SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hi, newbie here! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/101468-hi-newbie-here.html)

Yikes 08-24-2006 12:46 PM

Hi, newbie here!

I decided I want to keep my family together and house! Hopefully i will get alot of inspiration from this forum! I am not worried about not drinking.....I can stop that....Just worried about my life after drinking.....Think it might be kinda boring.....Need to find other things to do besides sit on my arse and drink and smoke....Look forward to meeting new friends here on this forum!

janeeyre 08-24-2006 12:51 PM

Welcome, Yikes!

There's a lot to look forward to when you leave the drink behind. I'm glad you're giving it a go!

Jane

Anna 08-24-2006 01:01 PM

Welcome Yikes,

I think stopping drinking is just beginning and what follows is the road of recovery. It's a most interesting road and I hope you join us on our journey.

Yikes 08-24-2006 01:33 PM

Thanks! Not looking forward to the immediate future(trying to find things to fill my time). I am sure with each passing day it will be easier and easier...

Arura 08-24-2006 02:00 PM

Welcome Yikes...There care so many wonderful people on this forum. Welcome to the road to Recovery...xXx...:Val004:

NEEDTOBESOBER 08-24-2006 02:23 PM

I was worried about the same thing, you have to find other activities to do that are non-alcohol related and try to stay busy helps for me. 24 days sober today

Yikes 08-24-2006 06:56 PM

I did it! I actually drove home from work with out giving the Capt a ride home! Baby steps right?:bunny5:

RubyT 08-24-2006 07:01 PM

Baby steps is right! I have to drive past my favorite watering hole to take and pick up my daughter from practice...tonight I drove by and didn't bother glancing to see who's cars were there, trying to see inside, etc....it's amazing what pride I take in the smallest things.

Yikes 08-24-2006 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by RubyT
Baby steps is right! I have to drive past my favorite watering hole to take and pick up my daughter from practice...tonight I drove by and didn't bother glancing to see who's cars were there, trying to see inside, etc....it's amazing what pride I take in the smallest things.

Thanks for your response! It is amazing how fast everyones posts responses here! I just got a smile on my "sober" face. Been feeling pretty down all day, not to mention a little hung over....BLAH!

2dayzmuse 08-24-2006 07:07 PM

Sobriety doesn't have to be boring. There are a lot of sober activities out there waiting for you. They come with a bonus, no hangover. Welcome...

scootinbabe 08-24-2006 07:10 PM

welcome! keep coming back!

Yikes 08-24-2006 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by scootinbabe
welcome! keep coming back!

Thanks, I plan on it!

TexasDawn 08-25-2006 07:18 AM

:kitty:

Hello there Yikes!
Welcome to SR! The more the merrier.
There is strength in numbers.:funjump:

We are getting stronger everyday.:Weightlif

Yikes 08-25-2006 09:34 AM

Thanks again for the warm welcome! I am very familar with forums...I belong to a few others that are truck related. Had a pretty non-eventful evening last night...Just as I thought....pretty boring not much into watching tv,
Tonight should be very interesting.......Keeping a positive attitude in such a negative world.....

best 08-25-2006 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Yikes
I am not worried about not drinking.....I can stop that.

The stopping is easy...just don't pick up the first one.
Dealing with the things that come after...what to do with my time, feelings, emotions, behaviors....All can be things that have us want to pick up that first one.
Look about and read the posts that say stickies beside them at the top of the boards. May want to check where some meetings are held in your area. AA is a great source of support and info as well.
Why do it alone when the support of others makes it easier.

Congratulations on your choices. Your not alone in this and it can be done.

As for filling your time... Give some hobbies a try or maybe start a project at home. Just the other day, I helped my nephew with his car. I took what I know and passed on some skills to a younger person. My time was filled and he learned, as well as had his car looking better.

Lollipop 08-25-2006 11:31 AM

Welcome to SR!!!!

This place ROCKS!:c005:

Yikes 08-25-2006 03:11 PM

Ok, worked a 1/2 today, getting ready for an off-road meet, have a few more errands to run, then I have to figure out something else to do when all the errands are run.....hmmm..............Will let you know what I end up doing...

StrongR2Day 08-25-2006 03:14 PM

Welcome, glad you are here and keep coming back!

michski 08-25-2006 03:55 PM

Welcome!

Don't worry about the future.. it all falls nicely into place if you can just keep yourself from bending that elbow!

nogard 08-25-2006 04:18 PM

Hi Yikes,

Welcome to SR :) plenty of info and support here, keep coming back

Kevin