Notices

Recovering binger. Do I have brain damage?

Old 08-27-2006, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovering binger. Do I have brain damage?

I signed up today because my attempt to stay sober didn't work well. I am a college student, and started drinking when I was 20, and now I'm 22. I was never an everday drinker, but I would binge drink, usually on the weekends. After reading about the damaging effects of alcohol on the brain, I decided drink in moderation. For the past 3 weeks I drank in moderation or didn't drink for a day. In those three weeks I had 2 episodes where I drank over 4, but no more then 5. Yesterday, I did it again, having close to 5 drinks (but I woke up with no hangover). I decided to join this forum.

My question is, because of the length of time I've been drinking (two years, but there were moments where there would be months where I wouldn't touch a drink)do I have any brain damage? Binge drinking is a regular thing with college students, and I typically drink less amounts and less frequently then many students. Can severe brain damage affect a person at a young age, or am I being paranoid?
Old 08-27-2006, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

None of us can say for sure if you have done any irreversible damage. My hunch is though, that you are going to be fine unless your binges were frequent and intense.

How many would you drink at one time and how rapidly?

Do you notice any difference in yourself now compared to before you began to drink? Do others notice any differences in you? Can you stop completely (weeks)without withdrawals?

See a doctor if you have any reason to think your capacities have changed.

Consider not drinking at all. If you do, they say men should have no more than two in one day and no more than one per hour and no more than 3 days a week. If this is a problem, then seek help.

Otherwise, unless you or others see impairments, I'm guessing you are going to be just fine. Congrats on seeing the dangers of alcohol much sooner than most of the others here. You've got your whole life ahead of you to live without the shackles of alcohol. Make it a great one...
Old 08-27-2006, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Let's face it binging on booze doesn't make you smarter. I have a longer and more intensive drinking career than you plus I'm older but I remember it took me almost a year to comprehend everything I read the first time around... I felt, well, dyslexic. I think binging is worse cuz you're pouring it down as fast as you can and that all at once stuff has got to hurt worse. It took Dylan Thomas 28 straight continuous whiskies to cause the "insult to the brain" that killed him.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ibhmn

1) How many would you drink at one time and how rapidly?

2) Do you notice any difference in yourself now compared to before you began to drink? Do others notice any differences in you? Can you stop completely (weeks)without withdrawals?

I woke up today with slight cognitive impairment, especially typing, but I seem fine now.

1)There was a time, for about 3 months, where I would binge 2-3 times a week, and very heavily and rapidly (sometimes 4-5 drinks an hour, and up to 10-12 drinks, but that was rare) Even at this phase, I only had a minor irritation for about a day when I quit binge drinking.

2) I think there is a possibility in a difference, but no one else has seen it, even when I asked. Then again, no one noticed when I put off 10 pounds eithier. I don't think my short-term memory is as good as it was, but when I stop drinking for several days, I feel as good in memory as ever. I don't have any symtoms when I stop drinking for a week, but I haven't gone sober for several weeks in a year.

Otherwise, unless you or others see impairments, I'm guessing you are going to be just fine. Congrats on seeing the dangers of alcohol much sooner than most of the others here. You've got your whole life ahead of you to live without the shackles of alcohol. Make it a great one
Thanks for those kind words. : )
Old 08-27-2006, 06:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CoffeeAddict
when I stop drinking for several days, I feel as good in memory as ever. I don't have any symtoms when I stop drinking for a week, but I haven't gone sober for several weeks in a year.
Again, I'm not a doctor but it sounds like you are fine when you lay off. Alcohol can contribute to paranoia...so how about laying off for a few weeks (at least) and let your brain completely detox and maybe the paranoia will go away too.

In the process, you may find you don't need (or want) this stuff at all (and your grades will improve). Scr@w the peer pressure to drink! Whose future is at risk when YOU binge--theirs or YOURS?

Life isn't so much about what happens to us but about the choices we make when responding. You're at that juncture and you're smart enough to know it. Most of us you are reading didn't wise up as early as you. I've got kids about to start college. I hope they wise up as you have. (The way alcohol is marketed to college kids is a crime.)

Imagine if you invested the money most people spend on booze over a 45 year career. You will have well over $100,000 to spend traveling the world in retirement--and you'll remember the trips since you will have been sober!

Go get that degree and make the world a better place!!...
Old 08-27-2006, 07:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR All I can say is I got a lot better after I quit taking anything that effects me from the neck up.

So one day at a time I get better on every level.

Kevin
Old 08-27-2006, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello,

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I would venture a guess that you are fine. Go and see a doctor and explain to him/her what you just posted.

I was a binge drinker almost nightly for well over a decade and a bartender (on and off) for about the same time where I witnessed behavior far worse than what you described. I saw some people stop horrendous behavior and come out fine. I myself was able to complete grad school (in a very competetive program) with perfect grades all while drinking hard.

I am not advocating you binge drink or drink in excess at all, but from the sounds of it, you seem intelligent enough and are aware enough of your own body whereby you could be a "normal" drinker--you may be able to go to dinner, have a couple drinks and that's it. Believe me, once you get out of the college environment, most people stop making the absolute fools of themselves with alcohol that those us here never did.

Yes, there are risks with alcohol, but in moderation (which I couldn't achieve), alcohol can be beneficial health wise. Talk with your doctor, and if you have less stress and worry without drinking, then don't drink.

I'd be very surprised if you had any permanent health problems.

BTW, have you seen Morgan Spurlock's (SuperSize Me) "30 Days"? You can rent them now, and there's one episode where a mother agrees to binge drink for 30 days to show her college-aged daughter its dangers. You might want to watch that.

Take care.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It took Dylan Thomas 28 straight continuous whiskies to cause the "insult to the brain" that killed him.
I didn't think anyone could drink 28 shots straight up. Eck...

Go get that degree and make the world a better place!!...
Thanks Ibhmn, I will!!

Originally Posted by BeamMeUpScotty
Hello,

BTW, have you seen Morgan Spurlock's (SuperSize Me) "30 Days"? You can rent them now, and there's one episode where a mother agrees to binge drink for 30 days to show her college-aged daughter its dangers. You might want to watch that.

Take care.
No I haven't, but it sounds crazy! I'm definitely going to pick it up!!

Welcome to SR All I can say is I got a lot better after I quit taking anything that effects me from the neck up.

So one day at a time I get better on every level.

Kevin
Thanks for the welcome Kevin! I agree that I should avoid anything that damages the brain.