Notices

Why Did I Drink? This Disease sucks! I messed up!

Old 09-05-2006, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why Did I Drink? This Disease sucks! I messed up!

Well, on Sunday my son had gone down the street to talk to a neighbor about a job opportunity and a few minutes later I went down also to check on my son and this neighbor had some beer and I figures 1 or 2 wouldnt hurt, but then I ended up drinking about 5 beers and smoking a little pot then Monday I wasnt planning on drinking and then my husband made the suggestion of getting some beer cause it was Labor Day and since I had already messed up on Sunday, so I gave in again and drank about 5-6 beers again. The first time I think just being around the alcohol set me off and I think in my mind for the few days before the thought would enter my mind and then it would go away, so I don't think I was planning it , but the thoughts of drinking had been entering my mind, I don't know. So I guess I have to start over today as day 1, shouldn't I? Any suggestions for preventing this from happening again, or any thoughts anyone has. I was doing so well and blew it after 34 days
Old 09-05-2006, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

Oh Need, please dont beat yourself up over this, just dust off and get back on the wagon gurl.
If anyone can quit and never slip up there wouldnt be a need for this forum or aa or anything else.
My first attempt was 18 days.
I know when i want to drink i come here and read, especially the jack ass posts about rustys roomie, that alone can cure my desire to drink.
If need be ill give ya my number and next time call me ill try to help.
Im hurting for you but were all here to help you up and start over.
Welcome to Day 1.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Actually Need I do believe you blew it at day 33 with that little taste of wine at the grocery store. You did not realize it, but the "what the heck" was the first indication that you were getting ready to drink, and then getting the taste set the demon working on your subconscious. That taste, set you up.

So, what do you think you can do differently this time, to get a firmer foundation, to build your sobriety on?

Have you tried AA?, or SMART?, or RR?, or Life Ring? etc. When I first started recovery, I found the meetings of AA very helpful in that they were a SAFE PLACE for me to be and I started making some 'new' friends that had either been where I was or were where I was. It was great. They gave me the face to face support I needed, and phone numbers, lots of phone numbers and insisted, yes insisted I call if I had cravings. It really make a big difference.

So again I ask what do you think you can do differently this time, to build a firm foundation as you build up your recovery?

Love and hugs,
Old 09-05-2006, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try. Try. Try. Again.

And you'll get it right.

Don't beat yourself up!!!! Start again today.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know what it is about the 30 day mark? I slipped at day 31.

Stay away from the beer; you know it's just going to lead to a downward spiral. Stay focused and don't listen to those demons in your head.

(((((((((HUGS))))))))))

Lizrox
Old 09-05-2006, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe you can consider this a learning experience, rather than a relapse. You now know that the disease of addiction is a lot more insidious than perhaps you first thought. In AA, alcoholism is referred to as "cunning, baffling and powerful", and some of us add the word "patient".

This is why so many suggest a 12-step recovery program. The fellowship itself is invaluable in learning skills and coping techniques to deal with recovery issues as every one benefits from everyone elses experience. I don't know if that's an option for you or not, but it does work for many of us.

Maybe now would be a good time to at least start writing about what your potential triggers will be and how you plan on dealing with them.

Hopefully, you learned, too, that for a real alcoholic, if you indeed are one, there is no such thing as having just one or two. It's that first one that gets you all the time.

I'm so glad you are here. It's great that you were able to be so honest with yourself about what's going on. That is a HUGE step!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know that you have read my post and have helped me. Don't worry about the set back. I've been starting over since forever. I'm only almost two weeks into this. This stuff is a real A@s kicker. My butt is so bruised I'm suprised I can sit. Anyway, now I'm eating like a freaking cow so my butt can be so wide I won't be able to sit unless its a very special chair.

Addiction. I swear everyone has something they are addicted to. It just stinks and it takes a lot of effort. I think as long as we are making an effort we are okay whether we slip or not. There was a time I didn't make an effort that was bad. Keep trying. At least that is what I tell myself.

Lets help each other. I keep thinking my slip is gonna be right around the corner. But you know what. Even though there is a bar on every corner, there is also FOOD. Ha. I'm obsessed with stuffing my face.

Get back to me and let me know how you are doing.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Laurie, I think you are right about tasting the wine, that was the first thing I did wrong and it set me up to drink more at a later time and I have been to AA meetings before but a long time ago, about a year and 8 months ago and only went to a couple, but I do have The Big Book, only reason havnt gone back cause I cant drive cause my license is suspended til Dec 14, maybe I can try one of the other online programs til then.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OnceNice, I agree with you and I am trying not to feel like a failure or anything like that I am kind of mad at myself but I, just like you over the years have quit for awhile and started drinking again and it just until recently I guess progressed to where i couldnt stop and I was in denial for a long time. But other than that feel like crap, I guess I forgot the hangover feeling and it stinks, I am going to try to remember this feeling and start over today and not drink. Thanks for your support.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

NEED - Most AA groups will send someone over to pick you up. I walked up my first night but they all told me if i had called they would have sent a women or two over right before the meeting started to get me.

See, its helping other alcoholics that helps them too. Win - win situation

GO!!!!It cant hurt. Get a firmer foundation, for sure. Get something to stand on then you can feel more comfortable telling it no.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

THe reason you drank is simple. You wanted to and you chose to drink....all relapses are the same, a desire to use followed by a decision to use.

Recovery is about shortcircuting that circle, and giving someone the tools to use in the even the desire to use pops up. GIve yourself a break, get into AA or one of the other programs of recovery out there. I haven't chosen to get loaded since I threw myself head first into NA. It works if you are willing to do what it takes (like call someone in AA for a ride...trust me alot of people in the program have had to deal with liscense suspinsions and had to lean on other people for rides so they will be more than happy to return the favor to you).

Good luck, you can do it.
Blake
Old 09-05-2006, 09:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Yep we drink/use because we want to. Can not blame anyone but ourselves, I know that we have a dis-ease but we really have to quit blaming that also for our own decisions. When I went out in February it was a conscience decision on my part. It took a long time for me to get back with any kind of sobriety or happiness, however I am lucky because I am clean today. I never thought that I would ever see a clean day again. So for that I am truly thankful and also grateful to know that I never have to do it again.

Love Vic
Old 09-05-2006, 09:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

but I do have The Big Book, only reason havnt gone back cause I cant drive cause my license is suspended til Dec 14, maybe I can try one of the other online programs til then.
Maybe you could try the bus or public transportation? When we are ready we do whatever it takes. I just read where someone is riding their skateboard to work and meetings.
Just my opinion, not meant as sarcasm.
Good for you for taking control of this now. Keep going.