Notices

Why did I drink?

Old 09-04-2006, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why did I drink?

In spite of the intense sinus headache accompanied by the blahs, I had very eye opening self realization weekend, and like to share.

I started on my soberness on June 11th had a slip one day and have not drank since July 1st....
....Just made it through a big party weekend here at the the shore and I got to see what I wasn't missing.

Friday for the first time I felt strong enough to stop by and old drinking partners house, my kids wanted to play with her kids so I said okay. 4:00 in the afternoon and she was bombed on Skyy, she immediately said you don't want a shot do you, no I said I don't thank you. She proceed ed to tell her new boy friend , who though had been drinking to was respectably buzzed, how I got her hooked on skyy and then quit drinking on her. Though I felt bad for her I was glad that was not me anymore, we didn't stay long she kept saying I was looking at her funny because she was drunk and I wasn't but really, I wasn't, It her choice, I wonder if she even remembers I was there.

Sunday I spent the afternoon at the football field (my daughters cheer) and was actual able to talk to other parents without wondering if they knew how much I had to drink or having to sneak away for a shot or three..

Sunday night I pick up my friends daughter an took to a local event, when I returned her I stayed for a while to hang out with some friends I have known most of my life Every one had been drinking most of the day I guess I use to slur and talk that loud too by the end of the day, If I hadn't already passed out.

Many people worry about being around the drink and the drinkers, I knew when I started on this journey that I wouldn't be able to avoid it, not with out walking away from everyone I know and giving up most of what I do. I have found I don't miss drinking at parties and events and when everyone is drunk I am relived it is not me, I do find I make an early exit partial because It's hard to hold a conversation with a bunch of drunks and partly because I don't Loose track of time anymore.

My husband seems to drinking a lot less he is trying not to drink at all, he slips every one and a while, he even told a friend he is trying to stay on the wagon. I guess a six pack week is better that 6 or so a day. He rarely gets drunk, it's easy for him to have just a few, lucky *******.

Well, I hope I didn't bore you with my play by play of my weekend, and i hope I encouraged some newbies. I going to try and lay low here for a while I am going to be buried with work (lots of papers to grade) and grad classes (lots of papers to write.) I'll probably be reading but not posting much.

Lately I have been asking myself, Why did I drink, what could it have posibly added to my life? I found one answer today, it seems i had been drinking for so long, 30 years ,that I never knew I could get by with out it, and I was always afraid to try.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Awesome, Girly-girl. Thanks so much for sharing that.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post NYCGirl and it sounds like you're doing well.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you were able to show incredible strength and power in the face of an addiction that had ahold of you for so long. that is nothing short of amazing -and you're right - powerful encouragement for those of us just starting out.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

I can relate. I was around a bunch of drinking over the weekend. It started early in the day and some were pretty hammered by the afternoon. I did not miss not being able to participate. I too was having a tough time dealing with slurred conversations. I was happy to go home sober and NOT pass out from over doing it. I kept looking at others and imagining myself in the same situation. I shudder to think what I was like drunk. I never want anyone to see me drunk ever again, nor do I ever want to be drunk again. Good riddance...

GOOD FOR YOU FOR STAYING A STEP AHEAD OF THE DRINKING.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

WAY TO GO! Keep inspiring us!
Old 09-05-2006, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

NYCG, simply awesome ... your words speak so true to me... thanks ...

all good wishes, and give only love .... xxoo Rusty
Old 09-05-2006, 06:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

Way to stay strong girl, Im sure it wasnt easy.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I need to stay strong this week it's my first week back to work, Friday coming!
I avoid the 1st dy back lunch out at the local tavern, just didn't feel strong enough. Funny I've been around dinking all sumer no problem.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NYCGirl
I avoid the 1st dy back lunch out at the local tavern, just didn't feel strong enough. Funny I've been around dinking all sumer no problem.
Well when I would feel really good about myself and my sobriety that would kick up the urge to celebrate with a shot of something... anything. I am impressed that you listened to your HP and made a good choice for yourself by not going to the tavern... It's not that you can't do it, it's that you listened to something somewhere in your head (or out) advising you to do right by yourself. Good call!! One of many a head of you!!