Notices

Just fed a hummer ????

Old 08-29-2006, 02:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

H forgot the camera but she is not letting me out of her sight so I can take one tomorrow.....unless I can find that nest....still looking (when she's not in my lap)
Old 08-29-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Awww cute but hmmm

Marte
Old 08-29-2006, 02:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Lol Bsp
Old 08-29-2006, 02:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am working on it......he did not forget it but will not be home for at least 2 more hours....then we will have a picture....as long as no one turns me in..LOL

Missouri does not mess around with that and with my H being in conservation management I think it might be a stain on any future employment.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Chy
Sweet story but against the law to keep a hummingbird? Seriously? Huh.
Yes but I think this may be caring for at the moment.
I know if it was me doing the care, I would be so tempted to keep it.
They are such beautiful birds.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So how's the little one today, Smyle?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good morning....She is doing good and I am tired but my coffee is finally kicking in.....

It got cooler here last night but I rigged up a tiny version of a hot water bottle for her so she did not eat as much...only every 2 hours....

she is flying around alot more today and finds her food on her own a little better, but she still opens her mouth every time I put my hand near her beak... It is cute.... I am hoping hubby remembers the camera today....

I will start making her do more and more on her own today...

she is just so cute....

I would have posted sooner but I am tired and my son is keeping me busy today.....
Old 08-30-2006, 10:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You are so nice to do all that for a little bird. If I lived nearby I'd take some of the night feedings for you!

Thank God for coffee, huh?
Old 08-30-2006, 10:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I just dropped off my son for his preschool so I have 2 hours to eat and take a nap.....

I appreciate your offer...wish you were closer too, not just for the birdy, we could have coffee too....
Old 08-30-2006, 12:34 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi Smyle,
What a great thing to be able to take care of a hummer. Do you know what kind it is? It sounds like she's a she. I get hummers in my yard here in Portland occassionally; getting more now that I planted my big red monarda (Bee Balm).
They love the color red. Congrats on 90 days. I'm only at seven, but it will be great to be sober to see any more hummers that fly by!
Fred
Old 08-30-2006, 12:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey Fred and welcome to SR....and congrats on 7 days...that is great.

My Hubby told me but I forgot....She is emerald green .....

I have an Aunt that lives in Bend and my H and I considered moving to Portland but bought this house instead.

I love your state......I love mine too don't get me wrong .....at least I can always come and visit it.

again great job on day 7.....

my dad's name is Fred and I got excited cause he is a terrible alcoholic and I told him to check this site out....thought for a brief second he was listening to me....oh well....but nice to meet you Fred ......
Old 08-30-2006, 11:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Nope, you're right....not dad. I'm actually not a guy either, but a 44 year old mom with two young daughters who loves to garden organically and sustainably to improve the earth and attract birds, butterflies, dragonflies and so on.......

When I was 12 I started calling my Dad 'George' and he responded with "H'lo 'Fred'" and it was that way until he died.
I miss him terribly and just like using that special name.
Silly, but hey................
Old 08-31-2006, 12:09 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Picture of a whole family...
Old 08-31-2006, 12:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

awwww....it seems the birdie has adopted you not the other way round!
I really wish I could see this! Can't imagine having one sit in the lap! Such a lovely thought!
Old 08-31-2006, 06:30 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Fred....my husband loves to garden organically....I think that is beautiful about your father, what a special bond....I have 2 kids too 1 girl almost 7 and my son is 4....so glad you are here .........

Best...your picture cracked me up, and I just recieved a bumper sticker from a good friend that says "Live larger, Drive smaller! Not everyone needs an SUV...with a cartoon pic of a hummer....made me think of that...

Live..My H forgot the camera AGAIN last night.....he promised not to forget it today....

She let me sleep through last night.....She gets over to her food by herself.

I got up twice to reheat her hot water bottles and check on her....I am gonna see about letting her go tonight...I had her outside in the evening yesterday...she would fly to my fence and sit there but then fly back to the tree where I was sitting....at the trunk and just look at me like "what now"

so I will rig up a nest in one of the trees....so she has a home base...My H said he will help me this evening...since he is the bird guy I will take all the help I can get.

I am just glad I got some sleep last night....she's worth it though !!!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Smyle,

I love checking in to see how your "baby" is! This is absolutely the sweetest thing I've heard about in a long time.

I hope all goes well!

Jane
Old 08-31-2006, 11:43 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
cmc

hi smyle,
I am pretty sure that your baby has 'imprinted' to you as the 'mama bird'- the way it flies off a bit but comes back is just how they are in the wild with 'mom'. I have had some exp with birds- I usually bring them to our wild bird center.
Most times the parents are near and watching-but stay away if people are around. I had one once in our school yard and the parents waited over an hour after dismissal( a few of our staff hid in a nearby room) and mama picked up her baby 'beak to beak' and flew off to their nest!
I have hummingbirds in my yard (S. FL) but have never seen them myself! Most birds that can fly will find others or maybe even the 'parents' and be just fine on their own.
Handling the bird will not repel the parents or other birds either.
I once rescued an egret ( with beak that was 10 inch long & very sharp!) off of I-95!!! I trapped it by covering it with a cardboard box and then flipping the box over! Not the smartest thing I ever did.
He had to be destroyed due to a crushed leg. :-(
At least you saved this one!! A cat or other animal might have got to him before you did.
Where are the pics????
Old 08-31-2006, 12:49 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

lol @ Best

Marte
Old 08-31-2006, 02:14 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I love egrets...they are so beautiflu, we enjoyed watching them in Fl and we have some here in Northern Mo...where my hubby grew up. He has an Ornithology minor and loves birds as much as I do......

She was a mess so I put a little water in there and she is cleaning up, I also got some fruit flies (got rotten bananas at my GF grocery store) and set them out...once I got a few I put them in her little pen....she ate them so I am hopeful she will be okay out there.

She has been flying around in the sunroom all day...landing on the plants and was so funny ...she landed on my strings for the blinds and it split apart she looked like she was doing the splits but she just sat there....

I hope to release her tomorrow...she is almost ready....I will miss Ms. Oz...

The other hummers come around her when she is out but they just check her out then fly away....I just want to be sure she is strong enough to make it if momma never gets her...

I need to get a pic...hope hubby remembered the camera ??? Men !!!