....lol

Now that im sober....i kinda like football but not my very best sport....I can get into GOLF...I like to watch it....its not too roudy loud unless someone like Tiger Woods or Phil Milkelson or Many of the other all time greats are trying to make a par or hole in one....maybe sinking it from miles away....COOL SHOT....! lol

Anyway...I do think of the excitement most people have when they tailgate...food, comrodary(sp)? drinking....but u know...i see them and I think, hey they r going to have a hang over tomorrow..but NOT ME....Ill be wide eye and bushy tail tomorrow. : )

I know being sober i can NEVER compete with those that r drinking. They will be laughing, joking ,carrying on and ill feel left out.....I just know ill feel uncomfortable..and so to not feel uncomfortable, i wont place myself in situations that will allow me to feel that way. Id rather be safe than sorry.

You can still root for ur team at home sober or with sober friends..right? You can still have a tailgate party without booze....bring on a barbque , burgers etc and no booze.....and ENJOY IT with NO REGRETS....right?
Old 09-10-2006, 09:14 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Yeah, burgers, brats, and beer just go too well together. Throw a big hyped first game of the year into the mix....I think I'll stay home.