Notices

The first day to a new beginning

Old 08-20-2006, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
blue eyes

Wink The first day to a new beginning

Hi im Shawna,
I've spent all day reading and if not for finding this website I would probably not have the courage to begin my sober journey. Im gonna take it one day at a time. I don't drink every day but when I do (2-3xs a week) I usually over indulge (6-10drinks in a setting). I have hurt and embarrassed my children by letting them see me drunk and acting stupid. I don't like who I become when im drinking. I have never been married and have raised my daugter(22) and my son(12) by myself, with little or no support. Drinking has always been my escape. Im 39 and am tired of living this roller coaster ride. This is going to be a real challenge for me since most of my friends drink. Thanks for giving me a place to come so I dont feel so alone.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

I am so pleased to se you here looking for answers.

Blessings to you and your children
Old 08-20-2006, 07:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Shawna! Four weeks ago I was passed out at this time. Haven't had a drink since then. The first step is admitting it to yourself. The second is to let another know--and here you are! Way to go!

Sounds like this is one of the first positive things that you are doing for YOU--not for your kids or your friends. Just to heal YOU. Way to go. You deserve it!

Try going to a meeting if you feel up to it. AA or otherwise. It's not nearly as scary as you might imagine. I went to a closed women's meeting (only for women who are problem drinkers/alcoholics) and was astonished to see women of all ages and all walks of life and all with the same problem as me. It was really helpful.

Read all you can about this disease. Lets you know more about what you are up against.

Hang in there and keep coming back!!
Old 08-20-2006, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there!! Welcome to SR this is a great and supportive place. This can be done and sometimes its easier than we think. I dreaded getting sober, I mean, I wanted to but I was scared. NOW??!!!? I just wish I had done it SOONER!!

I agree with AA - that is my method of recovery. Try a meeting, I would try a few, they are all done the same way, but are different. The end result is the same Alcoholics meeting to help each other stay sober.

Keep posting we are here for you!
Star
Old 08-20-2006, 07:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!

At the first AA meeting I went to a woman walked up to me afterwards and said "You don't have to live your life that way anymore!" At the time I thought she meant that I didn't have to drink anymore, which was good because that's why I was there. Five years later I lknow that there is so much more to sobriety than just not drinking. Stick around, life just keeps getting better! tk
Old 08-20-2006, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

HI SHAWNA

You must be a really strong and brave woman by raising your children by yourself!!! I think single mothers are the most awesome people on this earth so I really have alot of respect for you!!!

I wish you all the best and welcome to SR!!!!

Love Dreamz

Old 08-20-2006, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
blue eyes

Thanks dreamz,
That means a lot to know someone cares. More than you know. The more positive thoughts I have the better. Your a doll. Look forward to hearing from you again. Bye for now, smac
Old 08-20-2006, 10:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Awwww thanks Shawna!!!

I'm sending a billion positive thoughts!!!

*****;;;'''"""*****!!!!""""///
/
*******;;;;;;;:::::::***;***
;;*;;;**;;****

Thats all positive thoughts!!!

Old 08-21-2006, 03:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Shawna,
Raised 2 kids on your own. Giving up the sauce should be a doddle. Okay,, thats not strictly true.. but it is possible and definately worth it. (not that Im some old hand at this lark).. Good for you!
Bob
Old 08-21-2006, 05:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I know how hard it is to be a single mom, I was a single mom for the first 5 years of my son's life who is now 18. AA would also be a good place to start although I have not gone in awhile cause driver's license is suspended due to my last DWI, but I will get my driving privileges back in December and will start going back then. I am on a medication called Campral which I am doing very well on, it helps with withdrawals, cravings and brings your brain back to normal activity, so you might wanna check that out too. I am 21 days sober.