Notices

People die from alcohol?

Old 08-16-2006, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

People die from alcohol?

How do people die from alcohol?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i think there are quite a few different ways - but one way i know for sure, is that over time alcohol consumption raises your blood pressure which can cause stroke, or heart attack. there is also cirrhosis (i'm sure i've spelled that wrong) of the liver ... anybody else know?

are you new to SR? if so welcome! this is a great site for support!

FallGirl
Old 08-16-2006, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Someone I know is suffering from heart failure....from long term alcoholism.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How about traumatic injury! That was one of my worries that pushed me to stop. Being so drunk you fall down stairs and break your neck, fall into traffic, crash your car, fall off your bike, ski into a tree, fall off a bridge/cliff/rooftop, etc, etc. It happens all the time. Read the police blotter in college towns. Someone DIES from alcohol related accidents every year.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Just a few ways

The Dangers of Alcohol

Alcohol contributes to 100,000 deaths annually, making it the third leading cause of preventable mortality in the U.S., after tobacco and diet/activity patterns. Alcohol is a nervous system depressant, which can affect virtually every organ in the body, since it goes directly into the bloodstream. It lowers inhibitions and impairs judgment, leading to unsafe behaviors, and eventually even death.

Alcohol has many side effects including altering your perceptions, dulling your senses, hindering coordination, and blocking memory functions. If you continue to use alcohol heavily, you could experience stomach ailments, sexual impotence, heart and central nervous system damage, loss of appetite, and blackouts.

When alcohol accumulates in your bloodstream, your errors will increase. Your reaction time slows down drastically, and you find that you are unable to control your vehicle, or other items, as you did prior to drinking. In addition, it creates a false sense of confidence- so you may not realize that you are out of control.

Drinking, even at moderate levels, can put you at risk for serious health and social problems. Alcohol interacts negatively with more than 150 medications, so check with your doctor or pharmacist prior to drinking any amount of alcohol, if you are taking any over the counter or prescription medication. The more heavily you drink, the greater the strain will be on your relationships with family, friends, and coworkers. It could even lead to the loss of your job or committing or being the victim of an act of violence.

If you have to ask yourself if you have a problem with alcohol, the chances are that you do. Many people use alcohol to escape from their problems, or to change their personalities. They have an inability to control their drinking, a high tolerance level for alcohol, and may suffer problems at work or in school as a result. If your family and friends are concerned about your problem, you should be too. It is a sad fact that an estimated 6.6 million children under the age of 18 live in households with at least one alcoholic parent.

You should also remember that alcoholism is just one of the diseases caused by alcohol. This disease can lead to others, such as cirrhosis and cancer of the liver. According to the NIAAA, "alcohol is typically found in the offender, victim or both in about half of all homicides and serious assaults, as well as in a high percentage of sex-related crimes, robberies, and incidents of domestic violence, and alcohol-related problems are disproportionately found among both juvenile and adult criminal offenders".

Help is available through the Alcoholics Anonymous organization. However, "alcohol-related problems are not likely to be reduced by strategies involving single interventions directed solely at the individual," says the NIAAA. "Economic, political, social and environmental forces that work together to encourage and perpetuate these problems must also be addressed."
http://www.engology.com/articlealcohol.htm

General Effects on the Body
Alcohol can affect the body in so many ways that researchers are having a hard time determining exactly what the consequences are from drinking. It is well known, however, that chronic consumption leads to many problems, some of them deadly.

* Alcoholism can kill in many different ways, and, in general, people who drink regularly have a higher rate of death from injury, violence, and some cancers.

* Frequent, heavy drinking is associated with a higher risk for alcohol-related medical disorders (pancreatitis, upper gastrointestinal bleeding, nerve damage, and impotence) than is episodic drinking or continuous drinking without intoxication.

* As people age, it takes fewer drinks to become intoxicated, and organs can be damaged by smaller amounts of alcohol than in younger people. Also, up to one-half of the 100 most prescribed drugs for older people react adversely with alcohol.

* Alcohol abusers who require surgery also have an increased risk of postoperative complications, including infections, bleeding, insufficient heart and lung functions, and problems with wound healing. Alcohol withdrawal symptoms after surgery may impose further stress on the patient and hinder recuperation.

The Effects of Hangover
Although not traditionally thought of as a medical problem, a 2000 review of studies found that hangovers have significant consequences that include changes in liver function, hormonal balance, and mental functioning and an increased risk for depression and cardiac events. Hangovers can impair job performance, increasing the risk for mistakes and accidents. Interestingly, hangovers are generally more common in light to moderate drinkers than heavy and chronic drinkers, suggesting that binge drinking can be as threatening as chronic drinking. Any man who drinks more than five drinks or any woman who has over three drinks is at risk for a hangover.

Overdose
Alcohol overdose can lead to death. This is a particular danger for adolescents who may want to impress their friends with their ability to drink alcohol but cannot yet gauge its effects. It is important to note that alcohol overdose doesn't only occur from any one heavy drinking incident, but may also occur from a constant infusion of alcohol in the blood stream.

Accidents, Suicide, and Murder
Alcohol plays a major role in more than half of all automobile fatalities. Less than two drinks can impair the ability to drive. Alcohol also increases the risk of accidental injuries from many other causes. One study of emergency room patients found that having had more than one drink doubled the risk of injury, and more than four drinks increased the risk eleven times. Another study reported that among emergency room patients who were admitted for injuries, 47% tested positive for alcohol and 35% were intoxicated. Of those who were intoxicated, 75% showed evidence of chronic alcoholism. This disease is the primary diagnosis in one quarter of all people who commit suicide, and alcohol is implicated in 67% of all murders.

Domestic Violence and Effects on Family
Alcoholic households are less cohesive, have more conflicts, and their members are less independent and expressive than households with nonalcoholic or recovering alcoholic parents. Domestic violence is a common consequence of alcohol abuse.
http://www.reutershealth.com/wellconnected/doc56.html
Old 08-16-2006, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Go read the MADD site and you will find more answers.
Alcohol doesn't just kill users.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

tHERE are lots of people who die from drunk driving, not just the the person who has been drinking, but also the other people in the other car and violent crimes
Old 08-16-2006, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

list-
-cirrhosis of the liver
--panceatitius
--heart probs
death from alcohol withdrwls( more common than people think)
--muscle deterioration
vitamin deficincy
--dehidraytion
--hemorrage
--gastrointestinal hell
accidents
--affects EVERY organ of the body neagativly--
except hearing(thats what they said in rehab anyway)
stop now or forever hold your peace
aa is good especially in the beginning
Laura
Old 08-16-2006, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just had a serious liver scare.. my enzymes were so far through the roof that they said a person could not live like that for very long. Thank god they came down. It was not 100 percent booze related, but still .. it's a very real fact that you can drink yourself into a coma.. or die due to alchohol poisoning
Old 08-16-2006, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done-With-It
The Dangers of Alcohol

Alcohol contributes to 100,000 deaths annually, making it the third leading cause of preventable mortality in the U.S., after tobacco and diet/activity patterns. Alcohol is a nervous system depressant, which can affect virtually every organ in the body, since it goes directly into the bloodstream. It lowers inhibitions and impairs judgment, leading to unsafe behaviors, and eventually even death.

Alcohol has many side effects including altering your perceptions, dulling your senses, hindering coordination, and blocking memory functions. If you continue to use alcohol heavily, you could experience stomach ailments, sexual impotence, heart and central nervous system damage, loss of appetite, and blackouts.

When alcohol accumulates in your bloodstream, your errors will increase. Your reaction time slows down drastically, and you find that you are unable to control your vehicle, or other items, as you did prior to drinking. In addition, it creates a false sense of confidence- so you may not realize that you are out of control.

Drinking, even at moderate levels, can put you at risk for serious health and social problems. Alcohol interacts negatively with more than 150 medications, so check with your doctor or pharmacist prior to drinking any amount of alcohol, if you are taking any over the counter or prescription medication. The more heavily you drink, the greater the strain will be on your relationships with family, friends, and coworkers. It could even lead to the loss of your job or committing or being the victim of an act of violence.

If you have to ask yourself if you have a problem with alcohol, the chances are that you do. Many people use alcohol to escape from their problems, or to change their personalities. They have an inability to control their drinking, a high tolerance level for alcohol, and may suffer problems at work or in school as a result. If your family and friends are concerned about your problem, you should be too. It is a sad fact that an estimated 6.6 million children under the age of 18 live in households with at least one alcoholic parent.

You should also remember that alcoholism is just one of the diseases caused by alcohol. This disease can lead to others, such as cirrhosis and cancer of the liver. According to the NIAAA, "alcohol is typically found in the offender, victim or both in about half of all homicides and serious assaults, as well as in a high percentage of sex-related crimes, robberies, and incidents of domestic violence, and alcohol-related problems are disproportionately found among both juvenile and adult criminal offenders".

Help is available through the Alcoholics Anonymous organization. However, "alcohol-related problems are not likely to be reduced by strategies involving single interventions directed solely at the individual," says the NIAAA. "Economic, political, social and environmental forces that work together to encourage and perpetuate these problems must also be addressed."
http://www.engology.com/articlealcohol.htm

General Effects on the Body
Alcohol can affect the body in so many ways that researchers are having a hard time determining exactly what the consequences are from drinking. It is well known, however, that chronic consumption leads to many problems, some of them deadly.

* Alcoholism can kill in many different ways, and, in general, people who drink regularly have a higher rate of death from injury, violence, and some cancers.

* Frequent, heavy drinking is associated with a higher risk for alcohol-related medical disorders (pancreatitis, upper gastrointestinal bleeding, nerve damage, and impotence) than is episodic drinking or continuous drinking without intoxication.

* As people age, it takes fewer drinks to become intoxicated, and organs can be damaged by smaller amounts of alcohol than in younger people. Also, up to one-half of the 100 most prescribed drugs for older people react adversely with alcohol.

* Alcohol abusers who require surgery also have an increased risk of postoperative complications, including infections, bleeding, insufficient heart and lung functions, and problems with wound healing. Alcohol withdrawal symptoms after surgery may impose further stress on the patient and hinder recuperation.

The Effects of Hangover
Although not traditionally thought of as a medical problem, a 2000 review of studies found that hangovers have significant consequences that include changes in liver function, hormonal balance, and mental functioning and an increased risk for depression and cardiac events. Hangovers can impair job performance, increasing the risk for mistakes and accidents. Interestingly, hangovers are generally more common in light to moderate drinkers than heavy and chronic drinkers, suggesting that binge drinking can be as threatening as chronic drinking. Any man who drinks more than five drinks or any woman who has over three drinks is at risk for a hangover.

Overdose
Alcohol overdose can lead to death. This is a particular danger for adolescents who may want to impress their friends with their ability to drink alcohol but cannot yet gauge its effects. It is important to note that alcohol overdose doesn't only occur from any one heavy drinking incident, but may also occur from a constant infusion of alcohol in the blood stream.

Accidents, Suicide, and Murder
Alcohol plays a major role in more than half of all automobile fatalities. Less than two drinks can impair the ability to drive. Alcohol also increases the risk of accidental injuries from many other causes. One study of emergency room patients found that having had more than one drink doubled the risk of injury, and more than four drinks increased the risk eleven times. Another study reported that among emergency room patients who were admitted for injuries, 47% tested positive for alcohol and 35% were intoxicated. Of those who were intoxicated, 75% showed evidence of chronic alcoholism. This disease is the primary diagnosis in one quarter of all people who commit suicide, and alcohol is implicated in 67% of all murders.

Domestic Violence and Effects on Family
Alcoholic households are less cohesive, have more conflicts, and their members are less independent and expressive than households with nonalcoholic or recovering alcoholic parents. Domestic violence is a common consequence of alcohol abuse.
http://www.reutershealth.com/wellconnected/doc56.html
Except for what is mentioned above, alcohol isn't so bad
Old 08-16-2006, 04:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Originally Posted by ibhmn
Except for what is mentioned above, alcohol isn't so bad
Ibhmn - you made me laugh out loud!!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 08:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

lol, I know that was cute.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

If it doesn't kill you physically, it will kill you emotionally and mentally. It encumbered my soul.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

People die from alcohol in a multitude of ways:

1. spirit dies and they die with it (suicide)
2. liver failure
3. kidney failure
4. heart attack (alcoholism causes high blood pressure)
5. organ failure (alcoholism causes high blood pressure which can damage all organs)
6. depression - suicide
7. brain dies as cells are killed off, can become "wet brain" i.e. brain dead
8. malnourishment - kills b/c of vit/min defficiencies

Hope that helps.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

wHEN i WENT TO the doc, they did blood tests on me for Bvitamin count and total vitamin and minerals count , anemia and hepatitis and the only problem I have is they told me my B12 count was very, very low, so told me I should be getting B12 shots, I have had one so far and I could tell a big difference later in the day I had so much more energy I need to go back and get another one soon, but luckily no Hepatitis and they checked for A, B and C and doc said my liver was ok and not anemic.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vesco
How do people die from alcohol?
Every minute of every hour of every day of every month of every year.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for info, especially done-with-it unfortunately I have experienced many of the scenarios you describe, anyway thanks again
Old 08-17-2006, 02:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Your welcome! I wish you luck, please take care of yourself!

:-)