Notices

What is spirituallity?

Old 08-20-2006, 09:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is spirituallity?

What is spirituallity? How can I achieve it?
Old 08-20-2006, 09:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it involves finding out that the world doesn't revolve around the creature called "me", and getting out of our own way. There are different ways to go about it, and sometimes when we do we get in trouble.

In recovery, I started with the Serenity Prayer even though I was unsure about the "God" business, but it was a practice that helped me be more open minded about what I needed to do, what was possible, and what wasn't as important as I thought it was. I became willing to try things--doing 12-step work, writing a fourth step, hanging out with people I didn't think I had anything in common with. I started meditating again, and checked out a Buddhist place, and one thing lead to another.

There's a bumper sticker that says "Don't believe everything you think." Some spirituality gives you easy answers, while some gives you the straight goods. Growth isn't easy. It involves surrendering to a process that opens our horizons. Whether that surrender is to God or nowness or basic goodness may be a matter of what works for us individually. But it's learning to think differently. We go in with our eyes open and see what works. Question, but verify.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IndigoNA
What is spirituallity? How can I achieve it?
Personally, I believe each person has to define spirituality for himself/herself.

I am a devout atheist and I believe myself to be a deeply spiritual person. For me, spirituality is the search for truth (with a "small" t), beauty, justice, and knowledge.

I live in Japan, where most people are a-religious, and there is spirituality everywhere.

How can you achieve it? Again, you have to answer that question for yourself, I believe.

One thing is for certain, I feel a lot more spiritual without a hangover than with one.

Take care and good luck in your search.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am Catholic, so I tend to rely on my religion, but spirituality is not, I don't think the same as a religion, it is whatever you believe in that will work for you, I think Spirituality is believing in a Higher Power, but so are many religions. As a Catholic, I learned to believe in one God and Jesus Christ and pray, pray, pray, and I missed church yesterday cause had too much to do but it really helped the week before going to church.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Spiritual From the Latin word for "breath": pertaining to the moral life or welfare of the soul, the real breath of life. More... - Soberpedia

I think that spirituality is your heart, soul and mind being "in tune" with each other for good. When you are in touch with your spirituality,snide comments roll off of you, traffic doesnt bother you, annoying people humor you, etc.
It's like Happy Gilmore's "happy place". I also believe that true spirituality includes the thinking of other's welfare also. How can we be completely happy with ourselves if we are ONLY thinking of ourselves.