Notices

So - I can't stop - what do I do?

Old 08-18-2006, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So - I can't stop - what do I do?

I get the whole "One Day at a Time" but I haven't been able to finish a day. WHY?? Why can't I? I hate feeling like crap in the morning. I hate the withdrawal type feelings I get.

What do I do? What can I do??
Old 08-18-2006, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I siggest you ask your doctor for advice.
There are meds to help with the cravings.

Take care...
Old 08-18-2006, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can tell you that anta abuse can help you make it through the first weeks of sobriety. I took it.

It doesn't eliminate cravings, but it does make you violently ill if you do drink when on it. That was part of what got me through.

Levi
Old 08-18-2006, 08:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

What kind of meds? What are the side effects? I wake up every morning saying "I've gotta quit drinking". Vodka also happens to be my poison.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

It depends on whether or not you are having withdrawls..How much you are drinking...If you are drinking a lot on a daily basis then alcohol withdrawl can be very dangerous and needs to be done under medical supervision..Do you have a Detox Center where you are ??
If not - You should see your Doctor to supervise your withdrawl...

Congratulations for reaching out for help !!! You have come to a great place - there are others who have been in your situation who will come along and provide you with their Experience strength & hope...
Hang in there - You are in my prayers !!!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

First off I would like to welcome you to SR and one thing that I was told growing up that Can't can't do anything. Any alcoholic or addict can go a day without using. It is a proven fact. I am here and that has been my experience as well as so many here. I was on a path that I didn't think that I would ever be able to get past 5 days. And then the hounds of hell came biting at my feet. Well no legal stuff thank God but it could have been prison for so long!....

Something happened around 3 months ago, I couldn't even stand to look myself in the mirror, I was a discrase to the human race (or so I thought), I just couldn't go on living the way that I had been living. See really drugs (alcohol is a drug) isn't our problem! Our problem is the one stairing back from the mirror. There is 15% is the problem with drugs the other 85% is learning to live without the use of drugs. That is the part that is hard. If this was so easy to do (it does get easier) than there would be a lot more people staying clean right!

Anyways what do we do to stay clean? Go to meetings, read the literature, take the steps, get and use a sponsor and what is the fifth thing OH YEAH

Don't use no matter what!

Sending good thoughts your way.

Love Vic
Old 08-18-2006, 09:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Vodkaaddict and Mark 123,

It is really hard to get through the first few days of trying to not drink. I've seen it said here at SR that it can be one hour at a time or even one minute at a time. I think for me, it was one hour at a time the first day I stopped. The thing is that it gets easier with each minute, hour, day. It really does.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you tried AA? AA has been the answer for over a million alcoholics who asked the very same question you pose here. The reason you are failing to make it even one day is that you are probably trying to do it alone. Recovery is not about simply pushing the bottle away. You MUST,.....MUST change every aspect of your life and lifestyle. Your lifestyle is such that you cannot get away from that craving. No drinking friends. No drinking relationships whatsoever. You must change the way you deal with hardship and stress. You must reprogram your brains way of thinking. You have to change everything. I know this seems way too much to take on alone. And you are so very right. Thats why AA was developed. "I cant,....WE can"

I know its a tired, old slogan, but, its so true. People in recovery will tell you why you cannot make it through one day,.....then they will show you how. All you have to do is try. If you dont like what AA has to offer,....they will gladly refund your misery.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

1. Call your doctor and make an appointment.

2. Check out the following links to AA alternatives and info:

SMART Recovery
http://www.smartrecovery.org

LifeRing Secular Recovery
http://www.unhooked.com

SOS - Secular Organisations for Sobriety
http://www.secularsobriety.org

Women for Sobriety
http://womenforsobriety.org/

3. Keep posting!
Old 08-19-2006, 02:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Originally Posted by Vodkaddict
I hate feeling like crap in the morning. I hate the withdrawal type feelings I get.
Ah the pain of using...it's exquisite ain't it. Is it withdrawal or just the hangover that you have not allowed yourself to feel? I found that when I was drinking it was the hangover that kept me drinking.

Oh I had a team of doctors and therapist helping me even with their help the only way out was thru the muck. In my last days of drinking I found that the hangover would not go away even when I was drunk it was so awful. I was a mess. The pain might not be pleasant but I can guarentee that it is not going to go away if you keep drinking. Go to a doctor that is knowlegable about addictions and alcoholism so they can help you thru this...
Old 08-19-2006, 05:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ihad gone to the doctor and gave me Campral which is a new medication for withdrawals and craving , it also brings your brain activity back to normal since alcohol dependence changes chemical balance in your brain and it does not make you sick if you drink. I havnt had a drink since I started it and this is my 19th day of sobriety. Also Campral works well but if you try it, it is expensive unless you have health insurance. My prescription was $55.00 and that was with my insurance for a 30 day supply.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

V Addict ... yep, as mentioned ... one day, one hour, one minute ... one just has to have the balls to start the clock ...

all good wishes .................................... xxoo, Zip
Old 08-19-2006, 07:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

1) go to an AA meeting
2) Be around other sober people that know how challenging it is
3) Change your daily routine - you have to work to change the cycle
4) go to another AA meeting

You can do this.
JMHS
Old 08-19-2006, 07:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow! All excellent pertinent advice.

Welcome also, Mark123 .
Hope to see you both posting more!

Star
Old 08-19-2006, 09:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEEDTOBESOBER
Ihad gone to the doctor and gave me Campral which is a new medication for withdrawals and craving , it also brings your brain activity back to normal since alcohol dependence changes chemical balance in your brain and it does not make you sick if you drink. I havnt had a drink since I started it and this is my 19th day of sobriety. Also Campral works well but if you try it, it is expensive unless you have health insurance. My prescription was $55.00 and that was with my insurance for a 30 day supply.
I was on this my first month. I wasn't sure if it really helped, but I wasn't willing to take any chances. My first month was relatively uneventful cravingswise, which was due to the effects of Campral, living at Crossroads in Phoenix and doing the 90 AA meetings in 90 AA days thing, working the steps vigorously with my sponsor, and general fellowship. BTW, I would recommend that plan of action to you, Vodkaddict and Mark_123.

Vodka was my poison of choice too. What is it with the vodka? Stuff is a nightmare
Old 08-19-2006, 09:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi...
I went through the first few days away from my house and surroundings. I made the choice between me and the booze. Me won out this time. I went to a place where I couldn't drink (in the country) and was surrounded by people to help.

Then back in the city the doctor, the therapists, family, and friends were there to lean on.

I think if I had went through the first few days alone in my house I wouldn't have been able to do it.

AA is always a great option!!!

I think you'll hit your 'bottom' and do it. Try, try, try again!!!! There is hope!!!! I went from thinking that I could not do a day without drinking to being over 40 days. Now I just don't want too.

You can do it!!! Don't get too discouraged. One day at a time.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR, keep coming back and never stop reaching out.

Kevin
Old 08-19-2006, 05:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You guys are awesome. I love all of your encouraging workds.

The thing is - I am afraid to go to AA or even to a doctor. Nobody knows I have this problem - I hide it well. Well, I tried to tell my husband but he thought I was exaggerating and said I should try to drink less. (ya think???) I guess I am a "functioning" alcoholic but believe me I do drink ALOT. At least half a bottle of vodka a day. Then even after that I can't sleep so I take an Ambien. I feel like I am on a downward spiral.

But I am embarassed to go to AA and unless I find a new doc (I would never tell my regular docs) I just don't know what to do. I guess for now I will try to cut down until the kids are in school and I have the freedom to go to a different doctor. I did look up psychologists who specialize in addiction. I am ready to make a change but I am finding it hard to start....

Thanks for being here - I am so happy to find this place and hope to have good news to report very soon.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Virtually every single one of us were embarrassed to join AA initially. Who wouldn't be? It's like what Chris Raymer used to say: "Alcoholics Anonymous! The last house on the block! It wasn't like I woke up one day and said, 'man, The Rotary Club or AA, which is it gonna be?"

Also, in the throes of our drinking it's usually very hard to separate from it until we hit a nasty bottom. That was true for me, and you can make the choice to take action now or keep at it. It doesn't get any better from here on out unfortunately. A lot of us tried to make all sorts of excuses to prolongue our drinking, long after we acknowledged it as a serious problem. I know I did (I'll cut down when I get that new job/get a raise/get to school/start getting back down to the gym/get that girlfriend/get out of this damn town/get away from these people/get on the right meds or the right therapist et al.) Quitting drinking seemed unrealistic, frightening, and akin to magical thinking for me. I finally hit bottom when I lost my job and spent several weeks in my room, emerging for more liquor and falling back into oblivion, until I poisoned myself and went on to develop DTs. That was in March, and horrible doesn't even begin to describe it.

Also, AA is NOT what it's portrayed to be on The Sopranos or Family Guy or whathaveyou. There's a lot of cool people in this fellowship. I don't apologize for my AA membership to anyone.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Once you ADMITT YOU ARE POWERLESS OVER ALCOHOL AND YOUR LIFE HAS BECOME UNMANAGABLE....then you will GIVE UP...SURRENDER AND REALIZE YOU CAN'T DO THIS ALONE.

I know i couldnt stop on my own 16 yrs ago. I tried countless time and just couldnt go anymore. I had hit bottom as they say and i wanted to check out of this life for good ending my misery.

My family stepped in and did for me what i couldnt do for myself. For them im truely greatful.

There are sooooo many others like you that have recognized they have a problem but dont know where to go or what to do....

Your in a good place here in SR for help and guidance.

Keep coming back.